Food Questions

DanielB

Just returned from the Disney Fantasy and looking forward to my Oasis of the Seas sailing in January.

After 32 cruises with Disney I know all the ins and outs and of course am lost and not sure what to expect with RCCL.

I have a mushroom allergy and it seems that everything on Disney is now made with mushrooms or mushroom oils, it was very discouraging to say the least.  What was even more troublesome for our traveling party was that we could not find a hot meal....everything was served luke warm in the main dining rooms.  After 3 nights of this we gave up and just ate at Cabanas (table service "quick service") on the top deck nightly.  Yes I expressed my concerns with the servers and head servers and nothing changed.  Obviously this has never been an issue before on our cruises and I don't wish to stir a debate.

So please tell me the food temperature on RCCL is hot.  

2 minutes ago, DanielB said:

It can be, but I've also experienced it be just warm.  It's the nature of banquet-style dining which is basically what the main dining room is at dinner time.

You are likely to have more luck at the specialty restaurants as the food is more likely made to order.   I've also found that the lunch in the main dining room has a buffet-style options that usually has a made to order station -- pasta, stir fry, etc. which gives you the opportunity to get a hot meal.

RCCL is also very good with allergies if you note it on your reservation.  They should have someone speak with you in the dining room to go over the menu with you to ensure that nothing has your allergen.  You can also ask for this in the Windjammer (buffet) and they will bring someone out to answer your questions and find something that works for you.

1 hour ago, DanielB said:

it seems that everything on Disney is now made with mushrooms or mushroom oils

I'm an extremely picky eater and Mushrooms are not on my OK list. Unfortunately thee are many dishes that have some sort of mushroom gravy or the like.  As far a mushroom oils, I never knew there was such a thing. RCCL kitchen staff will bend over backwards to make sure your are accommodated with exactly what you need for your meals. A custom dish for you most likely will be HOT also!!

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Truffles are mushrooms..and truffle oil is quite a thing these days!  

True, but I've read that most truffle oil doesn't actually have any truffle to it and instead just has flavorings and other elements that give it the same aroma and flavor profile as truffles. Which makes sense when you consider just how freaking expensive actual truffles are, and how short their shelf life is.

4 hours ago, DanielB said:

Just returned from the Disney Fantasy and looking forward to my Oasis of the Seas sailing in January.

After 32 cruises with Disney I know all the ins and outs and of course am lost and not sure what to expect with RCCL.

I have a mushroom allergy and it seems that everything on Disney is now made with mushrooms or mushroom oils, it was very discouraging to say the least.  What was even more troublesome for our traveling party was that we could not find a hot meal....everything was served luke warm in the main dining rooms.  After 3 nights of this we gave up and just ate at Cabanas (table service "quick service") on the top deck nightly.  Yes I expressed my concerns with the servers and head servers and nothing changed.  Obviously this has never been an issue before on our cruises and I don't wish to stir a debate.

I believe they prepare and have food staged in large volume that it would be kept warm under the lamps. Which I understand since I can't fathom the logistics of feeding so many people by doing cook to order in MDR. I saw on another thread that you can make a request to have the dish be hot with the server/waiter.

7 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You are likely to have more luck at the specialty restaurants as the food is more likely made to order.   I've also found that the lunch in the main dining room has a buffet-style options that usually has a made to order station -- pasta, stir fry, etc. which gives you the opportunity to get a hot meal.

And of course, if you book a Junior Suite or full suite, then you can dine in Coastal Kitchen, which has its own smaller galley and cooks everything made-to-order.

8 hours ago, DanielB said:

To echo what @AshleyDillo  has said, I found the staff in the Main Dining Room very conscientious about making sure we didn't have food allergies.  Ditto for the staff in Central Park 150 and Sabra.  As for the temperature, an occasional buffet item is luke warm, and I've had issues with breakfast in the Main Dining Room.  I'd say altogether 90% of my meals were hot enough in our last two cruises this year (May and September).  Have a great cruise on the Oasis....

On 10/7/2019 at 9:47 AM, MotleyCruiser said:

A custom dish for you most likely will be HOT also!!

We have always had excellent service in the food department. A friend brought his son onboard who was a picky eater. They made him his favorite meal (spaghetti) every night even though it wasn't on the menu. When the waiter noticed I wasn't interested in the entrees listed he asked me what my favorite cuisine is (Indian), and I was surprised when he brought me a plate! And if something arrives cold, I would never hesitate to send something back (politely). We sprung for Chops Grille on Empress in 2018, and the crab legs (or lobster... I cannot recall) arrived undercooked. They brought out an entirely new tray. 

On 10/7/2019 at 12:51 PM, TJ! said:

I believe they prepare and have food staged in large volume that it would be kept warm under the lamps. Which I understand since I can't fathom the logistics of feeding so many people by doing cook to order in MDR. 

Food is prepared as it would be for a large banquet. Food is prepared in large batches and plated as ordered. It's the only way to feed all those passengers in the time allotted.