Cash and Credit Card?

Hoot51

Hi everybody,

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I searched the boards, but couldn't find an answer).  I'm sailing my first cruise on RCI in November (HOTS) so I'm still trying to figure out a few things.  I've linked my credit card to my Sail Pass account, but I was wondering if we can add cash to our account once we board and use both cash and credit.  To clarify, I want to add $200 in cash to my onboard account, then when the $200 is spent, have it start charging the credit card I put on file.  Possible?

Thanks for the help!

49 minutes ago, Hoot51 said:

Hi everybody,

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I searched the boards, but couldn't find an answer).  I'm sailing my first cruise on RCI in November (HOTS) so I'm still trying to figure out a few things.  I've linked my credit card to my Sail Pass account, but I was wondering if we can add cash to our account once we board and use both cash and credit.  To clarify, I want to add $200 in cash to my onboard account, then when the $200 is spent, have it start charging the credit card I put on file.  Possible?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you can add cash once on board through guest services. Any balance left on your account through the last day of the cruise will go towards the credit card linked to your account.

You could however, also go to guest services on the last night and pay off your balance with any remaining cash you might have or put it on a different card. Otherwise at like 3 or 4 am it charges your card if I recall. 

22 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to unless you have a very low limit on your card.

Wow, this is extremely unnecessary! Very rude and uncalled for. 

11 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I don't see why you couldn't do this but I'm not sure I understand why you would want to unless you have a very low limit on your card.

11 hours ago, Jim82Mac said:

Wow, this is extremely unnecessary! Very rude and uncalled for. 

How is what I said rude?  Paying cash means your money is gone immediately.  Depending on when your credit card cycles compared to the last day of your vacation, the credit card charges won't be due until 1-2 months after the trip.  As long as you pay it off in full, you get the advantages of floating your bill and earning rewards.  Credit is far superior to cash as long as you aren't paying interest.  A low limit on the card would be an exception because you would need to avoid hitting that limit (and in fact might need to avoid hitting the half way point due to the daily holds followed by the actual charge temporarily hitting the limit).  This is why I said I don't understand why the original poster would want to add cash to a charge account.

3 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

How is what I said rude?  Paying cash means your money is gone immediately.  Depending on when your credit card cycles compared to the last day of your vacation, the credit card charges won't be due until 1-2 months after the trip.  As long as you pay it off in full, you get the advantages of floating your bill and earning rewards.  Credit is far superior to cash as long as you aren't paying interest.  A low limit on the card would be an exception because you would need to avoid hitting that limit (and in fact might need to avoid hitting the half way point due to the daily holds followed by the actual charge temporarily hitting the limit).  This is why I said I don't understand why the original poster would want to add cash to a charge account.

I don't think he was talking about the features of credit card vs cash. It was the fact you would assume he/she has a low limit just because they want to load an account with cash in advance. There are plenty of reasons for loading an account with cash instead of just low limit. (e.i. great for budgeting or knowing how much you spent to gauge how you'll move forward with the remainder of the cruise) I don't think it's because you "don't understand" rather "do not want to understand" It could have been worded or phrases differently. 

I read it the same way as @Jim82Mac

We're all on the same team here, no worries @Atlantix2000

22 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I don't see why you couldn't do this but I'm not sure I understand why you would want to unless you have a very low limit on your card.

I have plenty of credit available on my card, but we have a couple hundred dollars in cash for the cruise to use for drinks and entertainment and I thought that would be a good way to use it.