Extension cords or power outlets?

Welcome to the message boards!

Extension cords are on the banned items list.

If you require medical equipment such as a CPAP or other medical appliance you can request an extension cord and Royal will provide one.  In the case of CPAP needs they also provide a gallon of distilled water.  These can be requested ahead of time or from your cabin attendant on the first day.  

7 hours ago, twangster said:

If you require medical equipment such as a CPAP or other medical appliance you can request an extension cord and Royal will provide one.  In the case of CPAP needs they also provide a gallon of distilled water.  These can be requested ahead of time or from your cabin attendant on the first day.  

Since the banning of extension cords and power bars and with the hope of avoiding one of Royal's '25 Orange Extension Cords I have done the following:

- For my CPAP I bought a 15' cord to replace the standard 6' cord that goes from the outlet to the power transformer block .  You can buy them on Amazon as they are the same cords used for TVs and some computers.

- I bought a 220v plug adapter with USB ports.  This allow for an additional plug at the desk for dual voltage devices as well as 2 spots for charging phone, tablets etc.

- Lastly, I went to the hardware store and bought an old fashioned 1 to 3 square block 110v adapter.  

These days as most things are USB powered … having 5 standard outlets and 2 USB outlets is all we need.  Total investment was less than $20.

14 hours ago, Clear Laker said:

Since the banning of extension cords and power bars and with the hope of avoiding one of Royal's '25 Orange Extension Cords I have done the following:

- For my CPAP I bought a 15' cord to replace the standard 6' cord that goes from the outlet to the power transformer block .  You can buy them on Amazon as they are the same cords used for TVs and some computers.

- I bought a 220v plug adapter with USB ports.  This allow for an additional plug at the desk for dual voltage devices as well as 2 spots for charging phone, tablets etc.

- Lastly, I went to the hardware store and bought an old fashioned 1 to 3 square block 110v adapter.  

These days as most things are USB powered … having 5 standard outlets and 2 USB outlets is all we need.  Total investment was less than $20.

Thank you for the info on the CPAP power cord (just ordered one) was dreading the "Orange Extenstion Cord"

1 hour ago, SassMaster said:

Since surge protectors and power strips are banned, is there a limit to the power adapter?  I have one that plugs into the wall and it has 9 outlets.  

Just make sure that your power adaptor doesn't have a surge protector.  I've read that surge protectors don't work well with ships' electrical systems.  You don't want to be the cause of a power outage on your deck, do you?

'

It doesn't have a surge protector...just the plugs.  I don't mind buying another few, but don't want to if I don't have to.  Just trying to be prepared.  We each of multiple electronic devices and charge our portable chargers at night along with the phones and ipads.  Should we just get the adapters with only USB?  

23 minutes ago, SassMaster said:

It doesn't have a surge protector...just the plugs.  I don't mind buying another few, but don't want to if I don't have to.  Just trying to be prepared.  We each of multiple electronic devices and charge our portable chargers at night along with the phones and ipads.  Should we just get the adapters with only USB?  

Much of it depends on the inspectors at embarkation.  Some of them may not even pay attention to your power adapter.  But some may be more strict and decide to confiscate it.

Been searching and wondering the same thing...  Between 4 camera batteries, two cell phones, two tablets, one laptop, I am worried about having enough outlets.   On the Oasis of the Seas youtube videos I have watched, the three outlet desk setup only looks good for two plugs if they have the typical brick style plug.  I have not seen a video where I can figure out how many total outlets are in a room.

How many total outlets available in an outside balcony room on the Oasis of the Seas (larger 80 square foot balcony if that matters)?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, gwbaker said:

Been searching and wondering the same thing...  Between 4 camera batteries, two cell phones, two tablets, one laptop, I am worried about having enough outlets.   On the Oasis of the Seas youtube videos I have watched, the three outlet desk setup only looks good for two plugs if they have the typical brick style plug.  I have not seen a video where I can figure out how many total outlets are in a room.

How many total outlets available in an outside balcony room on the Oasis of the Seas (larger 80 square foot balcony if that matters)?

Thanks!

There is 2 Of the 110v outlets either next to the bed or below the bed. You will also see that there is 1 of the 220v outlets and 2 of the 110v outlets under the vanity mirror but above the desk.

Since cell phones and tablets are charged via the usb cable you can bring a usb charging hub to use for those devices or you can charge them just by plugging the charging cables for the cell phones and tablets into the USB ports on your laptop (assuming your laptop has USB ports).

When your on the ship you can also ask your room attendant to bring you a few power strips. 

16 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Just make sure that your power adaptor doesn't have a surge protector.  I've read that surge protectors don't work well with ships' electrical systems.  You don't want to be the cause of a power outage on your deck, do you?

'

It’s not just surge protectors that don’t work on ships, some power strips also don’t work on ships either. 

in November 2018 I purchased a travel adapter on amazon that was supposed to work on cruise ships, which did work for the entire length of my 7-night cruise which was on Oasis in December 2018, but when I took the exact same travel adapter for my next 7-night cruise which was on Harmony in April 2019, went to plug the adapter in the American & European outlets I had noticed he when I plugged my laptop charger into the adapter and then connected the charger to my laptop that it did not work using either the American or European outlets.

You can go online or as I did to IKEA and purchased a triple USB power outlet with high output to charge our phones, cameras, tablets, power bank, etc. We bring two of them and have not had any worries. Easy enough to charge overnight and place back in the drawers during the day. Just made sure I brought enough USB to device cords. ?

On 10/6/2019 at 6:13 PM, Clear Laker said:

@Clear Laker any links or pics of what you purchased for the 220v and the 110v adapter.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:41 AM, AshleyDillo said:

Allure of the Seas definitely does.  They are down on the floor behind the bed and unless you're really looking for it you probably wouldn't even notice.

Agreed. In Grand Suite,  pull the bed away from the wall and there's one near the nightstand about a foot off the ground. There's also one on the wall by the balcony door behind the couch if needed.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The adapters are great, just be sure that the device you are plugging in is properly rated in both voltage and frequency or you will burn up your device. Most cellular devices are fine but hair dryers etc are not unless they are duel voltage 

Good point, always read the label & check voltage of device you are plugging in.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, KaydenDeen said:

Is this considered a banned item? I already have a European adapter and a cruise approved power strip without a surge protector so maybe this is overkill. Just wanted to know before I embark on Saturday. Thanks in advance. 

59DBEA6B-E81B-47A8-B83C-36652C2F69D3.jpeg

It's hard to know.  Some port employees will simply deny any power strip at all which is why there are so many recommendations for multi-port USB chargers.  There's really no such thing as a cruise approved power strip.  Some manufacturers put that label on their device but it's not an official endorsement.  Even if it meets all the rules of the cruise line, the people doing the inspections work for the port not the cruise line, and if they say no, that's that.

54 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

It's hard to know.  Some port employees will simply deny any power strip at all which is why there are so many recommendations for multi-port USB chargers.  There's really no such thing as a cruise approved power strip.  Some manufacturers put that label on their device but it's not an official endorsement.  Even if it meets all the rules of the cruise line, the people doing the inspections work for the port not the cruise line, and if they say no, that's that.

Thanks so much for the response!