DEALS DEALS DEALS

Lakew92

I'm still waiting several months for my first sailing to actually hit final payment date, never mind embark, but from speaking with some of the folks here and in "the other place" and also watching the prices on my booked cruise and some others I've been interested in, I've observed a few things:

• Celebrity, even more than Royal, appears to steadily raise their rates as you get closer to final payment date; especially true on very popular / unique sailings like the one I'm booked on.
  • Getting a state resident offer seems to be the best way to get a really good rate, as long as you're OK with foregoing perks like included drink package / gratuities / internet, and you're lucky enough to live in a state where those rates are offered (which, sadly, seems to be limited to states with a home port for the cruise line and sometimes their immediate neighbors)
  • While I've yet to experience this myself, I have read multiple anecdotal accounts of people who got steep reductions in price for their sailing as it got very close to, or just after, final payment and the ship (thanks to earlier really high pricing) failed to fill up; the drops were enough to let some people move from inside to Verandah for little or no money; or a Verandah room to a Sky Suite or better for a relatively small bump in price.

That last point may or may not hold true now that Celebrity has the same kind of upgrade bidding program that Royal offers (and in fact started before Royal). Pinging @michelle and @AnnetteJackson to see if maybe they are aware of the truth of these last-minute price drops and how they've held up with upgrade bidding in effect. If still true, it would be an interesting counterpoint to Royal, where the last-minute price drops have pretty much disappeared with the advent of Royal UP and NRD-only bookings for suites.

We're on our first Celebrity sailing in two weeks, and got a kick ass resident deal about 11 months out.  We booked at what I thought was a low price, then two weeks later the resident rate came out, it is was more than half what we had originally booked at.

I've only seen the prices go up since then.  No perks in our deal, but they did offer another resident rate a couple months later for twice the price, included two perks but we'd have to change to non-refundable and we weren't willing to do that.  Resident deals are not advertised, you'd need to stalk the reservation site to pick one up or have a TA willing to do the stalking for you.  

I've been watching the prices for our sailing and they have only gone up in the last 11 months, so I think booking early is good.  Every now and then I compare the sale price to the original rate we got, and it's never been so cheap.

I can tell you that Celebrity does not use dynamic pricing with their drink packages.  They are same price, for every sailing on every ship.  In the last 11 months there was ONE discounted sale on them that made it worth booking.  Every now and then you'll see 10% off, but never more than that.  

In general terms deals will be found off peak.  Sometimes deals can be found very close to sail date.  In other cases the best deals are found by booking as soon as possible when new cruises are made available to book.  

For Celebrity, many people are focused on the Edge.  In some cases that has made other ships relative deals.  M class ships are being refreshed and can be a great deal for some itineraries.  Even some Solstice class deals can be found.    With more Edge class ships coming there is certain section of the loyal X fan base that is holding back waiting to book the new ships.  That can create opportunity if you are a bargain hunter who doesn't need to sail on the newest and latest ships.  

I have found some good deals off peak and also some last minute deals as well as (FL) resident rates.

I booked a cruise on Equinox for this upcoming January about 11 months prior.  They were including all four perks and the base price was good so we decided to upgrade from our usual verandah room to concierge class.  I have seen a lower price but not with the perks included and especially after the perks were added.  My wife likes her celebrity perks so who am I to argue?

I do get the promotional emails from Celebrity for cruise deals and I have seen some good prices on a variety of room categories and not just inside rooms on last minute deals.  I have to admit that some of them are intriguing especially if you aren't super particular about the ship or itinerary.  Granted they aren't offering deals on Edge but almost every other ship has an occasional deal.  

The resident rate (FL) emails haven't blown me away in part because it doesn't include any perks but there are sometimes some good options.

I wish I could say that this always happens... but it doens't.  It really all depends on who has booked what on the ship along with who has signed up for the upgrade program.   You could wait and book a last minute deal, but you would be at the mercy of what is left on the sailing that you wanted and it might be MORE than what you could have paid in the beginning - OR - it could be a steal.  Not cruising when everyone else cruises or to the locations that everyone else books can help on getting deals.  I typically tell clients to book what they are comfortable paying and if we can reduce it or upgrade with another deal - its a win because you booked what you wanted in the first place.  If you go into this booking and inside assuming you will be able to upgrade for a small fee or for the same rate, you may be upset with the price you end up paying or the location of where your room is.  This is the case for Royal and Celebrity .

I just recently booked two different round trips on the Eclipse out of Vancouver. Both are not standard cruises as they are shoulder season (one in spring, one in fall). I have not cruised Celebrity before however the deals offered were irresistible and included gratuities, UBP, and $150 per person OBC (and this was for an inside cabin!). This combined with the ease of no airfare it was a no-brainer for easy getaways (plus they both head south instead of to Alaska lol).  

On ‎2019‎/‎10‎/‎05 at 6:28 AM, JLMoran said:

While I've yet to experience this myself, I have read multiple anecdotal accounts of people who got steep reductions in price for their sailing as it got very close to, or just after, final payment and the ship (thanks to earlier really high pricing) failed to fill up; the drops were enough to let some people move from inside to Verandah for little or no money; or a Verandah room to a Sky Suite or better for a relatively small bump in price.

I really hope this happens for me!

They have some GREAT deals right now for the next 3 mths or so if you check.

I do get a lot of emails from them as I cruised once with them back in 2018 and get some "repeat" guest offers......like $600 cruise with all 4 perks or a $300 4 day cruise with ALL perks included..its basically a free cruise to me at that point...just haven't been able to take advantage yet of one of those offers...:61_sob: