Points given on solo cabins when you reach 340 points?

nigel p

14 hours ago, nigel p said:

Can anyone advise on points given on solo cabins when you reach 340 points normally I get double points for paying double occupancy, do they reduce it to 1.5 ?

Solo cruises have to pay a single supplement fee of either 150% or 200% and they will get 2 points per night for staying in balcony or below, and if a solo cruiser is staying in a suite then they will get 3 points per night.

14 hours ago, nigel p said:

Can anyone advise on points given on solo cabins when you reach 340 points normally I get double points for paying double occupancy, do they reduce it to 1.5 ?

@nigel p

To be clear - solo cabins are 1 point per night.

Double points for non- solo cabins if you are sailing solo.

33 minutes ago, Bakerette said:

and if a solo cruiser is staying in a suite then they will get 3 points per night.

and that

Just to further clarify...

The CAS terms and conditions has verbiage that is open to interpretation so all we can do is report what the CAS has been doing lately. 

In my experience (never using travel agency rates) at the moment it is the cabin type that has determined my points multiplier.  For a single traveler, studio cabins receive one point per night, standard double occupancy cabins receive two points per night and suites (Junior and above) receive three points per night.  This has been regardless of any single supplement paid or reduced, above or below 340 points.

The official verbiage is:

• One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms. All other rates including Travel Agent rates are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category including reduced rate upgrades. Allow up to 30 days from the date of debarkation for Cruise Points to post to your account. Requests to add missing Cruise Points may be submitted up to 12 months after the debarkation date of your sailing.

I have been above 340 for over 13 cruises.  Over the course of those 13 cruises above 340 I have at times paid no single supplement (100%), 150% single supplement and 200% single supplement.  In all cases I received double (standard cabins) or triple points (Junior and Grand Suites).  I have not booked into a studio cabin so none of my cruises were single point per night.

When I have paid 100% single supplement I inquired with CAS to see if double and triple points would be offered for that cruise for single guests.  They assured me they would be.  

The 150% reduced single supplement for being at or above 340 does have some restrictions.  It does not apply to a cruise that departs in July or August, certain holidays or cruise voyage packages.  The official verbiage is:

• Single members must have 340 Cruise Points earned in order to receive the single cruise fare at 150%. This offer is based on availability with certain restrictions. Ocean Voyage Packages, Holiday sailings (Christmas and New Year) and the months of July and August are not included in this offer.

CAS balcony discounts are prorated for single cruisers.  For two eligible guests booking into a balcony the CAS balcony discount may be $X but for a single eligible cruiser the balcony discount is something less than $X.  

• Balcony and Suite Discounts are a per stateroom discount applicable on balcony and suite categories only available to Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Crown & Anchor Society members. Savings are not redeemable for cash and are non-transferable. When reserving, a valid Crown & Anchor Society membership number must be included in the reservation. Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Crown & Anchor Society members will receive an increased discount for making a reservation for a sail date outside of six (6) months. Within six (6) months of sailing, if the guest cancels and reinstates the booking, applies a fare change, changes categories, or changes the ship or sail date of the booking, the discount will be automatically adjusted to the lower value. This offer can only be combined with the Onboard Booking Bonus while making a reservation onboard a Royal Caribbean ship. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares and is not combinable with any other promotion or offer, including, but not limited to Shareholder Benefits, and other dollars off and onboard credit offers, MyCruiseSM Upgrades, Companion Fare and Free Cruise promotions and benefits.  Single occupancy guests paying less than 200% cruise fare will be eligible for a prorated value of the Offer.

Note that CAS verbiage does not specifically state triple points for a single cruiser in a suite but that has been what they have been providing in practice regardless of being above or below 340 points.

When it comes time to consider the RoyalUp upgrade program, single cruisers always pay a 200% upgrade charge.  If you bid $100 for an upgrade, that is doubled to $200 as you step through submitting a bid.  Being at or above 340 points has no bearing, single cruises pay twice the bid amount no different than two people on a booking submitting a bid. Successful RoyalUp bids into a suite do not include any extra points per night that you would not have received for the original booking.  

The official discount code for the reduced single supplement is DP340.  Any guest over 340 points can apply this discount code along with their CAS number when making a booking on the Royal website.  If you use a travel agent they can use the DP340 discount code along with your CAS number to price a cruise. 

Group cruises, both the type offered here on the blog and anytime a travel agent has group space available typically do not include a reduced single supplement rate.  To have a travel agent book you into group space you typically must pay 200% single supplement even if you are above 340 points.  Having said that they can sometimes take a direct booking that you made yourself and import that into the group space.  That may not improve your price but it may make you eligible for other group space promotions. 

Typically charter cruises do not include reduced single supplement rates.  

When visiting NextCruise on board they can price reduced single supplement rates for anyone above 340 points.   Make sure to instruct them to do so.  In some cases they don't always know the rules and may suggest that cruises outside of July & August or other holidays such as Memorial or Labor Day are not eligible.  They are, stand your ground and politely request they apply DP340 anyways.

The reduced single supplement for being above 340 points does nothing when you book a studio cabin.  You rate will be the same as everyone else booking a studio cabin.  CAS balcony discount might apply to studio balcony cabins but does not for studio interior cabins.

Frequently my point multipliers for being solo are not automatically awarded.  A simple and friendly phone call has always corrected it.   

• Matt changed the title to Points given on solo cabins when you reach 340 points?
1 hour ago, twangster said:

The official verbiage is:

• One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms. All other rates including Travel Agent rates are excluded from single price type extra point promotion.

@StephanieH, please explain this part to me.

Travel agent rates are not the price you pay through an agent but they are heavily reduced rates that we as agents can get for ourselves occasionally. As a consumer you could get offered "travel agent friends and family" pricing which is an unadvertised promo from Royal that might be used to help fill a ship that isn't selling that well (agent can offer it just not use the pricing in advertising).

Hope that helps a bit, Rob

• 1 month later...

If you book a SOLO (one traveler) studio cabin and then you "Royal up" to a suite where you have to pay the "Royal Up" amount twice (your bid, x2), will you get at least the double points? (ie; a 7 day cruise =14 points in a regular room). I realize a Studio is not doubled, but if you Royal up you do get charged twice.