Star Class Unpacking

5 minutes ago, whenismynextcruise said:

There is a level of cabin where people unpack for you??? I want to travel like the 1%.....

21 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I have overheard it mentioned before.  I know they will carry your luggage up the stairs in the loft suites for you.

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am not sure if it has ever been done but if you look at the literature, it does somewhat imply that they could.  I have never heard of anyone actually doing this though.

Got confirmation from Sunil (our royal genie in October 12 sailing) it can be arranged. We are going to have them unpack for us while we get massages! 

While I guess it CAN be done, we have never asked for it to be done.  I am too picky about my stuff and I would not be comfortable with anyone else unpacking for me....that's just me.

If you are in a loft suite you need to make SURE that the Genie knows you want your bags taken upstairs.  If you don't say anything to them your bags will be left downstairs.  No bueno.

Personally, I’d never want some random stranger to unpack and put my stuff away.  I could see if it were your own personal butler at home who does that stuff for you all the time and knows how and where you like things, but I can’t see how a stranger putting your stuff where they think is good would be convenient.  I’d be going crazy after trying to figure out where everything was.

5 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Is this a joke?  My mouth is still hanging open!  If it is true I'm not sure the wife would want some stranger fondling her undies but then again she might like it.  This is good for a chuckle!

We are going to keep our “delicates and personal items” in a small carry on and only have them unpack our main clothes that will be hung up in the wardrobe. 

21 minutes ago, Royalnewbie96 said:

We are going to keep our “delicates and personal items” in a small carry on and only have them unpack our main clothes that will be hung up in the wardrobe. 

Just remember....your carry on is going to go through an x-ray scan. Some delicate and personal items stick out like a sore thumb. If you see the belt stop and reverse direction and security starts to gather around the screen.........

I'm also a  little confused.  Has anyone had laundry done on a cruise? They're now handling your dirty clothes. Just as a disclaimer, I  have never had anyone unpack for me but I did see it listed as a service for Celebrity and I'm pretty sure it is on most luxury lines.

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

I think people are missing a point. This is an option.  For elderly and disabled people this is a wonderful service. If someone has it as a benefit that comes with their room and they want it done. It's their vacation. Let them do as they please. It certainly doesn't  affect anyone else.

I don’t disagree that for the cost of Star Class this is not really an unreasonable request and is truly viable for some guest as you mentioned.  

My comment, jokingly, was that it doesn’t seem terribly helpful for most.  I don’t care what they touch and yes laundry gets done so they are touching everything anyway.  If the OP wanted it done so they can go do something else, the problem is they have to orient themselves to where things were placed.  I may like certain things together (socks and underclothes) or in a top drawer vs bottom drawer so aside from just finding things does it make sense to me.  Not a big deal for me, or most people, but could be frustrating. 

To me this is what has made cruising less and less desirable for us average people. The greater space and benefits people are taking up beacuse they have the money to pay for it (and dont say but I have worked hard, many people work hard just in lower paying jobs) thus reducing everyone elses cruise experience. 

Seriously dedicated times for thing like florider, best seats at the theatre and especially pools shouldnt even be an option.

I am with everybody else, although it is a great perk, personally I would not want them to do it, and it's not about the "unmentionables", it is everything else. 

• My husband and I are particular about how we put our clothes away...hubby being retired military, is let's say... OCD to an nth degree.  I.E.  All of his work out clothes go in one drawer, that means shirts, shorts AND socks.  IOWs, his gym socks would not be in the drawer with his dress socks.  His work out tee shirts would not be in the drawer with his white tee shirts for his dress shirts.  His gym shorts would not be in the same drawer as his lounge pants.  He hangs up his suit and sportscoats with the shirts and ties he will be wearing that night.  The genie would not know that, so in the end he would be re-doing everything the Genie did.  It would take him longer to fix everything they unpacked than if he just unpacked it himself.
  •  I am not as bad, but I do have that same OCD when it comes to things like, sunscreen, aloe, lotion, etc. I keep those in different areas.  I do not spray on sunscreen in the bathroom and that is probably where they would leave it.  I keep hand lotion by my  bed to use right before I go to sleep and as soon as I wake up.   

Good on you for doing it, and you should at that price, but my suggestion would be ….be prepared to go:  DIDN'T we pack XYZ? and than wait for the Genie to say whether or not they recall unpacking.

Ultimately, like many things I'm sure it isn't the Genie doing the unpacking. Rather the Genie I'm sure is going to delegate the task either the Suite Attendant or another member of the housekeeping staff.

Now Celebrity is a different story. The Butler is the one that handles a majority of the personalized tasks. Want breakfast delivered in the morning, guess who is coming in and setting up. Other hand with Star class it is a member of the room service team, most of the time with a supervisor as well.

Going back to Celebrity, remember the last day talking to the Butler and made a passing joke about packing up. Without any hesitation he made the statement he'd could do the packing. Didn't take him up on the offer but is does show the willingness to do the task.

@CGTLH  Unpacking my stuff, I would pass bc of the reasons I already stated.  Packing my stuff up in the end, GO FOR IT bc all I am going to do when I get home is dump it in my laundry room and sort out what gets thrown in the washer and what goes into the dry cleaning pile.

I would also say in the end for the Genie or the passenger it takes what? 10 -- 15 mins at tops to unload your luggage.  I am sure it is not a biggie to the staff.

I wish people would stay nice and positive.  I would be sad if this turned into something like that other place.  If you sail in Star Class, enjoy the perks, you deserve them.  If you sail in the smallest inside cabin, enjoy the cruise, don't stress about what others do, say or wear.    Unless they share the drink package, then knock yourself out.

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

I wish people would stay nice and positive.  I would be sad if this turned into something like that other place.  If you sail in Star Class, enjoy the perks, you deserve them.  If you sail in the smallest inside cabin, enjoy the cruise, don't stress about what others do, say or wear.    Unless they share the drink package, then knock yourself out.

I love that sentiment, it’s the best part of this message board and reason why so many of the CC and FB groups are useless. 
Also, I think people vastly over estimate the costs of a star class cruise during off peak times, for what they wanted for a boardwalk balcony on Oasis this thanksgiving for 4 people we were able to book a  Star Class suite for earlier November next year. 

5 hours ago, MrMarc said:

+infinity

While we cruise #gty interior, there will be a day when we will splurge.  Until that day, I want to read all about others who have made the choice to do so.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:17 AM, MikeK said:

Is this a joke?  My mouth is still hanging open!  If it is true I'm not sure the wife would want some stranger fondling her undies but then again she might like it.  This is good for a chuckle!

Heck, I'd ask for them to make little animals out of them on the bed just like the towels!  ?

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, bretts173 said:

To me this is what has made cruising less and less desirable for us average people. The greater space and benefits people are taking up beacuse they have the money to pay for it (and dont say but I have worked hard, many people work hard just in lower paying jobs) thus reducing everyone elses cruise experience. 

Seriously dedicated times for thing like florider, best seats at the theatre and especially pools shouldnt even be an option.

While I can certainly understand the way you feel and you certainly have the right to your opinion, I really think the above is a bit inflammatory; i.e. not all  thoughts are helpful  and need to be published. I am a newcomer here;  trying to learn as much about STAR CLASS as possible. I have cruised may times with another TOP Cruise Company (ALL Concierge Class) and I can assure you that I did work hard to get to where I am. If a person is entitled to a certain benefit, why do you think that it distracts from your experience. Just saying...

I will likely never be able to afford Star Class (or if I can, I'd be more likely to book a different type of cruise, such as Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific, or Azamara Ireland Intensive), however I am happy for those who can, and do, enjoy Star Class cruising.  Many of them I consider my "new friends", even though I've never met them yet in person.  I really enjoy when they share their Star Class (and other) cruise experiences.  I don't feel that any of my experience is taken away by anything they experience.  Happy cruising!!!

I work two jobs that brings my hours to 68, my brother is a mechanical engineer who works almost 70hrs a week. We afford what we can and if Sea or Sky class is in our reach we see no reason why we cannot splurge. If you book early, you have ample time to save towards the goal. I couldn't fathom spending the money for star class. I just don't really want to be spoiled like that. Spending $20,000 for just a cruise seems like a waste. I could do three luxury ones for that prices but that is my perspective. What another person spends doesn't take away from my enjoyment.

With that being said IF I had spent all that money I would want to get the value of it. I would be glad for them to unpack, even if i have to reorganize everything.