Transportation from airport to cruise port

GeorgeC

Hi everyone,

We decided to fly to our cruise port this time.  Previously I have driven, so I am unfamiliar with the types of transportation from the airport to the cruise port, and possibly to a hotel in between.  We are flying into Orlando, and will sail out of Port Canaveral, and have a few questions. We were planning on buying the airplane tickets through Air2Sea via Royal Caribbean. 

1.  What are the advantages of flying in a day in advance? 

2. Shuttle Transfers through Air2Sea are $70 per person round trip. Are there more affordable quality options?

3. What are the affordable hotel options in the Port Canaveral location? We will require 2 rooms. 

Thanks,

George

So couple of things...

Royal transfers operate the day of the cruise and go from Airport (MCO) to ship.  They won't take you to a hotel in the PC area the day before.  Some 3rd party shuttles are the same way - geared to drop off at the ship and not hotels in the PC area.

Renting a car is a solid option and dropping it off near the port on cruise day.    Orlando is the car rental capital of Florida so there are often cheap rates and it gives you a lot of flexibility.   

I typically stay near the airport and shuttle over to the port in the morning.  Orlando airport hotels are often cheaper and plentiful.  Staying in Orlando allows you to use a free hotel shuttle from the airport then a shuttle service such as Cortrans can take you to the port on cruise day.  It's $20 per person one way, $40 round trip.  

Uber/Lyft another option that can take you from the airport to a PC area hotel any time, any day.  Likely around  $60 - $80 one way but this covers everyone in your group if you can fit in one car.  

34 minutes ago, GeorgeC said:

What are the advantages of flying in a day in advance? 

It prevents a travel delay from putting your cruise vacation at risk.

35 minutes ago, GeorgeC said:

Shuttle Transfers through Air2Sea are $70 per person round trip. Are there more affordable quality options?

Renting a car or Lyft/Uber are almost always cheaper.

Thanks for the info guys, I will have 6 people total in my party. 4 adults and 2 kids.  I like the idea of renting a car (would have to be a suburban or something) and dropping it off near the port the day of the cruise, then taking a shuttle back to the airport when we return.  Im not familiar with Florida at all, is there any place that would offer something like that? 

Most of the car rental companies offer one way rentals, I'd check the prices on all of them; it was actually cheaper to rent a car than use the transfer from Royal..  You might also think of the rental car on your return trip it may be cheaper.  I've used rentals both ways in Orlando but we always come in the day before and stay the night after the cruise.   Having a car allows you to be mobile and see things, go out to eat etc.  

Here's the scenario I use at Port Canaveral.

Rent a car from Hertz at the airport with a 1 way rental.

Drive your rental car from the airport to Coco Beach/Cape Canaveral.  Use the car all day long to do whatever you want to do...visit Cape Canaveral for the day, go to an amusement park....whatever.  Use it all day and as long into the night as you want to.

Stay at the Residence Inn on Astronaut Blvd.  The Hertz office adjoins the Residence Inn parking lot so you can return your car anytime of the day or night (even after hours) and just walk from the Hertz office to your hotel.  The hotel has a shuttle to the port the next day (I believe there is a charge) or take an Uber or taxi.  It is very close.

It's by far the easiest scenario.