Liberty's Tidal Wave rumored to be operational today

Wilson

I can't believe RC is installing water slides on their ships. Those things are dangerous. Tidal Wave in particular looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I personally witnessed an incident when I went up there to check to see how they were operating to make a decision whether to ride them or not. Needless to say, my decision was a resounding NO.

I tend to disagree. Many cruise ships, across a few different fleets have had water slides for years.  

Doesn't mean they're safe. Incidents are not reported or if reported, aren't made public.

Quick Google search will show that water slides have the highest amount of accidents which is more significant considering they are among the lowest number of rides of that type. I'm not explaining this well, there are lots more roller coasters than water slides but fewer accidents on coasters. More accidents on fewer water slides.

I can give my personal experience which I realize is a very small sample.  I've gone on a water slide twice. Both times I had a problem. The first time was a vertical drop slide, I threw out my arms in reflex when I dropped and scraped my elbow.  Did not report this.

The second time was a speed slide. When I came out the bottom of the slide, I slipped under the water and became disoriented. Took me about 15 seconds of floundering about before I surfaced. At no time did anyone there assist me while I was under the water. Did not report this.

Water slides scare me. Seeing those water slides on Liberty overhanging the ship scares me. Seeing that open Tidal Wave slide scares me - I can just picture someone getting slung off the ship. Traipsing up to the slides to see how they worked and standing there less than a minute, seeing a woman exit the bottom of the slide and like me, experiencing a problem - that scared me.

I'm not a fuddy duddy. I've ridden roller coasters dozens of times over 40+ years without a single incident. I'll be the first in line for the meanest, baddest roller coaster, I guarantee. Feel free to risk your livlihood using a water slide. I'll pass, thanks.

Doesn't mean they're safe. Incidents are not reported or if reported, aren't made public.

Water slides scare me. Seeing those water slides on Liberty overhanging the ship scares me. Seeing that open Tidal Wave slide scares me - I can just picture someone getting slung off the ship. Traipsing up to the slides to see how they worked and standing there less than a minute, seeing a woman exit the bottom of the slide and like me, experiencing a problem - that scared me.

I'm not a fuddy duddy. I've ridden roller coasters dozens of times over 40+ years without a single incident. I'll be the first in line for the meanest, baddest roller coaster, I guarantee. Feel free to risk your livlihood using a water slide. I'll pass, thanks.

If you really want to be scared try a water slide in a third world country with little or no oversight and inspection. Now that is really a adventure. Water slides are not for everyone, like so many other things and can involve some risk. Just traveling on the trip has some risk but the level for most people is acceptable. I love being on small boats with swells and waves, this makes many people sea sick, so each person should do what they believe is best for them.

As for water slides on Royal ships one thing is for sure. They are among the best design, maintain, and inspected in the World. Not only passing every safety inspection that slides on land have but also the USCG Inspections. So if you want to ride a water slide the slides on Royal Ships are the ones to pick.

As for water slides on Royal ships one thing is for sure. They are among the best design, maintain, and inspected in the World. Not only passing every safety inspection that slides on land have but also the USCG Inspections. So if you want to ride a water slide the slides on Royal Ships are the ones to pick.

Well said.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest from a guest on there this week:

Just talked to a guy working slides. He said he rode big one last week and got slammed bad. The fix is not just padding but controlling the water force.

Ouch! At least that fits the name of the slide. ;)

I'm really surprised this was not built full scale and POC'd before installing and advertizing on a ship!

I don't think they anticipated the rafts reaching all the way up the slide.  But when they tested it and found this to be the case they realized the potential for a lawsuit and went ahead and ordered the padding. 

I'm sure they have a team of engineers on this that will do whatever it takes to correct the situation and have this up and running. It is now not about the costs or problems it is all about the PR. Even if this tuns into the most expensive Tidal Wave ride afloat it will be working and safe.  

This reminds me of the Qantas Airlines runway crash Bangkok 1999. A incoming Qantas 747 landed long and ran off the end of the runway. No one was killing or even really injured, except for the plane. Qantas spent  over $100 million repairing this old 747-400. Which was much more than the market value or insurance payment.  WHY? So the company could continue with the advertising and PR claim that they had never lost a jet aircraft in a crash. It was all about the Public Relations, same thing that Royal I believe will do with Tidal Wave.

Ditto on the pre-engineering....One would think they would fully test it in the shop.

I've heard two versions of the issue:

#1 - People are hitting the top (where the RCI logo is)

#2 - People are hitting the wall at the end of the ride.

If it's #1, Any padding would be really ugly and would probably fall apart with water, sun and salt exposure. There has to be a way to slow the raft down out of the chute.

If it's #2, I would think they can put a rubber mat or something like that in the water to slow the raft down as it comes into the tube at the end.

We'll be on Liberty in July. Hopefully they'll have a solution by then......

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Google search will show that water slides have the highest amount of accidents which is more significant considering they are among the lowest number of rides of that type. I'm not explaining this well, there are lots more roller coasters than water slides but fewer accidents on coasters. More accidents on fewer water slides.

The second time was a speed slide. When I came out the bottom of the slide, I slipped under the water and became disoriented. Took me about 15 seconds of floundering about before I surfaced. At no time did anyone there assist me while I was under the water. Did not report this.

Quick remedy to this for future reference:  During my Dive Training they intentionally knocked the reg out of our mouth and also disoriented us.  This is standard training ops.  Easy remedy:  Bubbles always go to the top (UP).   Just follow the bubbles.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on reaching Pinnacle ! Tell us about your event !

It was pretty good. Received our Gold Cards on Wednesday afternoon, at the Top Tier event on Thursday evening we were presented with a certificate, champagne, crystal block and a model ship that had many friends and crew signatures (provided by friends) on it. Some pictures provided of the event. That evening after the Diamond lounge closed we had about 50 friends and crew give us a nice party. On Friday we were taken to Chops by some crew. It was a very nice week.

It was pretty good. Received our Gold Cards on Wednesday afternoon, at the Top Tier event on Thursday evening we were presented with a certificate, champagne, crystal block and a model ship that had many friends and crew signatures (provided by friends) on it. Some pictures provided of the event. That evening after the Diamond lounge closed we had about 50 friends and crew give us a nice party. On Friday we were taken to Chops by some crew. It was a very nice week.

So glad that they really "did it up" for you. Congratulations again ! I know you've been working really hard to get there.

• 4 weeks later...

Last week while on Liberty we were told this would happen. The info I was receiving from crew was so inconsistent I was afraid to post it up. I guess that one crew member actually had current info. LoL