Room configuration for 4

SteveinSC

Before I see the remarks....yes, were doing exactly what everyone says NOT to do, and we booked one interior room for my family of 4. Im curious what the room configuration will be? Im guessing my wife and I will be separated under each "bunk" bed for our boys? Anyone have experience with this?  

It depends what kind of cabin you booked. Check your deck plans, and use the symbol next to your cabin number to see if it's 2 pullman beds (bunks that come down from the ceiling) or a pull out sofa. If you have the pullmans, you can put the main bed together for a king size, and then have the 2 bunks overhead. I wouldn't worry about being cramped. If you're doing cruising right, you're only in there to sleep and change.

4 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Before I see the remarks....yes, were doing exactly what everyone says NOT to do, and we booked one interior room for my family of 4. Im curious what the room configuration will be? Im guessing my wife and I will be separated under each "bunk" bed for our boys? Anyone have experience with this?  

Normally, you should have the choice of using the separate beds or having them pushed together.  Your Stateroom Attendant can take care of that.  There is a bit of fiddling with the ladder to climb up to the top bunk.  We had a similar situation a few years ago and managed somehow to make it work. You may need the boys to climb up the ladder and then adjust your bed.

1 minute ago, ChessE4 said:

Normally, you should have the choice of using the separate beds or having them pushed together.  

Thank you! This is exactly what I was curious about.  Dont necessarily want my wife and I's bed seperate, but understand if it must be due to space and what not. Im even fine with having to leave a ladder off of one of them, as Im fine lifting my toddler up there anyway. Will they allow that? 

I looked at getting larger rooms, balconys and such, but it was nearly double the price.  No thanks! Wed rather spend freely on excursions and what not, than spend our budget on the room. 

Just now, SteveinSC said:

Thank you! This is exactly what I was curious about.  Dont necessarily want my wife and I's bed seperate, but understand if it must be due to space and what not. Im even fine with having to leave a ladder off of one of them, as Im fine lifting my toddler up there anyway. Will they allow that? 

I looked at getting larger rooms, balconys and such, but it was nearly double the price.  No thanks! Wed rather spend freely on excursions and what not, than spend our budget on the room. 

The beds should have a railing as I recall, which might come in handy for your toddler.  I think you will be fine, but it will be a learning experience.  During the day the beds are put back in the ceiling and the room isn't so congested.

Just now, Momof4crazytocruise said:

oh no! Kids under 5 are not allowed in the bunks as a general rule. Up to you if you want bypass that, but our room steward was adamant that my 3 year-old son not sleep in the top bunk. Hopefully it's a pull out bed!

interesting. I havent seen this anywhere. I might need to give them a call. 

17 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

yes, were doing exactly what everyone says NOT to do, and we booked one interior room for my family of 4.

Just to be clear, I think you will be okay in that room.  It's just that ideally, many of us prefer to split up to get 2 rooms instead. 

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just to be clear, I think you will be okay in that room.  It's just that ideally, many of us prefer to split up to get 2 rooms instead. 

I think we will be.....fine. We are cruising with my parents, in a Grand Suite, and my brother and his wife, in a junior suite.  In other words, weve got options if its entirely too cramped. I just dont want to rely on anyone and was curious how they will lay out the room. @Matt are you aware of the previously mentioned rule about no children under 5 in the pullman beds? My 3 year old (will be 4 at time of sailing) sleeps on an elevated bed (one of those with open play area underneath) with a rail right now with zero issues. I get from a liability standpoint why they would be concerned....but....meh. 

17 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

We did an interior stateroom earlier this year on Mariner with two young kids and we had the pullman beds. When we entered the room, our beds were together making a queen bed. After the first night, we decided the room was too cramped so we asked for our bed to be split up under the pullman beds. We feel this gave us much more space in the room. Talk to your stateroom attendant to see which option is best for you and your family.

Also, my youngest was 5 at the time and the stateroom attendant was able to provide a wooden railing that was much taller then the built-in railing. He said he grabbed the last one so I'm not sure how many (if any) will be available on your sailing. If you are interested, be sure to ask the first change you see your stateroom attendant.

On our previous cruse, we had our 3 year old in a top bunk and she was just fine. She loved it up there actually. This left 1 bottom bed opened and unused aside from a place to place cloths.

We had connected state rooms for that one. 

This upcoming cruise, I was able to upgrade for a slight amount and have a really great room (Empress 8664) But with that said, we initially booked an inside room and planned on just having the beds together and then switching if that was an issue with space.

4 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

are you aware of the previously mentioned rule about no children under 5 in the pullman beds? My 3 year old (will be 4 at time of sailing) sleeps on an elevated bed (one of those with open play area underneath) with a rail right now with zero issues. I get from a liability standpoint why they would be concerned....but....meh. 

I'm not familiar of a rule that prohibits it. I could see why it might not be ideal, but wasnt aware of a specific rule.