Revamp pizza went downhill

xps15z

Not sure what everyone else thinks but I have no idea how the new pizza recipe are getting good reviews compared to the last one. I am a big pizza lover, and although cruise ships pizzas are nothing to talk about...at least the last recipe before it was changed you could actually eat. This new recipe is like cardboard now. For me to turn down pizza there has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong. It was difficult to finish a slice and trust me there's not one food that comes close to pizza for me.

So I thought maybe it's all in my head since I knew they changed the recipe. Nope, my friend just came back from his first cruise 2 weeks ago and it said it was the worst pizza he's had. It's below Stevie B's and CiCi's pziza to me. This guy is not a picky eater either and will eat up some free food (especially late at night after drinking) and he avoided the pizza.

Lets hope in a year or two we get another revamp recipe. Something just doesn't taste right with the toppings and crust this time around.

I was on Symphony of Seas. Friend was on Allure of Seas.

I'm not a picky person. I understand the quality of food for cruises vs. nationwide chain (applebees, red lobster, etc) vs. mom/pop vs. fine dining in major city. I don't mistreat cruise food for fine dining, or compare local restaurant to nationwide chain. You have to know what to expect on each level. My taste buds generally line up with other people, friends and strangers when discussing dishes.

It was the best pizza to begin with but it was something you can enjoy real quick. It was a step above Cici/Stevie Bs initially, then the remake brought it below their level. And when your mentioning Cici/Stevie B's as your competition your already at the bottom of the totem pole lol.

Have you experience it at all yet?

Last time I tried Sorrento's pizza was the first and only time I've tried it, last year when I sailed on Freedom pre-revised recipe. I'm on Anthem in 16 days, will have to try a slice. You know, in the name of research...

I'm a fellow pizza snob (I'm from NJ, after all), and at least pre-update the pizza on Freedom was not horrible but not good by any stretch.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Last time I tried Sorrento's pizza was the first and only time I've tried it, last year when I sailed on Freedom pre-revised recipe. I'm on Anthem in 16 days, will have to try a slice. You know, in the name of research...

I'm a fellow pizza snob (I'm from NJ, after all), and at least pre-update the pizza on Freedom was not horrible but not good by any stretch.

Definitely don't forget to post your thoughts in this thread! I'll eat any pizza, I'm just too addicted to it. I think the taste was just a downgrade from before so mentally I shut off and prevented myself from eating there. I tried to force myself one late night to give it a second chance and regretted it. With the old recipe I could grab a slice every night and never complain.

Jersey has some decent pizza. The best I've ever had is in Wisconsin (racine to be specific). I've had amazing pizza also in St Louis. Wasn't too thrilled about NY pizza, I think NJ has them beat. Now mind you my favorite is just your basic pep and cheese.

24 minutes ago, ellcee said:

+1

haha, to be fair I didn't actually dine at any respectable NY pizza spot. Just wanted to take a dig at NY since my wife is from Jersey. I had one of those cheap slices off the tourist area. But to be fair when most people talk about having a NY pizza who are not from the area they are generally talking about from the times square area or at least the dozen+ people I've spoken to were.

20 minutes ago, xps15z said:

haha, to be fair I didn't actually dine at any respectable NY pizza spot. Just wanted to take a dig at NY since my wife is from Jersey. I had one of those cheap slices off the tourist area. But to be fair when most people talk about having a NY pizza who are not from the area they are generally talking about from the times square area or at least the dozen+ people I've spoken to were.

Work in Midtown. You usually can't just go anywhere in the super touristy areas. We have a bunch of places we order from. Amazing and tastes like the pizza I get 50 miles away in Long Island.

Interesting..just read a cruise site that ranked pizza by cruise lines and Sorrento's at Royal's was 3rd......

I had it on Marnier last Oct and thought it was pretty good....does the trick at 2am anyways..lol

Looking forward to trying it again on Harmony..perhaps I will sample it during daylight hours to see if there is a difference......:4_joy:

• 2 weeks later...

Pizza is so subjective. What some love others absolutely hate.  I can't fathom how Papa John's makes a dime because I find it inedible, yet there it is, still in business, and some of my coworkers (note: not friends - I don't need that kind of negativity in my life) love it.

• 1 month later...

When we went on Allure I was really excited to try Sorrento's, love pizza it's my favorite food, snack, breakfast, lunch, dinner, did I mention I LOVE pizza? Well I was completely let down by Sorrento, there's no taste, cardboard has some kind of taste but the pepperoni pizza has none. Then tried room service and same thing I was so sad. Best pizza for me is a place called Brooklyn Brothers it's NY style and you can't get pineapple on your pie! Lol! 

Think the crust is the problem because the sauce was okay the pepperoni had flavor cut too thin for me.

Now I want a pizza! Where to find a pizza joint open at 6 AM?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 9:01 AM, 12thman said:

When we went on Allure I was really excited to try Sorrento's, love pizza it's my favorite food, snack, breakfast, lunch, dinner, did I mention I LOVE pizza? Well I was completely let down by Sorrento, there's no taste, cardboard has some kind of taste but the pepperoni pizza has none. Then tried room service and same thing I was so sad. Best pizza for me is a place called Brooklyn Brothers it's NY style and you can't get pineapple on your pie! Lol! 

Think the crust is the problem because the sauce was okay the pepperoni had flavor cut too thin for me.

Now I want a pizza! Where to find a pizza joint open at 6 AM?

6 AM?? You are hard core!!!]

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Sorrento's tastes pretty darn good.  

Seriously!? There's no taste. Guess that's why there's so many pizza joints.

4 hours ago, Zeashore said:

6 AM?? You are hard core!!!]

YUP! Used to eat it everyday when I was a delivery driver. Who remembers "30 minutes or it's free"? 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, monctonguy said:

Interesting..just read a cruise site that ranked pizza by cruise lines and Sorrento's at Royal's was 3rd......

I had it on Marnier last Oct and thought it was pretty good....does the trick at 2am anyways..lol

Looking forward to trying it again on Harmony..perhaps I will sample it during daylight hours to see if there is a difference......:4_joy:

Update..it was good on HOS....they had some good options...and gluten free for those that needed it....ate it at least 5x during our cruise.....its better than it was before for sure. Is it the best out there.....well no. But I wouldn't complain about it based on what I have had on Marnier and now HOS.