Thanksgiving Week Cruise Questions

I’m in the process of booking the Oasis OTS cruise today for when it returns to service on 11/24.  Is there anything special on RC ships for Thanksgiving Day or throughout the week?

It will be just myself and my 8yo son because my spouse can’t take that week off.  We’re doing a junior suite this time because the next step to grand suite is almost double the cost.  

Would it be best to do the UDP if we don’t want to eat in the MDR?  I’m guessing on a holiday week, there probably won’t be many dinner reservations available in the Coastal Kitchen for JS guests?  We’re also going to get the Key if it’s still available once we can get into the cruise planner later today to make up for the other stuff we won’t get in a JS.

I will be on the following week !  Can't wait to see the new amped Oasis.

If you truly do not want to eat in the MDR (or any of the other complimentary meal options) then I do recommend that you look into the UDP.  As you noted, in a JS you may or may not be able to eat  in CK.  You would not know until you get on board and you might not even know from day-to-day, depending on how booked they are.

I have found that the UDP is worth the money on the O class ships b/c there are so many different options for dining.  It the price isn't outrageous, I would say it's a good option.  If you do decide to purchase the UDP, do NOT include your 8-year-old.  There is no need to pay full price for him.  They will either charge a reduced children's price for him or sometimes they don't even charge you at all.  I certainly wouldn't depend on getting his meals for free but it might happen that way.  Even if they do charge him it will not be full price.

Regarding the Key....the only perk that you would be duplicating with the Key would be lunch on embarkation day.  If you get the UDP that would already be covered by the rest of the perks would be of benefit if you are interested in them.

I will be on that sailing as well. 

To echo what has already been said, I think the Oasis class ships have a lot to offer when getting the UDP.  Your son should only be charged $10 at the most in most cases for the cover charge restaurants and the UDP will come with a $35 ala carte limit which will cover you in Playmakers and Izumi Sushi.  Seems silly to pay the $175/$199 for him for the package.  Just make sure to make reservations when you get onboard if you do get the package if you prefer certain times/dates.

They should have a Thanksgiving offering in the MDR and in Coastal Kitchen if you are looking for that traditional taste on Thursday.

FYI, we were on the Symphony on last years group cruise the week of Thanksgiving and found out that RC does not offer any dining plans on holiday sailings.  If you have one on your cruise planner snag it now before it disappears forever.  We were fortunate enough to purchase one right when we got on-board.  The person that sold it to us was not aware that they were not supposed to sell any dining plans.  Also those that booked them in advance on the cruise planner had their plans honored.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

FYI, we were on the Symphony on last years group cruise the week of Thanksgiving and found out that RC does not offer any dining plans on holiday sailings.  If you have one on your cruise planner snag it now before it disappears forever.  We were fortunate enough to purchase one right when we got on-board.  The person that sold it to us was not aware that they were not supposed to sell any dining plans.  Also those that booked them in advance on the cruise planner had their plans 

"Dining plans" meaning UDP, discounted single dinner package like Izumi restaurant (not hibachi)? Why don't they offer dining plans?

1 minute ago, 12thman said:

"Dining plans" meaning UDP, discounted single dinner package like Izumi restaurant (not hibachi)? Why don't they offer dining plans?

Why?  Who knows, the only thing we heard was RC does not offer dining plans on holiday sailings.  No UDP, no 3, 4 or 5 day plans were in the planner.  Like I said, we managed to purchase a 3 day plan on board but others were not successful.

I believe that is no longer the case. We have a UDP for our upcoming Brilliance cruise over Thanksgiving. There was no trouble at all purchasing it. We also had the UDP last Christmas on the Christmas + NY cruise on Grandeur. Our only restriction was on Christmas Eve where we could not choose Chops but both Giovanni’s and Izumi were available to us on Christmas Eve.

I guess we’ll find out in a few weeks if there are any restrictions on Brilliance for Thanksgiving 

And we have the 3-night package on Adventure over Thanksgiving. UDP and Chops +1 are also available, as was BOGO until its demise. But I vaguely remember someone posting somewhere that there were none on can't-remember-which Oasis class ship over either Christmas or New Year, so maybe restrictions apply only to certain ships?

I now have the UDP booked for the 11/24 Oasis cruise  ....... I have a couple questions though, I’ve never had the UDP when I wasn’t in a full suite before and had to make my own reservations on board.

1) Suite concierge can’t make all the UDP reservations pre-cruise for JS guests like they do for GS suite and above guests, correct?

2) Once on board, where do you go to make UDP reservations?  Do you have to go to each restaurant individually to setup the date and time?  Or is there a central place that you make all your UDP reservations for the week?

Thanks in advance. ?

1) JS guests don't have access to the suite concierge.  Junior Suites are best thought of as "extra large balcony rooms that give double points".

2) Each restaurant can make reservations for all restaurants so just pick one without a line!  Also there's usually a setup somewhere (promenade or main dining room) where people can make reservations for a few hours on embarkation day.

23 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I believe that is no longer the case. We have a UDP for our upcoming Brilliance cruise over Thanksgiving. There was no trouble at all purchasing it. We also had the UDP last Christmas on the Christmas + NY cruise on Grandeur. Our only restriction was on Christmas Eve where we could not choose Chops but both Giovanni’s and Izumi were available to us on Christmas Eve.

I guess we’ll find out in a few weeks if there are any restrictions on Brilliance for Thanksgiving 

I have a dining plan for Anthem for a thanksgiving cruise this year. so things must have changed or its ship based rules. You had also asked about anything special going on during that week. In my experience that would be no. This will be our 6th year in a row on Royal at Thanksgiving and they barely even mention the holiday. You will notice them starting to put up Christmas decorations on the day you are leaving the ship though. :)