The Key refundable?

gwbaker

Going on Oasis of the Seas Feb 9, 2020.  Just about convinced to purchase The Key, but other couple going with us has not fully paid Costco Travel and cannot make purchase through Royal until the reservation is fully paid and forwarded from Costco to Royal.  I think they are interested in The Key, but for various reasons we do not want to buy it if they do not.  With the price fluctuations I would like to buy now at $24.99 to avoid the 30 plus prices I have seen.  But, when they pay off, they may decide not to buy it.  If I purchase now, can I decline, get a refund, and not pay any penalty?

Thanks,

p.s. veteran cruiser, but new to royal

Bill

12 hours ago, gwbaker said:

Just about convinced to purchase The Key, but other couple going with us has not fully paid Costco Travel and cannot make purchase through Royal until the reservation is fully paid and forwarded from Costco to Royal. 

They put a deposit down, correct? Once you have a deposit down with RC, anyone can book the key (or any other Cruise Planner purchase) before making final payment. So not sure why they said that.

If they provide you with their RCCL reservation number (not the Costco booking number - they will need to ask Costco for it), in your own Cruise Planner, you can add them to your basket and score that price for all of you. You would be paying for all four, and then get your friends to pay you back.

You still would have the ability to cancel it later, esp. if the price drops and/or your friends can pick it up on their own CP eventually.

Edit to add: thinking out loud, I suspect that the problem is that Costco has not yet given your friends their actual RCCL reservation number - your friends really should push to get it from Costco now, allowing them to get into their Cruise Planner.

15 hours ago, gwbaker said:

Going on Oasis of the Seas Feb 9, 2020.  Just about convinced to purchase The Key, but other couple going with us has not fully paid Costco Travel and cannot make purchase through Royal until the reservation is fully paid and forwarded from Costco to Royal

I book with Costco all the time and I have gotten a similar error message before.  I think it's just a timing issue with the system when the booking is very new.  Ask your friends to wait until the booking is at least a day old, and then try the cruise planner again.  It should let them pre-book whatever they want and they DON'T have to pay the full cruise balance in advance.

My current booking for January 2020 is through Costco and I have had full access to Cruise Planner since we booked and have not made final payment yet.  They should be able to resove this quickly enough to purchase the Key before any price changes!