Cruise Ship speed limit

markm

Received and email from Royal Caribbean that our arrival time in La Havre (Paris) would be delayed by 2 hours due to speed restrictions. Ive read that France has proposed to the International Maritime Organization a plan to set a lower Cruise Ship speed limit to reduce greenhouse emissions . Does anyone know if the IMO has adopted it, or is it just the French

22 hours ago, markm said:

Received and email from Royal Caribbean that our arrival time in La Havre (Paris) would be delayed by 2 hours due to speed restrictions. Ive read that France has proposed to the International Maritime Organization a plan to set a lower Cruise Ship speed limit to reduce greenhouse emissions . Does anyone know if the IMO has adopted it, or is it just the French

Set a lower Cruise Ship speed limit to reduce greenhouse emissions, are you kidding me? The world gets more ridiculous every day.?

2 hours ago, Flacruiser99 said:

Set a lower Cruise Ship speed limit to reduce greenhouse emissions, are you kidding me? The world gets more ridiculous every day.?

I’m not sure why this is ridiculous. It would be ridiculous if they said we couldn’t cruise or limit ship construction due to greenhouse emissions, but if going a little slower helps the environment, why not? I’m not a ultra liberal environmental tree hugger, but happy to help if I can. 

1 hour ago, Oliver said:

I’m not sure why this is ridiculous. It would be ridiculous if they said we couldn’t cruise or limit ship construction due to greenhouse emissions, but if going a little slower helps the environment, why not? I’m not a ultra liberal environmental tree hugger, but happy to help if I can. 

When you show me proof that a cruse ship going slower if France is going to have any effect on the Environment I'll agree with you.

1 hour ago, Flacruiser99 said:

When you show me proof that a cruse ship going slower if France is going to have any effect on the Environment I'll agree with you.

1071437332_ScreenShot2019-10-03at5_56_18PM.png.c0c59c43db772df72648b6d9c0961f71.png

There's also other issues such as a ship's wake's effect on local sea life, shorelines, etc. that have nothing to do with fuel consumption that can have environmental effects close to shore.  There's no one magic equation that can result in an ocean-wide "most environmentally efficient" speed, but to say that a ship's speed (particularly a ship the size of a modern cruise ship or ULCC) has no environmental impact is wildly inaccurate. 

1 hour ago, USCG Teacher said:

1071437332_ScreenShot2019-10-03at5_56_18PM.png.c0c59c43db772df72648b6d9c0961f71.png

There's also other issues such as a ship's wake's effect on local sea life, shorelines, etc. that have nothing to do with fuel consumption that can have environmental effects close to shore.  There's no one magic equation that can result in an ocean-wide "most environmentally efficient" speed, but to say that a ship's speed (particularly a ship the size of a modern cruise ship or ULCC) has no environmental impact is wildly inaccurate. 

Boom goes the dynamite! ?

17 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

I think you missed my point.