Anthem RoyalUP Bid Successful

Dawn T.

My husband always bids on RoyalUP whenever he has the opportunity.  I always tell him it will never happen.  Well, we are sailing on Anthem next week, and he received an email yesterday that our bid was accepted.  We originally booked a 2C (ocean view with large balcony) long ago.  I wanted a junior suite, but it was more than double the balcony price.  I kept checking the JS price, but it was never reduced.  We ended up with a J1 (junior suite with large balcony) for $1,000 (total bid).  We think it is well worth the upgrade.  We get a bigger cabin, better bathroom, giant balcony, plus dinner access to Coastal Kitchen.  We are hoping to get dinner reservations for CK every night.  We sailed on Ovation in March in a grand suite.  We had 5:30 dinner reservations every night in CK, and the place was practically empty.  We’re hoping for this on Anthem.  For those wondering about bid timing, he placed the bid on 7/29/19.  Upgrade email arrived yesterday 10/1.  Sail date is next week.

?

25 minutes ago, Dawn T. said:

We are hoping to get dinner reservations for CK every night.  We sailed on Ovation in March in a grand suite.  We had 5:30 dinner reservations every night in CK, and the place was practically empty.  We’re hoping for this on Anthem. ...Sail date is next week.

My wife and I sailed in a JS last October around the same time you're sailing, and we had CK booked each night at 6:30; it was practically dead on all but the last night. Even that last night wasn't crazy busy, just more like what I'd expect from a normal dining venue at prime dinner hour. The ship sailed full, so I guess most of the JS / full suite guests were enjoying the specialty dining on board every night, or eating closer to the traditional dining times. 5:30 will probably be fine for you next week.

Have a great sailing, and congrats on the bid win!

2 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

My wife and I sailed in a JS last October around the same time you're sailing, and we had CK booked each night at 6:30; it was practically dead on all but the last night. Even that last night wasn't crazy busy, just more like what I'd expect from a normal dining venue at prime dinner hour. The ship sailed full, so I guess most of the JS / full suite guests were enjoying the specialty dining on board every night, or eating closer to the traditional dining times. 5:30 will probably be fine for you next week.

@JLMoran This is excellent news!  It sounds like we might get lucky with CK. 

19 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Just sailed Anthem to Bermuda on 9/21 (the shortened Bermuda sailing) and had a Grand Suite. We only dined in CK on 9/24 as a "date night." Reason being, we had friends on-board and made various plans to dine with them. While we enjoy CK, the company of a few friends was more important. :).

Today I got an offer to bid on a Royal up for our December 1 Oasis cruise.  There is only 1 suite higher than what we have - the Royal Suite and it's been sold for months.  I don't expect to get it but I did put a minimum bid on it.

Interesting that I never got a Royal Up offer on the first half of my S2S - the Nov. 25 Brilliance Thanksgiving cruise.  That's the only cruise that I have booked that I did not at least get an offer to bid.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Interesting that I never got a Royal Up offer on the first half of my S2S - the Nov. 25 Brilliance Thanksgiving cruise.  That's the only cruise that I have booked that I did not at least get an offer to bid.

Not surprising to me, Waaay...we've done the Tgiving cruise for the last 4 or 5 years and it is always full. Signs in the port and on board "No upgrades available." We always book at least 18 mos. out to make sure we can get what we want!

Just now, eaglesfaninfl said:

Not surprising to me, Waaay...we've done the Tgiving cruise for the last 4 or 5 years and it is always full. Signs in the port and on board "No upgrades available." We always book at least 18 mos. out to make sure we can get what we want!

But what's so different about this cruise is it is NOT sold out. Not one single category is sold out.  I think the reason is b/c this is a Mon-Fri cruise, which is less popular than a cruise that encompasses as weekend or at least part of a weekend.  Besides, I don't think cabin availability has a darned thing to do with Royal Up.  There really isn't much that I would be able to bid  on anyway as I'm already in a GS.  Only the OS and RS above what I already have...it's just odd that I did not get an invitation to bid.  Not at all concerned about it...just surprised.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

But what's so different about this cruise is it is NOT sold out. Not one single category is sold out.

I stand corrected and agree that the Mon.-Sat. scheduling is the probable cause. If my memory is correct (and it seldom is anymore!), our previous cruises actually left on Thanksgiving and covered the weekend.

17 minutes ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

Oddly enough the Thanksgiving sailing for Oasis this year isn't sold out..and prices are cheap!  Very convenient to get a 7-day cruise for only 3 days taken off from work compared to the typical 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you SO much for sharing! This is the first cruise we are going on with the Royal Up program, so I have some trepidation about it. I don’t know what minimum bids are vs. what is normally accepted (like... if I bid minimum, is there any chance?). I’m always curious about what that experience is like for other cruisers. 

@sonnyJust realize that whatever dollar amount you do decide to bid you have to multiply that dollar amount by every person in your cabin.

The bidding scale you see next to the room you want to upgrade to slides up to whatever maximum amount RC will accept.

Slide the scale all the way till the end & then see how much that max bid would be, then you decide if it is worth it to whatever you feel would be appropriate for that cabin verses whatever you want to pay.

I just experienced winning an upgrade and I travel solo, so that 440 bid cost me 880 all by myself.

I even won the bid 12 days before my sailing to make it really nice, but "ouch" on that price.  I was misinformed by the RC rep when I first asked them about this Royal up bidding.

We all live  & learn.  I wish you a safe & healthy cruise & of course a "winning bid!" ?

14 minutes ago, ANGELA ROMAN said:

@sonnyJust realize that whatever dollar amount you do decide to bid you have to multiply that dollar amount by every person in your cabin.

Not true..you only have to double the bid.  Makes it much more worthwhile when you've got 4 in your cabin to begin with, but not so great when you are solo.

One thing to remember is that the RoyalUp is tied to a single room.  For example if you split your family between 2 balcony cabins and then got a RoyalUp offer that included a 2-bedroom suite, you won't be able to combine the two rooms together into that single room.  You would still have to pay for both rooms.  You could get extra room keys so everyone could have access to one room, but only the ones on the original booking in the cabin that was upgraded will have access to the suite amenities.

I've only taken a shot at a RoyalUp once..upgraded from an inside GTY to an OV balcony on Freedom of the Seas Blog Group Cruise  Total price with the RoyalUp was cheaper than I would have been able to get a balcony straight up for my sailing, so I am extremely pleased with it.  

Nice upgrade!  On my honeymoon (last month 9 night Jewel) I booked an Ocean View on deck 3, for $2,800.  The going rates for an ocean balcony was $5,500+ a little to much for just a standard balcony if you ask me.  I placed a bid of $300pp ($600 total) and about a month out we were upgraded! I was so excited, because a balcony in Europe was amazing.  

2 hours ago, S0nny said:

Thank you SO much for sharing! This is the first cruise we are going on with the Royal Up program, so I have some trepidation about it. I don’t know what minimum bids are vs. what is normally accepted (like... if I bid minimum, is there any chance?). I’m always curious about what that experience is like for other cruisers. 

Hi @sonny!  Just to add to my original post....  The $1,000 total bid was the max bid for a JS.  Originally, my husband bid lower, probably in the middle.  Later, he went in and maxed out all the bids (for JS, GS, and OS).  He really wanted an upgrade.  Best $1,000 we ever spent!  We managed to get 5:30 reservations in Coastal Kitchen each night without a problem.   

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

I got a RoyalUp email last week for tomorrow's Anthem cruise.  I clicked on the link and looked at the choices, but there were no suite choices.  Does this make sense or did I just do something wrong and not see those options somehow.

What room are you in?  I don't think they offer suites unless you are already in a balcony at least.

Being that we are already in a JS for our cruise next Oct on Rhapsody, when it comes time to get an Royal Up offer, I would expect to get one for a GS and OS, as those are the only two suite levels above us, besides the RS, which according to RC, is already booked. My question is, I'm assuming that they will take the highest bid for each cabin that is open, regardless of which cabin you are currently in. If we have the highest bid for a OS, for instance, we would get it over a lower bid from somebody in a GS.

Is that correct, or do they take into account the higher price of the GS to start with and look at total potential "profit'?

Just now, FManke said:

Being that we are already in a JS for our cruise next Oct on Rhapsody, when it comes time to get an Royal Up offer, I would expect to get one for a GS and OS, as those are the only two suite levels above us, besides the RS, which according to RC, is already booked. My question is, I'm assuming that they will take the highest bid for each cabin that is open, regardless of which cabin you are currently in. If we have the highest bid for a OS, for instance, we would get it over a lower bid from somebody in a GS.

Is that correct, or do they take into account the higher price of the GS to start with and look at total potential "profit'?

They use a proprietary algorithm that will net them the most money.

So the answer is we don't really know.  

You also have to consider the bids they have in the pipeline for the rooms that will be freed up by any accepted bids..all the way down to that lowly inside room.  It's a snowball effect down the chain.

Say you're in a JS and you bid 10 for that OS.

Someone in a GS bids 5 for that OS, but there's someone in a JS that bid 10 for the GS..that would net 15 if they accepted the bid.  

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

They use a proprietary algorithm that will net them the most money.

So the answer is we don't really know.  

You also have to consider the bids they have in the pipeline for the rooms that will be freed up by any accepted bids..all the way down to that lowly inside room.  It's a snowball effect down the chain.

Say you're in a JS and you bid 10 for that OS.

Someone in a GS bids 5 for that OS, but there's someone in a JS that bid 10 for the GS..that would net 15 if they accepted the bid.  

So, put in a bid that you feel comfortable with and don't look back! If it hits, it hits. If it doesn't, enjoy what you have.

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

So, put in a bid that you feel comfortable with and don't look back! If it hits, it hits. If it doesn't, enjoy what you have.

Exactly..bid on what you would feel the most comfortable paying for that room if you do want an upgrade.

They may also offer up the RS to you for bids.  Never know when they have a cancellation come up. 

It's also a useful tool to do some data mining -- get an idea of what folks would be willing to pay for rooms and such.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Agreed I am in a JS on MJ and I have offers to bid on GS, OS and RS

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

What room are you in?  I don't think they offer suites unless you are already in a balcony at least.

Thanks Ashley, that's kind of what I was wondering.  We are in an inside room and our offers went up to balcony.  Makes sense...

My cruise is under the 20 day mark. Departing November 9th on Anthem.

I have not received any emails and have been trying the upgrade check part of royals site numerous times a week over last 60 days, to no avail.

We have 4 rooms booked all different reservation numbers. 3 balcony rooms and 1 suite. 

I would assume at this point there is no chance of a royal up offer.

Just find it odd that none of the rooms were able to view/bid on any offer.

9 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Are you booked through a travel agency?  And have you tried using the other passengers' last names and the reservation numbers on the RoyalUp page?

YES I BOOKED THROUGH CRUISES.COM - AS AT TIME OF BOOKING THEY WERE OFFERING MUCH MORE IN TERMS OF ROOM CREDITS 

YES - MOST HAVE SAME LAST NAME, BUT HAVE ALSO TRIED OTHERS AS WELL - AND I HAVE TRIED ALL FOUR OF THE RESERVATION NUMBERS

Just now, JohnC71 said:

YES I BOOKED THROUGH CRUISES.COM - AS AT TIME OF BOOKING THEY WERE OFFERING MUCH MORE IN TERMS OF ROOM CREDITS 

YES - MOST HAVE SAME LAST NAME, BUT HAVE ALSO TRIED OTHERS AS WELL - AND I HAVE TRIED ALL FOUR OF THE RESERVATION NUMBERS

I was asking the Travel Agency question because  TAs can opt-out of allowing the RoyalUp.  I believe Costco Travel has opted out of it, but I'm not sure about the other big agencies.  

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

I was asking the Travel Agency question because  TAs can opt-out of allowing the RoyalUp.  I believe Costco Travel has opted out of it, but I'm not sure about the other big agencies.  

Thanks for your response.  I'm going to try calling Royal later - Although, at this point, we may have waited too long.