Cell Phone Coverage and packages

Hi !

we are a group of 4 Canadians heading out on a cruise from Ft lauderdale in Dec 2019 heading for Nassau, a perfect day at CocoCay, Cozumel and Costa Maya.  The last cruise I was on, we didn't rely quite so much on cell phones.  I am thinking at least one of us will need a texting/data plan in order to make this trip successful. 

Does anyone have any advice they would like to share regarding providers, packages, tips/tricks?

Thank you in advance,

Shelley

55 minutes ago, PEI Shelley said:

Hi !

we are a group of 4 Canadians heading out on a cruise from Ft lauderdale in Dec 2019 heading for Nassau, a perfect day at CocoCay, Cozumel and Costa Maya.  The last cruise I was on, we didn't rely quite so much on cell phones.  I am thinking at least one of us will need a texting/data plan in order to make this trip successful. 

Does anyone have any advice they would like to share regarding providers, packages, tips/tricks?

Thank you in advance,

Shelley

I would start off by checking with your cellular providers to see if they have coverage in those areas. I know as a Verizon customer, I get free coverage in both Mexico and Canada.

Some cellular providers offer an international package where you can add it on for the month or sometimes even pay per day for service, so that would be the first place to start as @FManke stated.  You'll want to check to make sure you have coverage for the Bahamas, United States, and Mexico.

Just remember that the cellular service will not work when you are at sea, so you'll want to keep your phone in airplane mode to prevent outrageous charges for connecting to the cellular at sea.

Royal also offers a WiFi package called VOOM that will give you internet access while on the ship and at CocoCay.

We're Canadians. We use Rogers "Roam Like Home" when we travel U.S. According to the website it should also cover Caribbean and Mexico.

The price may be changed already, but it should be anywhere between CAD $5 - $12 a day. Bell has something similar, but it gives you separate data and minute, as oppose of Rogers you use your own data and minute just like you're in Canada.

Unfortunately I can only tell you the info, I can't tell you whether it actually works or not. We never went on any cruise before. Our very first will be in early November ? Still in the process of deciding how to tackle this.

But even if this roaming thing works, it's only when you're at a port. No cellular connection at sea no matter how.

Family had a bad experience with Rogers and roaming in the US.  They paid for the ability to roam but still had exorbitant usage fees.  When they inquired Rogers basically said "it's because you used data".  So the roaming package allowed them to roam and gave them the impression some data was included but it wasn't, they had to pay for actual usage as well as the privilege to roam.  

Bottom line check with your cell phone provider and ask a lot of questions.  Get it in writing.  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Family had a bad experience with Rogers and roaming in the US.  They paid for the ability to roam but still had exorbitant usage fees.  When they inquired Rogers basically said "it's because you used data".  So the roaming package allowed them to roam and gave them the impression some data was included but it wasn't, they had to pay for actual usage as well as the privilege to roam.  

Bottom line check with your cell phone provider and ask a lot of questions.  Get it in writing.  

Sorry to hear that. Are you using "Roam Like Home" ($7/day to use data and minute from your own wireless plan), or pre/post paid roaming that charged by min/mb?

I guess we're the lucky ones then. We had many trips to U.S. using Rogers "Roam Like Home". Fortunately all fee were charged correctly.

9 hours ago, zillono said:

Sorry to hear that. Are you using "Roam Like Home" ($7/day to use data and minute from your own wireless plan), or pre/post paid roaming that charged by min/mb?

I guess we're the lucky ones then. We had many trips to U.S. using Rogers "Roam Like Home". Fortunately all fee were charged correctly.

This was last winter and contributed to their decision to switch to Bell.  They fought Rogers as best they could, escalating it as high as they could but Rogers refused to do anything.  

21 hours ago, PEI Shelley said:

Hi !

Thank you in advance,

Shelley

Concur with @FManke   We were in Mexico on the Harmony last month and my wife had coverage from Sprint, sometimes in international waters and sometimes on land.  Determine if you can get by with just text or you actually need voice.  Many carriers now offer special phone plans for crises.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

This was last winter and contributed to their decision to switch to Bell.  They fought Rogers as best they could, escalating it as high as they could but Rogers refused to do anything.  

Sounds pretty typical of Rogers ?

Check with your provider and see if WIFI calling is something available to you...

Verizon, AT&T, and others (in the US) have the option of WIFI calling.  I just test our family's.  When phone is placed in airplane mode, turn WIFI back on.  Then your phone will act just like it is connected to the cell network.  Text, calls, internet all work.

This MAY not be available with your carrier.  But if it is, the phone must be set up to allow it to work.  Mine was already set up, but I had to help the rest of the family figure out how to turn theirs on.  Different for each phone manufacturer and version of android (should work with crapple too  ?).