Coffee in your cabin

Rachael

You can have room service deliver a carafe of coffee with cups, etc. any time for free. We fill out the door card and set it out in the evening for coffee service for 2 to be delivered at a certain time. You can also just call room service and ask for it , but sometimes it might take a few minutes depending on how busy they are.

2 hours ago, L454S said:

You can have room service deliver a carafe of coffee with cups, etc. any time for free. We fill out the door card and set it out in the evening for coffee service for 2 to be delivered at a certain time. You can also just call room service and ask for it , but sometimes it might take a few minutes depending on how busy they are.

Wow this is awesome since I usually get up relatively early. Do you know what the earliest time that room service will drop off coffee?

A little back story about room service. The assistant waiters with the lowest seniority get the duty of delivering the room service goodies. You'll see a different person everyday. I'm sure it's a bunch of running around the ship to places they were just at seemingly just minutes ago.

The delivery of your order is awkward. The full trays are a tight squeeze inside your cabin doorframe. It's an uneasy transition from when you answer the door and the waiter tries to enter fighting off the 10,000 lbs of force door closer with your tray of food. And, there isn't always a clear landing place for the tray once he/she gets inside. Above all else you are probably in your PJs trying to quickly cover yourself up with that inadequate free Royal robe. Yeah, it's a real awkward place and time. And yeah, that assistant waiter has drawn the short straw.

Now that you now this, that person who delivers your order? Deserves a couple bucks!!! Two or three dollar bills and a polite thank you go along way. My experience is they are surprised to receive it so it must not happen often. But now you reading this know better;  you are an advanced cruiser. Be that guy, do the right thing! When you place the order, whether its on the stateroom television or using a door hanger; lay a couple spare dollars out so they are ready to go. "Oh yeah, I gotta tip this dude" rummaging around to find a couple crumpled dollar bills after the tray of food has landed only adds to the strangeness.

Now, turn those bright lights back off because you look ridiculous with squinty eyes and messy hair. And for God sakes tighten that robe back up because Sponge Bob Squarepants is peeking out.

Edited by bobroo
English is my first language, but man, there are times even I think it's not

5 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

So, they dont charge the service charge for room service? Is that correct?

Room service is complimentary at breakfast for a limited continental breakfast menu.  They definitely don't charge the service fee then.

I'm not sure about just ordering coffee outside of those hours.  I would assume they would charge even if it's just coffee, but I've never attempted it.  I'm not likely to want/need coffee delivered to the room outside of the early AM hours, so haven't had a need to test it.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Room service is complimentary at breakfast for a limited continental breakfast menu.

I have never been aware of this!!!!!  Complete game changer, for me, as I wake up and need my coffee injected into my veins IMMEDIATELY, followed by some sort of breakfast. Waiting on my wife and kids to get up to go get coffee/breakfast has always been like dying a slow death, for me.....and this will solve that. GAME. CHANGER. Thank you!  Im not dramatic about it, at all..... 

Just now, SteveinSC said:

I have never been aware of this!!!!!  Complete game changer, for me, as I wake up and need my coffee injected into my veins IMMEDIATELY, followed by some sort of breakfast. Waiting on my wife and kids to get up to go get coffee/breakfast has always been like dying a slow death, for me.....and this will solve that. GAME. CHANGER. Thank you!  Im not dramatic about it, at all..... 

I've found if you pour coffee straight into your eyes it'll work faster.  ;0)

3 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

They will have door hangers in the room.  Fill it out and put it on the outside of your door by 3am.  You get to select a 30-minute delivery window.  They do call the room to let you know it's about to be delivered, though.  So keep that in mind if you have any concerns about waking the others in your room.  I call the delivery my coffee alarm ? 

It's a pretty decent selection of stuff for breakfast.  You can get pastries, bagels, toast, fruit, oatmeal, cereal, milk, juices.  You just need to make sure you put how many of each item you want when you order and don't forget to include the condiments you may need.  

They do have eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. but that cooked stuff will incur the $7.95 + 18% gratuity if you order it.  They clearly delineate it on the menu in its own section.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

They will have door hangers in the room. 

I HAVE seen these, and always completely disregarded them as something that costs money....never paid attention. I have nobody to blame but me....

As for it waking them up, im good with that.....as a typical Dad, I love nothing more than rubbing it in their faces that Im awake, on vacation, before anyone else. 

2 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Oh yeah, the room service coffee, fresh fruit, sweet roll thing is just the pre-game meal. You'll be throwing down a little later after you take a shower, do some housekeeping and got the kinks out of your legs and feet.

Gotta get primed.....cant go into the Windjammer with anything but my A game. Itd be like Lebron playing without stretching and a shoot around before the game. Recipe for disaster....

We also do the continental for another reason.  We are at the Solarium by 7 or so...and no not to be a chair hog, but to actually use them.  @ 8:30 or so when the WJ crowd has thinned out, we go there and make a plate to take back to our lounger and eat there.  The room service ties us over.

I do not like the coffee, and since we always get the DBP I stop at Starbucks and get my iced coffee with an extra shot of espresso to take back to my room.  Hubby is retired military so he has no problem with their coffee.  

I think Starbucks does open at 6, but I am not sure.  I know for a fact it is open by 6:30.  I will also say that the lines start to build up @ that time bc the WJ is opening, and passengers will hit Starbucks on their way to get in line for the WJ.  

2 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

@SteveinSC we like to do this quite often. Order a continental breakfast as "breakfast appetizers" before heading to the WJ later in the morning. I'm with you, I need coffee asap. And it's great to have a little something to munch on while you're getting ready for the day.

4 hours ago, Mljstr said:

As far as the room service coffee, a carafe has two cups of coffee. So order 2 carafes so you can sit on your balcony and drink as much as you want -FREE! 

Try to clear a spot on the counter or coffee table to set down the tray.

Agree with above. There are 2 sizes of carafes. A large carafe is what we order. Just write it on the order card...A LARGE CARAFE of coffee. Sometimes they send 2 small carafes. We like half and half with coffee, so we write "a small glass of Half & Half" on the card and it works well. Be specific.

If that does not work, get a small carton of milk from the WJ and stick it in the ice bucket overnight, or if the fridge is working put it in there. You can even get a small milk in the evening in the WJ, just ask.

15 hours ago, L454S said:

Agree with above. There are 2 sizes of carafes. A large carafe is what we order. Just write it on the order card...A LARGE CARAFE of coffee. Sometimes they send 2 small carafes. We like half and half with coffee, so we write "a small glass of Half & Half" on the card and it works well. Be specific.

If that does not work, get a small carton of milk from the WJ and stick it in the ice bucket overnight, or if the fridge is working put it in there. You can even get a small milk in the evening in the WJ, just ask.

You can order milk with the room service.  I always do just in case..but I also write CREAM on the order.  Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

We only ordered room service once (back in the day when all items were free).  I actually don't mind that only the continental is complimentary.  IMO, the breakfast items were not very good.  Bacon was under cooked, eggs weren't real eggs and had a strange texture...

1/ We plan to tip several dollars as well, but do the room service attendants receive any additional tips that we pay? (out of the $14.50/pp/day)

2/ I saw a room service order form and it lists a blueberry muffin.  Do you just write on it if you want a different flavor?  Same with tea bags?

3/  Can anyone comment on how hot the coffee is?  

Many thanks!

DSCF1186.JPG

10 minutes ago, raahc said:

1/ We plan to tip several dollars as well, but do the room service attendants receive any additional tips that we pay? (out of the $14.50/pp/day)

The daily gratuities is split between your dining staff crew and room steward crew for the most part.  From what I understand this includes both the front of house staff that you interact with as well as the behind the scenes folks that you don't directly interact with.  The room service attendants are likely part of that pool, so I would say they may get something in that way, but since there's no mandatory gratuitity with the complimentary breakfast room service there won't be an increased amount added to that pool. 

When crew members have publicly posted on social media outlets about their tips they seem to speak as though all the cash tips are put into a pool and split up as well.  Whether that happens 100% of the time we truly will never know.

3/  Can anyone comment on how hot the coffee is?  

I've never had it be scalding and I've never had it be lukewarm.  It's always been drinkable nearly immediately after pouring without a cool down.  Doesn't mean the extremes can't or won't happen.

eggs weren't real eggs

And this should no longer be the case.  Gallery tours have stressed that they use real eggs in all cases now and no more substitute!

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The daily gratuities is split between your dining staff crew and room steward crew for the most part.  From what I understand this includes both the front of house staff that you interact with as well as the behind the scenes folks that you don't directly interact with.  The room service attendants are likely part of that pool, so I would say they may get something in that way, but since there's no mandatory gratuitity with the complimentary breakfast room service there won't be an increased amount added to that pool. 

I've never had it be scalding and I've never had it be lukewarm.  It's always been drinkable nearly immediately after pouring without a cool down.  Doesn't mean the extremes can't or won't happen.

And this should no longer be the case.  Gallery tours have stressed that they use real eggs in all cases now and no more substitute!

Re: room service attendants - that's good to know!

Re: coffee - we like it HOT, will try it out and see, thanks!

Re: real eggs - that's a huge relief!

Thanks for all the info, very helpful ?

• 3 years later...

On Vision in November, the Lavazza machine was very awkward to use.  Its cord didn't stretch to the outlet, so I had to re-arrange my wife's cosmetics.  And then I discovered there was no "off" switch.  The Stateroom Attendant confirmed I had to unplug it to turn it off.  That is technically unsafe - one isn't supposed to unplug a "live" appliance.   While it was nice to have the coffee machine in the room, I ended up using Diamond Lounge most of the time.  I am hoping the larger ships have a better arrangement in their Junior Suites.