Ponce, Puerto Rico Opinions & Info

CruisePirate

Could anybody that's been to Ponce, Puerto Rico provide any info on this port? We will be going there in November and some members of our Facebook group is discussing about it being a port to best stay on ship because of safety/crime issues. Personally I don't buy it, just stay with your group, use common sense and don't put yourself in a bad position. Anybody been there recently?

7 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Ponce is safe during the day. At nite, it's a different story.

Actually is not worse than any other city of the world, it is not bad and is safe, only problem to me is that the port is not designed for cruise ships, it is a commercial pier, so to enjoy Ponce you will have to take either a taxi or a formal tour from your cruise.  Ponce is a beautiful town with a pretty square and a the oldest fire station  of PR in the middle of it, the Castillo Serralles, an old big house converted in a museum, belonged to the owners of the best rum of Puerto Rico, DonQ, from it you will have a perfect view of the town.  Here you can find more info on specifics about Ponce.  Hope it helps.

https://welcome.topuertorico.org/city/ponce.shtml    

8 hours ago, puertorican said:

Actually is not worse than any other city of the world, it is not bad and is safe, only problem to me is that the port is not designed for cruise ships, it is a commercial pier, so to enjoy Ponce you will have to take either a taxi or a formal tour from your cruise.  Ponce is a beautiful town with a pretty square and a the oldest fire station  of PR in the middle of it, the Castillo Serralles, an old big house converted in a museum, belonged to the owners of the best rum of Puerto Rico, DonQ, from it you will have a perfect view of the town.  Here you can find more info on specifics about Ponce.  Hope it helps.

https://welcome.topuertorico.org/city/ponce.shtml    

It is a beautiful town as I have family there. Safe during the day. At nite, it's a different story as most parts of the island are. 

The Parque de Bombas (Old Ponce Fire Station) is a historic firehouse and one of the most recognized buildings in Ponce, Puerto Rico, till today, built as the main exhibit pavilion for the 1882 Exhibition Trade Fair. Its name comes from the mobile hand-pumped fire fighting units the building once housed many moons ago. Also, makes a great selfie!!