What does unlimited dining actually get you on Enchantment of the Seas?

skyguy1983

I will be on Enchantment of the Seas sailing out Nov.  29, 2019.There will be 5 total in our party.  We have the unlimited dining package, but looking at the Main Dining Room, it seems there are way more choices on their menu.  I also see they have premium selections.  If we were to eat at the Main Dinning Room, will my unlimited dinning package allow us to select from the premium choices, or will we still have to pay the listed price, or a discounted price?  If discounted what would that charge be?  I am debating on if we need to keep the package.  I know in the MDR you are allowed to try multiple things on the menu, where Chops is basically one item per course.  I am currently in at $118 per person for a 5 night cruise which seems like a great price, but $118 spent in the MDR might go farther than at Chops.  Thoughts? Thanks for your help. 

25 minutes ago, skyguy1983 said:

I will be on Enchantment of the Seas sailing out Nov.  29, 2019.There will be 5 total in our party.  We have the unlimited dining package, but looking at the Main Dining Room, it seems there are way more choices on their menu.  I also see they have premium selections.  If we were to eat at the Main Dinning Room, will my unlimited dinning package allow us to select from the premium choices, or will we still have to pay the listed price, or a discounted price?  If discounted what would that charge be?  I am debating on if we need to keep the package.  I know in the MDR you are allowed to try multiple things on the menu, where Chops is basically one item per course.  I am currently in at $118 per person for a 5 night cruise which seems like a great price, but $118 spent in the MDR might go farther than at Chops.  Thoughts? Thanks for your help. 

Eating in the MDR alllows you to order lobster or a nice steak with an upcharge.  The environment is totally different from the specialty restaurants.   We like the MDR and don't want to pay extra $$ for specialty restaurants, but others want the less-busy atmosphere of the specialties.   I'd say you got a good price on the UDP, and you could always try it this cruise and then do the MDR another time.  Some travel agencies will give you specialty dinner or lunch coupons for an upgraded stateroom (e.g., balcony), which is what we do when we want to experiment.  Overall, there are advantages to each so it is a matter of $$ and your preferences for dining.  I'll let others who have used the UDP explain their strategies....

The UDP does not cover the upcharge menu items in the dining room.  For Enchantment effectively purchasing the UDP means you can eat in Chops whenever they are open (subject to seating availability).  I'm not sure the UDP has much value on Enchantment as the only option seems to be Chops.

The UDP will not cover the upcharge items in the MDR.  If you eat in the MDR and want the filet or lobster, you will have to pay the upcharge.

The only down side to having the UDP on a smaller ship like Enchantment is that you will end up eating in the same specialty restaurant numerous times.  If you want true variety, I would recommend you stick with the MDR and just pay the upcharge if you want one of the upcharge items.  If you want a filet or lobster every single night then you should stick with the UDP.

If I understand your OP correctly, you have paid $590 for 5 UDP packages.  $590 will buy a lot of upcharge items from the MDR.  Personally, I think your best bet would be to cancel the UDP, go to the MDR and order the occasional filet or lobster if the mood strikes.  As a frequent user of the UDP I can attest that you do get tired of eating at the same few restaurants after a while....especially when you throw in lunches on embarkation and sea days.

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The only down side to having the UDP on a smaller ship like Enchantment is that you will end up eating in the same specialty restaurant numerous times.  If you want true variety, I would recommend you stick with the MDR and just pay the upcharge if you want one of the upcharge items.  If you want a filet or lobster every single night then you should stick with the UDP.

As a frequent user of the UDP I can attest that you do get tired of eating at the same few restaurants after a while....especially when you throw in lunches on embarkation and sea days.

Good points @WAAAYTOOO. This is one of the reasons I didn't get the UDP for our cruise next year on Rhapsody. Although we enjoy, Giovanni's, Chops and Izumi. One trip to each of them a cruise is enough. I didn't want to miss out on the variety of dinner in the MDR. I'd definitely give the UDP a go, on an Oasis class ship or above. Maybe next cruise? ?