Post-Cruise: Everglades Airboat Ride (Ends at FLL)

FloridaCruiseGirl1210

My only caution is this:

We reserved a similar type of excursion from Port Canaveral only to find out during the cruise that it was cancelled due to insufficient participation.  Left us without anything to do but more importantly, no  transportation to the airport.  Have  plan B if you want to do this.  

2 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

My only caution is this:

We reserved a similar type of excursion from Port Canaveral only to find out during the cruise that it was cancelled due to insufficient participation.  Left us without anything to do but more importantly, no  transportation to the airport.  Have  plan B if you want to do this.  

Thank you for the insight. We definitely have a backup plan and were planning on doing something like this to begin with but when we saw that we could do it with an included transfer it seemed worth it to book it none the less. 

33 minutes ago, DandA said:

We took an uber to the airport and picked up a rental car for the day and went here:  https://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

We contemplated just getting a rental car but for us the rental car was nearly the same price as our flight back so we went with an excursion where we didn't have to drive (big goal for us this trip). If it gets canceled we will just grab an uber from the terminal to the airport and to some location. 

8 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

We contemplated just getting a rental car but for us the rental car was nearly the same price as our flight back so we went with an excursion where we didn't have to drive (big goal for us this trip). If it gets canceled we will just grab an uber from the terminal to the airport and to some location. 

Wow we got a rental for like $50,  another option would be to store you bags at the airport and uber out and back to the Everglades Holiday Park.  It's about 30 miles from the airport not sure what the uber cost would be though.  Good Luck with your after cruise excursion.

Depending on when you arrive to the airport and what airline you are flying, you may not be able to store your luggage at the airport.  I do not have a lot of experience but just suggest you investigate.  When my husband and I returned from our cruise in Dec 2018 to Port Canaveral with a flight time later than yours we ended up renting a car.  We also rented a car from the airport last minute because it was scheduled to rain all day long-and rain nearly the whole day it did.  I hope you have better weather though that was the worst weather our whole trip so we lucked out overall.

I've actually done this excursion, and we had an absolute blast!  Fun ride through the wetlands, lost of gators spotted, then samples of gator tail back at the Sanctuary building (yes, eating alligator tail AT an alligator sanctuary struck us as odd, but it was tasty!).  Bags were unloaded and waiting for us when we arrived at the airport.  Couldn't have been easier.  While I would be sure to have a plan B as suggested by earlier posts due to potential lack of participation leading to a cancellation, I found this to be a far more preferable and stress free way to spend the day versus hanging out at FLL and its vicinity...

Couple things: the airboats are really loud. Irresponsibly frick’n loud. They will give you earplugs and you will be glad to have them.

Bring sunscreen and sunglasses!!! You are off the ship but you are still in Florida. Zero shade, hot, and humid.

If it’s a RCL excursion, they will have several bus loads of folks with your same game plan. It will only get cancelled on account of lightning.

Is this a good way to do something unique, get you and your luggage to the airport, and eek your vacation a little further? Yes defiantly. Is this a celebration of Marjory Douglas and the Everglades ecosystem? No, between the obnoxious boats, alligator served for lunch, and various taxidermy gator parts sold in the gift shop; I came away the tour operator hated the ‘glades. I’m glad we did it just the same. JMO.

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

Couple things: the airboats are really loud. Irresponsibly frick’n loud. They will give you earplugs and you will be glad to have them.

Bring sunscreen and sunglasses!!! You are off the ship but you are still in Florida. Zero shade, hot, and humid.

If it’s a RCL excursion, they will have several bus loads of folks with your same game plan. It will only get cancelled on account of lightning.

Is this a good way to do something unique, get you and your luggage to the airport, and eek your vacation a little further? Yes defiantly. Is this a celebration of Marjory Douglas and the Everglades ecosystem? No, between the obnoxious boats, alligator served for lunch, and various taxidermy gator parts sold in the gift shop; I came away the tour operator hated the ‘glades. I’m glad we did it just the same. JMO.

Would agree with everything said here.  ?

6 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

I've actually done this excursion, and we had an absolute blast!  Fun ride through the wetlands, lost of gators spotted, then samples of gator tail back at the Sanctuary building (yes, eating alligator tail AT an alligator sanctuary struck us as odd, but it was tasty!).  Bags were unloaded and waiting for us when we arrived at the airport.  Couldn't have been easier.  While I would be sure to have a plan B as suggested by earlier posts due to potential lack of participation leading to a cancellation, I found this to be a far more preferable and stress free way to spend the day versus hanging out at FLL and its vicinity...

Thank you! I am from FL so I have had Gator before... pretty common, tastes like chicken. 

I appreciate the update! 

3 hours ago, bobroo said:

Thanks for the input. I'm from FL (born and raised) just haven't been air boating before. This is mostly just a way to kill time before our 5pm flight.