Hotel for Port Canaveral Cruise

WannaCruise

Starting to look for a hotel for one night for our Mariner cruise next summer.  Never taken a cruise out of Port Canaveral before so no idea where to stay.

We don't have flights booked yet (they open up in a couple weeks) so don't know if we just need a place to crash or stuff to do for the day, but overall we try to take an earlier flight, so probably will have the afternoon.  We don't need anything fancy...just a clean place, wifi, and pool and breakfast included are ideal.  In the morning, we would just take a taxi or uber to the port.

It looks like Cocoa Beach is the best area to look in terms of being near the port?  Or if we arrive later in the day, then airport hotels may be convenient (but long drive on cruise day).

From an initial search, any comments on any of the following Cocoa Beach hotels?

• La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham 
  • Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach
  • Country Inn & Suites Radisson Port Canaveral
  • Hilton Cocoa Beach (breakfast and wifi are additional charge)

Or Airport Hotels

• Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport
  • Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando Airport

Or others?  

Thanks.

Hampton inn on Coco beach was good for us, a really good restaurant just down the road with outdoor music. What impressed us as well was the organization for departing to,the cruise ship on port day, they actually gave us a number and when the driver pulled in he said I am taking numbers 1 thru 35, the next bus had 36 thru 70, instead of everyone rushing to get on the bus it was so organized, the motel,itself was very clean and comfortable.

36 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

I'm somewhat partial towards the Homewood Suites Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. For a standard spend the night and breakfast in the morning it fits the need.

Thanks.  I've added that to my list.  It's not available yet for booking so can't check prices (or sold out...but since it's 11 months away, guessing not available), but looks like an option too.  

37 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You know my vote already. Hyatt Regency at MCO! Hands down. Done it 3 times already and will be doing it again next year for Harmony.

I put Hyatt Regency on my list from reading your comment in another thread. ? Pricing not available yet , but will keep an eye on it.

6 minutes ago, Dan Curtis said:

Hampton inn on Coco beach was good for us, a really good restaurant just down the road with outdoor music. What impressed us as well was the organization for departing to,the cruise ship on port day, they actually gave us a number and when the driver pulled in he said I am taking numbers 1 thru 35, the next bus had 36 thru 70, instead of everyone rushing to get on the bus it was so organized, the motel,itself was very clean and comfortable.

Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like they are very organized on cruise morning. We've stayed at a couple Hampton Inns in Miami pre and post cruise and were happy with the hotel.

11 hours ago, ZsOverseas said:

Hilton Hotel Cocoa Beach is excellent and offers rates for parking and shuttle to and from the port.

9 hours ago, Clear Laker said:

Us too.  Got a great price on a huge suite with discount parking at the port.  Had good beach and pool.  Free parking. 

Thanks for the feedback.  We're flying in so don't need parking (and tend to take taxi so we are on our own schedule), but good to hear these hotels are recommended.

22 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport

This one really only gets my vote if you get in late the evening before your cruise.  I can't imagine wanting to spend a big chunk of your day cooped up at the airport.  If you get in early, I would definitely look into one of the other options that does have a pool.  I'd also rather do the trek out to the port area the day before so that's one less thing to deal with in the morning.  

On 9/29/2019 at 10:23 AM, WannaCruise said:

Starting to look for a hotel for one night for our Mariner cruise next summer.  Never taken a cruise out of Port Canaveral before so no idea where to stay.

We don't have flights booked yet (they open up in a couple weeks) so don't know if we just need a place to crash or stuff to do for the day, but overall we try to take an earlier flight, so probably will have the afternoon.  We don't need anything fancy...just a clean place, wifi, and pool and breakfast included are ideal.  In the morning, we would just take a taxi or uber to the port.

It looks like Cocoa Beach is the best area to look in terms of being near the port?  Or if we arrive later in the day, then airport hotels may be convenient (but long drive on cruise day).

From an initial search, any comments on any of the following Cocoa Beach hotels?

• La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham 
  • Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach
  • Country Inn & Suites Radisson Port Canaveral
  • Hilton Cocoa Beach (breakfast and wifi are additional charge)

Or Airport Hotels

Or others?  

Thanks.

If you arrive a day early and want to check out the beach itself, you'll want to stay farther away from the Port (e.g., not the Radisson).  There are some dated motels, like the Best Western, who have shuttles as well as park and cruise.  The Tower would be the preferred building there.  You get a nice veranda or window view of the beach, and you are a 2 minute walk from the pier with its many restaurants, tourist shops, and bars.  It will not be as nice as some of the other hotels, but it will be on the beach.  We have tried the Radisson but felt trapped at the hotel with limited dining options and no place to safely walk.  It's fine for a motel room or park & cruise, and kids love the pool.  So it boils down to $$, whether you want the beach, or whether you just want to get a good night's sleep before your cruise.  All of the hotels seem to have slightly higher prices than necessary (than you might find on the Interstate) - that is the Cocoa Beach premium.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

If you arrive a day early and want to check out the beach itself, you'll want to stay farther away from the Port (e.g., not the Radisson).  There are some dated motels, like the Best Western, who have shuttles as well as park and cruise.  The Tower would be the preferred building there.  You get a nice veranda or window view of the beach, and you are a 2 minute walk from the pier with its many restaurants, tourist shops, and bars.  It will not be as nice as some of the other hotels, but it will be on the beach.  We have tried the Radisson but felt trapped at the hotel with limited dining options and no place to safely walk.  It's fine for a motel room or park & cruise, and kids love the pool.  So it boils down to $$, whether you want the beach, or whether you just want to get a good night's sleep before your cruise.  All of the hotels seem to have slightly higher prices than necessary (than you might find on the Interstate) - that is the Cocoa Beach premium.

Thanks.  I looked at google maps and think I see what you mean. 

Basically places like Country Inn, Homewood Suites, Radisson are on Astronaut Blvd near the port.  There seem to be restaurants near by but otherwise, isolated.

Places on Altantic Ave. like Best Western, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, Four Points will add a few minutes more to the drive to port but have restaurants, CVS,  walgreens near by and are walk-able to the beach.  

Very good guidance. 

We'll be able to book our flights soon and so then we'll see how much time we'll have. Our kids are happy with a pool, chilling in the room (if a tv...lol) and then a place for dinner.  But if we end up with half a day, walking along a beach sounds very nice too and gives more options for just a few dollars more. (Although Best Western, regular building is quite reasonable)

7 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

This one really only gets my vote if you get in late the evening before your cruise.  I can't imagine wanting to spend a big chunk of your day cooped up at the airport.  If you get in early, I would definitely look into one of the other options that does have a pool.  I'd also rather do the trek out to the port area the day before so that's one less thing to deal with in the morning.  

Have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in the Orlando Airport.  They DO have a pool on a top floor that is large and affords the opportunity to watch take offs and landings.

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Cocoa Beach.  Nothing fancy for sure, but it was only the evening before cruise.  It was a 1-2 block walk to the beach. This made it very easy to walk over and we were lucky enough to be there for the SpaceX launch in May.   Across the street was McDonalds, a Walgreens or CVS, Surf Shop right next door.  Outdoor heated pool and hot tub.  Also free breakfast (waffles, eggs, pastries, muffins, etc.).   We spent most of the time walking the beach looking for shells, an hour or so in the pool/hot tub and then off to bed.  We live in South Dakota so we spend as much time with our feet in the ocean as possible.  It was an easy drive over to the port, I think they have a shuttle as well, but we had a rental car so not positive. 

In December we are arriving late (after 10:00pm) so we are staying at the Hyatt MCO and will travel to the Port the next morning.  I hate spending the price they are asking for a bed to sleep in for 7 hours but know that we will be tired and not want to fight to get a shuttle/uber to a different hotel. 

16 hours ago, ZsOverseas said:

Have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in the Orlando Airport.  They DO have a pool on a top floor that is large and affords the opportunity to watch take offs and landings.

Nice!  I never knew that existed!  That would be pretty cool to be able to watch the take-offs and landings.  I know when I've stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites that's across the street from the MCO runways I had fun watching all the activity.

I still wouldn't opt to stay at the Hyatt unless I got in super late just because I'd feel trapped at the airport by higher priced food offerings and just the general ease of getting off the property if I needed anything.  If it made sense money-wise though then absolutely it's a good option.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:23 AM, WannaCruise said:

Or Airport Hotels

If you're coming in earlier in the afternoon or evening, I'd personally just drive to the port and stay there (it's been too many years since I've stayed at Port Canaveral hotels to have an opinion on any).  

If you're coming in late, the Hyatt is a great option though it was >$200 the last time I was there.  Great hotel and it's nice to be in bed <20 minute after collecting your luggage.  I just walked down to the airport food court and got breakfast the next morning.   I've stayed at the Hampton Inn by the airport and it was fine.  It's about a mile away so also a good option for late flights.  

6 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

Radisson Resort at the Port

It's close, they offer park and cruise, shuttle to the ship and back, have a very nice pool. I've stayed there 3 or 4 times.

That pool looks amazing!

58 minutes ago, MikeK said:

We used to stay at the Radisson but found the Hampton Inn was a much better deal.  Since we live in Fl we always drive to the port.  The park and shuttle ride is a must for us so we tried the Hampton deal this last time.   Dan Curtis was spot on about the Hampton Inn.

Thanks.  Will compare prices of both of them.  

19 hours ago, devbak150 said:

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Cocoa Beach.  Nothing fancy for sure, but it was only the evening before cruise.  It was a 1-2 block walk to the beach. This made it very easy to walk over and we were lucky enough to be there for the SpaceX launch in May.   Across the street was McDonalds, a Walgreens or CVS, Surf Shop right next door.  Outdoor heated pool and hot tub.  Also free breakfast (waffles, eggs, pastries, muffins, etc.).   We spent most of the time walking the beach looking for shells, an hour or so in the pool/hot tub and then off to bed.  We live in South Dakota so we spend as much time with our feet in the ocean as possible.  It was an easy drive over to the port, I think they have a shuttle as well, but we had a rental car so not positive. 

I

That meets our preferred list so have Quality Inn marked too.  

On 9/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You know my vote already. Hyatt Regency at MCO! Hands down. Done it 3 times already and will be doing it again next year for Harmony.

So glad to hear that...we have a couple rooms next week before Harmony and I was wondering how it would suit. Thanks!!

We stayed at Radisson Resort at the Port before our cruise in February 2019.  The room was fine and its price was very reasonable; we didn't avail ourselves of the pool, but it did look inviting.  However -- DEFINITELY try eating at Zachary's (right next door).  We had breakfast there the morning of the cruise -- delicious, and an excellent value.  They have dinner as well -- we should have eaten there rather than at the Radisson, which had okay food but at somewhat elevated prices.  If we hadn't been so tired (traveled from Washington state), we would have ventured further out.  Great customer service at the Radisson, too.

5 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

We stayed at Radisson Resort at the Port before our cruise in February 2019.  The room was fine and its price was very reasonable; we didn't avail ourselves of the pool, but it did look inviting.  However -- DEFINITELY try eating at Zachary's (right next door).  We had breakfast there the morning of the cruise -- delicious, and an excellent value.  They have dinner as well -- we should have eaten there rather than at the Radisson, which had okay food but at somewhat elevated prices.  If we hadn't been so tired (traveled from Washington state), we would have ventured further out.  Great customer service at the Radisson, too.

Thanks for the feedback.  Would you have stayed there if you came in earlier?  There was a comment that his area is more isolated (not a safe area) and not walking distance to the beach, but many have mentioned this hotel.

18 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Would you have stayed there if you came in earlier?  There was a comment that his area is more isolated (not a safe area) and not walking distance to the beach, but many have mentioned this hotel.

I would not consider the area "unsafe;" it is not in the middle of a built up area, but there's a gas station/convenience store on the corner, then a mini-golf site, then the Zachary's restaurant I mentioned.  I think if we had gone in more than one day in advance, we would have rented a car, and would have explored more.  That said, I never felt like I couldn't walk around (there's actually a park nearby; I just didn't walk to / through it), and there were a few restaurants/breweries that we would have visited (on foot) if we had had more time.  It's not a resort area in terms of beach access; at least not within walkable distance, but I think the amenities (pool, nearby parks/etc.) would lend themselves to a more-than-one day stay. I'm sure an Uber or Lyft to/from the beach would not be more than a few dollars...

7 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I would not consider the area "unsafe;" it is not in the middle of a built up area, but there's a gas station/convenience store on the corner, then a mini-golf site, then the Zachary's restaurant I mentioned.  I think if we had gone in more than one day in advance, we would have rented a car, and would have explored more.  That said, I never felt like I couldn't walk around (there's actually a park nearby; I just didn't walk to / through it), and there were a few restaurants/breweries that we would have visited (on foot) if we had had more time.  It's not a resort area in terms of beach access; at least not within walkable distance, but I think the amenities (pool, nearby parks/etc.) would lend themselves to a more-than-one day stay. I'm sure an Uber or Lyft to/from the beach would not be more than a few dollars...

Appreciate the feedback.  Will look at all options once we book our flight.  The pool itself is a big pro for our kids....and sounds like there are restaurants around to grab somewhere for dinner.  We're pretty low key and don't need much in a hotel (esp if just for an afternoon and one night).

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2019 at 1:57 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Sorry to quote such an old post but I wondered the best way you have found to get from MCO to the port? We'll be cruising on Harmony next year... Hopefully!

39 minutes ago, AussieCoasterKing said:

Sorry to quote such an old post but I wondered the best way you have found to get from MCO to the port? We'll be cruising on Harmony next year... Hopefully!

All three times that we have stayed at the Hyatt, we take the cruise line transfer the morning of the cruise. We just pack up our things, head back down to baggage claim, and meet the shuttle.

Cortrans or Cruise Control Transportation both get excellent reviews.  We have used Cortrans and the service worked very well.  Both also pick up from MCO area hotels.  We will fly in and take the (Marriott off Semoran ? Blvd) hotel shuttle.  Lots of bars & restaurants in safe easy walking distance.  Complementary breakfast in the AM and the port shuttle picks us up at the hotel.  Many more hotel choices in various price ranges there and I’m not hanging out at the airport all evening.