Passports required to embark in Martinique

Ditchdoc

Just ran across this tid bit.

Generally cruise ships leaving and returning from a US ports did not have a passport requirement.

Officials in Martinique now require a valid passport in order to go ashore. This requirement will be strictly enforced by local authorities.

Martinique is a French island that is often visited on cruises to the Southern Caribbean.

Just another reason to get a passport if you don't already have one. Its the international form of ID. That's really all that needs to be said. You can print all of the paper work at home. Obtain a passport pic from your local CVS, Wal-Mart, Wal-Greens, etc if you don't have the means to print one at home. The cost is $145 but it lasts for 10 years. For $14.95 a year its worth  it and you never have to worry if you have the right documentation or not.

I am frequently amazed that passports are not a requirement for travel by cruise ship for any cruise.  

It wasn't that long ago that you could drive to Canada and back without a passport.  Those days are gone.  It's just a matter of time before all international travel, including travel by cruise ship, requires a passport.

5 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Amazes me anyone would leave their home country without a passport, that said I have a question. 

I don’t recall ever seeing a RCI itinerary that stops in Martinique; obviously I have missed something?

I went there on Anthem.  

It's not a popular stop because many Americans won't tolerate a cruise port of call that truly acts like a foreign country and doesn't accept $USD everywhere. It's ironic that this is accepted for Mediterranean itineraries but when it occurs in the Caribbean it blows people's minds.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I went there on Anthem.  

It's not a popular stop because many Americans won't tolerate a cruise port of call that truly acts like a foreign country and doesn't accept $USD everywhere. It's ironic that this is accepted for Mediterranean itineraries but when it occurs in the Caribbean it blows people's minds.  

Interesting, thanks for the information.  I think we need to be expanding our horizons all around that area to “freshen up” The Caribbean experience; as it has gotten quite stale. 

15 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Interesting, thanks for the information.  I think we need to be expanding our horizons all around that area to “freshen up” The Caribbean experience; as it has gotten quite stale. 

Martinique tends to be found on longer cruises like a 12 night on Anthem or 10 night on Serenade for example.  The area near the port will have some English and the temporary booths set up along the shore by the pier will accept $USD but as you venture further away from the immediate port area it is more French in nature with the Euro being the currency accepted.  I think it's the currency that upsets most people because they don't plan ahead or think about it, assuming the $USD is some sort of universal currency.  

Here are two stops I've done: 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5068-anthem-112517-712-b2b/&do=findComment&comment=50689

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6002-serenade-33018-10-night-eastern-caribbean/&do=findComment&comment=64537

4 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

Just ran across this tid bit.

Generally cruise ships leaving and returning from a US ports did not have a passport requirement.

Officials in Martinique now require a valid passport in order to go ashore. This requirement will be strictly enforced by local authorities.

Martinique is a French island that is often visited on cruises to the Southern Caribbean.

Do you have a link to this tid bit?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

but as you venture further away from the immediate port area it is more French in nature with the Euro being the currency accepted.  

Martinique is 1 of 4 islands in the Caribbean still governed by France, because of this they are classed as part of Europe so the Euro is the Official Currency, for European visitors when visiting you can use cellphone with EU roaming at no extra cost, but best to switch off on Sint Maarten as the Dutch side is not covered and you will get charges when you cross the border.