Sharing Multi-Device Voom

baltodave

54 minutes ago, baltodave said:

Hi Everyone,

For our next cruise, we are traveling with 2 other couples (of course, each couple in their own stateroom).  Is it possible for one of the couples to get a 3 or 4 device Voom package and each person get their own access code?  (it would save a few dollars).

Thanks and Happy Cruising!

We did that on the Mariner last June.  Four families shared a 4-device plan ... one device per family.  It worked for us.

EDIT:   I asked my friend who made the purchase for the group.  It was ONE code - 4 users (for the 4-device plan, of course).  My bad

I'm planning to do this very thing in a couple weeks.  My understanding is that for a multi-device plan, there is 1 code that as many as that number of devices can use at once.  For example, for the 4-device plan, 1 code can be used simultaneously by 4 devices.  My plan is to give the code to a person in each of the other staterooms (we have 4 staterooms total), and each stateroom would be able to log in at once.  Yes, there is substantial savings with this.  I picked up a 4-device plan for $30/day, so each stateroom would only have to pay $7.50/day.

Now the catch which I don't think I'll figure out until I'm on board... I'd also like for each stateroom to be able to share that code between them.  My plan is for the first person in that stateroom to log off, and then the second person in the stateroom could log in (using that same code, which again, is the only code available).  That will work fine.  The catch, though, is what happens when person #2 forgets to log out.  Person #1 then tries to log in, the code is already being used by 4 devices (even though person #2 wasn't actively using the device at the time but was still logged in), and... what?  Person #1 can't get on?  Person #1 gets on but kicks off another one of the four users already on?  If so, who gets kicked off?  The one who has been on the longest?  The one who most recently logged on?  Something random?

Sorry if I made that too complicated, but thought you might have the same set of questions as me. ?

Wes

23 minutes ago, WesF said:

My understanding is that for a multi-device plan, there is 1 code that as many as that number of devices can use at once.  For example, for the 4-device plan, 1 code can be used simultaneously by 4 devices. 

Yes, this is right.  I asked my friend who made the purchase for the group.  1 code - 4 users (for the 4-device plan, of course)

3 hours ago, WesF said:

I'm planning to do this very thing in a couple weeks.  My understanding is that for a multi-device plan, there is 1 code that as many as that number of devices can use at once.  For example, for the 4-device plan, 1 code can be used simultaneously by 4 devices.  My plan is to give the code to a person in each of the other staterooms (we have 4 staterooms total), and each stateroom would be able to log in at once.  Yes, there is substantial savings with this.  I picked up a 4-device plan for $30/day, so each stateroom would only have to pay $7.50/day.

Now the catch which I don't think I'll figure out until I'm on board... I'd also like for each stateroom to be able to share that code between them.  My plan is for the first person in that stateroom to log off, and then the second person in the stateroom could log in (using that same code, which again, is the only code available).  That will work fine.  The catch, though, is what happens when person #2 forgets to log out.  Person #1 then tries to log in, the code is already being used by 4 devices (even though person #2 wasn't actively using the device at the time but was still logged in), and... what?  Person #1 can't get on?  Person #1 gets on but kicks off another one of the four users already on?  If so, who gets kicked off?  The one who has been on the longest?  The one who most recently logged on?  Something random?

Sorry if I made that too complicated, but thought you might have the same set of questions as me. ?

Wes

I think some ships still issue a code but on Allure I had to create an account and then each device would just log onto that account.  The person that purchases the plan will receive a letter in their stateroom explaining how to setup the account.  The user name is their first name and then they create a password.  At that point you can have anyone you want log into the account regardless of stateroom up to 4 devices simultaneously.  If someone doesn't log off it will bump off one of the devices when the new one attempts to log on.  The letter says that you should logoff but it wasn't always necessary.  I don't know what determines who gets kicked off but you won't know until you attempt to use it. 

No more codes are issued! Who ever is the primary creates an account and the rest of the users use that user name and password. Once the maximum number is met,  no more access until another user signs out. With saying that, here's an example.

4 device plan - account is created and that user name and password will allow the other 3 to log in, for a total of 4. Once a user sings out another person can log-in with a new device.

warning-- whoever purchased the voom package needs to establish the account or else you will be charged for internet!

2 hours ago, Balsam said:

Did this on Voyager back in March.

One code, and if four devices were signed in and a fifth tried to sign in, it was simply blocked... it did not bump one of the existing devices.

I think the ones that are using the codes block you but the ones under the created accounts just knock you off.  Like I mentioned, it would knock someone off when the 5th device tried to log on but it did give me a warning, before proceeding, that 4 devices were already logged on.  

16 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

The Ovation must be using an older system.  For my sailing last month, I was given a code to log on.

Ovation has been upgraded to the new system that uses a user name and pass phrase.  

You can tell if the new system is in use when the wifi is no longer "royal-wifi" but "WiFi-Guest-Shipname".

This change was required for multiple ships to use CocoCay at the same time so it seems ships in the Caribbean were upgraded first but the upgrade is moving fast to all ships.  I don't know for fact that all ships have been upgraded but since Ovation was recently upgraded it stands to reason that all ships will soon be upgraded.   

20 hours ago, WesF said:

Wes

We were planning on the same thing, buying the 4 device plan and sharing with another cabin, but then realized it would be a pain if others don't log off and we didn't want to chase people down.  It wouldn't be family, but others in a large group we're sailing with.  So we spent the extra and just bought our own plan.

The risk is when one family gets greedy and they login multiple devices consuming multiple sessions and kick others off.

When it's family you share with that might work if everyone respects the process.  Dealing with more distant cruise or FB friends can sometimes not work out so well.  Even family can unintentionally break the process when they don't understand or remember to log off one device before logging in on another.   Not everyone in my family is tech savvy. 

5 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

In our case on the Mariner last June, we had an informal agreement that it was going to be one device per family/stateroom with a 4-device VOOM package.  No logging in and out of devices.  

I shared my package with 2 other passengers and after a day or two of getting knocked off I sent a message to both explaining to logoff before logging on another device and didn't have any issues afterwards.  But it absolutely can be a pain if you're not expecting it.  Still isn't enough to keep from not doing again because I still saved a good chunk.  Plus I know if I really need access I can knock them off and they can log back in.