Is VAT on third-party excursions refundable?

JLMoran

I've read how you can get a refund of any VAT paid in European ports for things you buy locally / off-ship, like jewelry or other goods. Does the same apply for any VAT charged as part of the purchase price for a third-party shore excursion?

Just purchased tickets for a small-group tour of the Golden Circle area south of Reykjavik, and it included 11% VAT in the price. I've checked the vendor's web site and don't see anything that indicates if VAT can be reclaimed for these purchases if I don't live in the EU. I'm guessing that if it's not mentioned there then it's probably not refundable, but figured I'd ask the experienced overseas travelers to confirm.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Thanks, @Mljstr. It makes sense, and kind of what I guessed would be the case. Understood it's your opinion and not confirmed fact, but still appreciated.

And the last time we were in Canada, there was a $$ limit -- all of the purchases needed to be from the same store with the total at the required threshold. 

Thanks, @Ray! And per that document, the key statement (emphasis added):

Can all goods be bought VAT-free?

No. There are some goods that do not qualify. The facility is intended for goods that could in principle be carried in personal luggage. Goods that have to be exported as freight, for example, and cars and yachts are excluded. Some countries may also exclude other categories of goods.

So as guessed by @Mljstr, something that is immediately "consumed" while in the EU cannot have the VAT refunded.