Documents Needed. Need answer ASAP :-(

mkhayden05

Quick questions that I hope someone has experience with.  My drivers license expired last month...due to death in the family among all that comes along with that, I didn't;t notice the date on my license.  I went to the DMV and renewed my license.  They gave me the expired one back with my photo id as well as a paper temporary license that has all of my drivers license info including the scan bar on it.  Everything but my picture.  I have my birth certificate.  Will I be able to board?  It is a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas.

1 minute ago, mkhayden05 said:

I went to the DMV today, they renewed my license but they only have the ability to print the temporary drivers license with the new expiration number on it.  They also gave me my expired (8/19) photo drivers license back.

I don't think any of us would know the answer.  Did you ask your DMV is you could fly with that id?  If so, then I would *think* you'd be ok but none of us really know the answer.  It would be a long 2 day drive home if you can't board with quite a bit of money lost.  

Those who look at your ID see all forms and types from all over the world. They are just comparing your happy face to the one on the ID and probably don't even know where the expiration date is, or care. And If the Trooper that stops you while rushing to the port accepts your paper renewal you should have no problem there?

I went ahead and got an international drivers license which has my photo in it.  I know it is not an official stated issued document but you can't one without a valid drivers license.  They accepted the paper one from the DMV that shows I am not expired and the expired license.  Here's to praying I can get on with my kids ?

Here is what I know. You can fly with it, and rent a car with it. I used to manage a rental company at the Charlotte Douglas, and we saw these from states all the time. As for leaving and entering the country with it.....I think you'll be fine as the temp IS a recognized govt. ID as long as you have the expired one with it. As someone else said, though .....I'd call RCC to be sure. 

29 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Does this mean that, barring any problems and complications, one can go on a cruise with just a driver's license?  I've long wanted to try this, presenting just my license and not my passport at check-in.

If going this route one would also need  to present a certified Birth Certificate.  Passport is far and away easier. 

A two day drive to port is a long drive to chew and hope on this. I do hope that you'll be alright. Just don't get off ship in any foreign ports. God forbid, if you did get left, needed to go to the hospital, etc, then you'll need more than just a drivers license and a birth certificate in your foreign port. Not sure if trip insurance would have kicked in for any unfortunate events surrounding (lack of) proper citizenship documentation, other than the CFAR.

10 hours ago, Big Tule said:

If you are only going on a domestic Cruise a drivers license is all you need,I have never needed a birth certificate (but that may be only Australia )

Definitely a different situation in Australia, thanks for posting it, i learned  something today. In the US however, if a US citizen, one can travel on a “closed loop” cruise (departing and returning to same US port)  with a drivers license, but must be accompanied by Birth Certificate to prove residency. 

I am not curious, in Australia do they only issue drivers license to residents? If not is there a different type of drivers license for non residents?

A person on a permanent visa can only drive on their overseas license for 3 months (6 months in Victoria). Before the end of that time, they MUST get a license from their state of residence .. Short term visitors (up to 3 months) can use an International Drivers License.

The laws vary State-by-State. Typically you will need to demonstrate (via a log book) that you have undertaken at least 120 hours of driving instruction, of which at least 20 hours has to be by a professional instructor (about $60/hr). You will need to pass a test to get a Learners Permit, then another test when you pass your driving test, and to get a full license you will need two years driving experience and pass another test.

Getting a driver's license in Australia is a pretty major exercise. If you don't have a friend who can help with the 120 hours of driving instruction, it would also be massively expensive. Its not something you would do if you had any other alternative.