Formal Evenings

We are now less than 30 days until our 10 night South Pacific cruise on Voyager of the Seas out of Sydney. Never took a 10 night cruise so I have a question for you all. I have been told there are two formal evenings on a night cruise; does anyone know what days of the cruise would be; for example second & six nights.....

We have to dress up for work and social fucntions here in Hong Kong; so a formal evening, dress-up dinner is not our thing so we were planning on hitting up some of the speciality restaurants those two evenings.

It's hard to predict when the formal nights I'll be unless you can find a Cruise Compass from a similar cruise. Generally they are the second and second to last night, but that can vary if you're in port then. They are never on the last night, though.

Specialty dining is always an option as the restaraunts are smart casual, but keep in mind that the suggested dress is rarely enforced. I've given up a suite for just a tie and I've seen much less on formal night, so don't feel that you must dine in the specialty restaraunts because of this.

Cannot tell you exactly about the Cruises from Australia, all my RCI Asian Cruises have been the SE Asia Ports. I have done a 10 day cruise out of Hong Kong and on that the formal nights were the second and the eighth day both were seas days. I believe on the longer cruises they try to use sea days as everyone is on the ship, it also takes up time on the sea day nights. Their is a very good reason to leave to days until the end of the cruise on these longer cruises. They want to sell photos and photo packages. Having the second one on the 8th day gives them extra time to do this.

I will tell you that the formal nights I have been to in Asia really have not been formal. Collarless shirts, no ties and clothing that on a USA RCI Cruise would never be allowed. One of the guess at our table on the 10 day cruise formal night was wearing a Designer Black T-Shirt & Black jeans nothing was said. When you looked around the room maybe 15 % of the men were in suits and ties, I did not see a single tux (Not counting Staff). On a shorter 5 day Cruise out of Singapore I was the only guest in a suit on formal night during our dinner service. Again I know the rules and what the website and customer service will tell you but in practice anything the people wanted to wear seemed to be allowed. I asked the Dinning Room Supervisor about this (we had talk several times before) and his reply was "Todd you know this is Asia.... We have the rules and we have the rules" with a smile. I understand exactly what he was saying and meaning.

So I would not rule out the Main Dinning Rooms on Formal Nights, and if you try and they say no you can still eat elsewhere.... with what seemed to be many others who would not met the stated dress code for Formal Nights.