Chops Grille or Chef's Table?

Jetty1441

I have not been to Chops yet....but reading their menu offerings, Chops would be a great steakhouse choice.   Other Chef's Table experiences lend itself to "adventurous" dining. Probably will have wine parings with each course.  The Chef's Table usually is a group dining experience, discussing all the flavors, etc.  Personally, I would want to celebrate a birthday in a more intimate setting and your husband deserves a big steak...and that most likely wouldn't be served at The Chef's Table.  Go to Chops.  

Chef's table on Oasis was fabulous.  Went with my husband and we had a grand time.  We weren't impressed with Chops much.  

PS I'm not a big wine drinker either.  Most of the wine I had at Chef's table was just a sip to see what they were talking about with how it paired to the food.

If you are not a wine drinker you are paying a lot of extra money for the wine. You said your husband is a wine drinker,  were you planning on purchasing a drink package? If so it makes Chef's Table a even worse deal, you don't drink and he is already maybe paying for wine in a package. On some of the ships Chef's Table is located in a paneled off area of the main dinning room another possible negative. Chops is always a upscale nice setting. 

A idea maybe to look at is go with chops and the money you save on chops put towards a drink package with wine for your husband. Let him celebrate his birthday for the whole cruise with wine?  Whatever you go with I'm sure he will be very happy. 

The wild card with Chef's Table is the other guests. It can be a really fantastic experience with great conversation and getting to know some fellow passengers or it can sometimes be awkward. You just don't know. If you get great guests it is well worth the money IMO. Our last Chef's Table did not include a Galley Tour. The Galley Tour is always an interesting experience and even though we have done it several times, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Big bonus points if your Chef's Table comes with a Galley Tour.

Chef's Table is guaranteed to show you that the head chef deeply cares about food. That's very cool. The host or sommelier generally talk a good game.

What I appreciate most about Chops (and most specialty restaurants) is that they prepare MY FOOD. They don't prepare food for 3,000 people. Coupled with bigger portions and the nice ambiance; Chops is a really nice departure from the crowds of the MDR. I think Chops should be your choice for the DH's birthday.

^^^^ chefs table is amazing but for a great steak & wine dinner it's a no brainier to go with Chops. PS: Like others are saying the chefs table is only as good as your company at the table. On Allure about 2 years ago we had an entire 10 person family break out into a fist fight. Security was called in and RC was buying us drinks (on top of the wine) for the remainder of the dinner. Great drama and great people watching.

• 4 weeks later...