Is 4B an upgrade or downgrade from a 2B?

Cpicc

I've been trying to decipher Royal's stateroom codes for a time now.  Like in this case, what is the difference between a 2B and a 4B?  Is there a rhyme and/or rhythm to these codes.  I have a PDF of the latest recategorization grid but it looks to me like the Da Vinci Code (Cabin-Sea Code... ha ha).  Has anyone here seen a video or article that explains how to interpret the grid?  When the experts here are given a room code (for example "1V"), do you immediately know how the room will look like?

Here are some webpages I've seen so far:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/17055533_Recategorization_Trade_Grid.pdf

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/14/staterooms-what-are-the-difference-between-royal-caribbeans-d1-d2-d4-etc-balcony-rooms
(This article is more than three years old, time for an update, @Matt?)

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/03/01/royal-caribbean-re-categorize-all-staterooms-fleet-wide

http://royalcaribbeaninternational.com.au/rcfilelibrary/files/News/17_3_8_RCI_StateroomRecategorisation.pdf
(Very confusing article... at least to me)

8 hours ago, Cpicc said:

I booked a GTY spacious oceanview balcony 2B and was just assigned a 4B.   

@Cpicc, can you please clarify if they guaranteed a "spacious oceanview balcony 2B" to you at booking?  Did you mean that you booked a "2B" stateroom?  Or did you actually mean that you booked a "Ocean View Balcony Guarantee", in which case the code would have been "XB"?

Yes, maybe this is just a confusion of 2B and XB.  I have never seen a mid-ship GTY.  Just yesterday I was assigned my inside GTY for my 9N OCT Anthem cruise at 30 days out.  We got deck 11 but waaaay in the aft.  We are good with this room since we only paid $90 per person per day.  The inside Anthem rooms have more storage than we can use (this is unusual for us) and come with the virtual balcony screens.  They are a great value even if not mid-ship.

1 minute ago, YOLO said:

Just yesterday I was assigned my inside GTY for my 9N OCT Anthem cruise at 30 days out.  We got deck 11 but waaaay in the aft. 

Be prepared for noticeable movement if the seas get bumpy, maybe bring some Bonine as a precaution. Last year on Anthem we hit some rough weather on the final night, and the movement on those upper decks both aft (CK / Windjammer) and forward (Solarium) was enough to get me a little seasick.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Be prepared for noticeable movement if the seas get bumpy, maybe bring some Bonine as a precaution. Last year on Anthem we hit some rough weather on the final night, and the movement on those upper decks both aft (CK / Windjammer) and forward (Solarium) was enough to get me a little seasick.

Thanks Joe.  We should be OK and we always have Bonine with us - my wife takes it on all cruises.  We were mid-ship on our June Anthem cruise and that was NP.

4 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

@Cpicc, can you please clarify if they guaranteed a "spacious oceanview balcony 2B" to you at booking?  Did you mean that you booked a "2B" stateroom?  Or did you actually mean that you booked a "Ocean View Balcony Guarantee", in which case the code would have been "XB"?

It was a Spacious OV Balcony 2B GTY. I’ve attached a piece of my invoice so you can see.  This is my first cruise so not sure about XB or anything else.  I booked through and agency and a group rate.... maybe that makes a difference?

EE5494FA-5C46-4E7B-8072-BCB9F6737C5A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Cpicc said:

It was a Spacious OV Balcony 2B GTY. I’ve attached a piece of my invoice so you can see.  This is my first cruise so not sure about XB or anything else.  I booked through and agency and a group rate.... maybe that makes a difference?

With your documentation you should be able to call your agent and argue for a 2B.  Did you try calling?

I just did a mock booking for an Adventure 8-night southern Caribbean out of Port Everglades just to see this 2B vs 4B difference.  When you go through to book a balcony you get the option to pick your own room, but then when that comes up you only get two choices:

• Ocean View Balcony Guarantee (4D, 6D)
  • Spacious Ocean View Balcony (2B, 4B, 6B)

I find it odd that a guarantee pops up when you click to choose your own room.

Thanks Royal IT!

48 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I just did a mock booking for an Adventure 8-night southern Caribbean out of Port Everglades just to see this 2B vs 4B difference.  When you go through to book a balcony you get the option to pick your own room, but then when that comes up you only get two choices:

• Ocean View Balcony Guarantee (4D, 6D)
  • Spacious Ocean View Balcony (2B, 4B, 6B)

I find it odd that a guarantee pops up when you click to choose your own room.

Thanks Royal IT!

I tried doing a mock booking myself.  The Spacious Ocean View Balcony rooms are sold out on the January 4 sailing.  But I finally got ones available for April 2020.

Anyway, @AshleyDillo, what did you mean "you only get two choices"?  For the Spacious Ocean View Balcony, you get 3 - 2B, 4B, and 6B.

Nobody has really addressed the question asked in the post title. Of course, my answer won't really address it either.

Is 4B an upgrade or downgrade from a 2B? - That all depends on whether you prefer mid-ship or closer to one end. We prefer to have some noticeable motion while under way and like the forced extra walking, so for us 4B would be an upgrade from 2B. If you like it calmer or want to be closer to stairs and elevators, it would be a downgrade.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Nobody has really addressed the question asked in the post title. Of course, my answer won't really address it either.

Is 4B an upgrade or downgrade from a 2B? - That all depends on whether you prefer mid-ship or closer to one end. We prefer to have some noticeable motion while under way and like the forced extra walking, so for us 4B would be an upgrade from 2B. If you like it calmer or want to be closer to stairs and elevators, it would be a downgrade.

Royal considers it a more desirable category because they do charge more.  I think it was $18 more when I was doing the mock booking.  

That would be my argument to the OP if they want to push the issue and Royal pushes back that they still are getting a spacious OV balcony.  I know with GTY assignments you have been able to contact Royal to get your room number switched to a cabin within the same category after you got the assignment.  So I wonder if the OP attempts to switch to a 2B that shows as available on Royal's site if it will be allowed because of this slight price differential.

There are many times I have seen "GTY" per specific category and it's usually when that category is close to being sold out.The company should not violate that with a downgrade. It has been my experience they usually don't but Royal loves to blame the infamous "glitch." I would expect it to be easily rectified to your satisfaction with a call from your agent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 7:59 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

Thank you.... I don’t know yet..... first cruise.  I’ve spoken to my TA, keeping this room. She contacted RC who said it was the same category as promised....  not sure I completely agree with that statement but I’m good with the room assigned. 

23 minutes ago, KathyC said:

How's this one, to confuse you even more? We were assigned 9678 which is listed as a "purple" cabin.  My old eyes aren't good enough to determine which purple category it is.

685419780_2019-10-07(2).png.d78b011939c175c14c4f82a7bb935bef.png

I see what you mean ... couldn't they use less similar shades of pink and purple??

image.png.020915bfd856d72da27824df6020a79d.png

But you got an 8D, do here's its description on their recategorization grid - "Forward/Aft room with Balcony; Sleeps up to 2 guests"

10 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I see what you mean ... couldn't they use less similar shades of pink and purple??

image.png.020915bfd856d72da27824df6020a79d.png

But you got an 8D, do here's its description on their recategorization grid - "Forward/Aft room with Balcony; Sleeps up to 2 guests"

My cabin before amp had a sofa bed & pullman.  Curious if the pullman will still be there in December...hard to remove that. ?