Alternate places to eat

DebAtSea

I've been on one cruise, but not on Royal Caribbean. I loved formal night (which will be dress your best.) But last time all we did was show up. The cruise line picked up our luggage from the airport and did all the heavy lifting. (We did a cruise tour.)

This time I'm going alone. I'm going to Disney before and after, and I'm just not sure I want to lug around a party dress. Will the Windjammer be nuts that night? What are my other choices that will not cost more than $15? (I feel weird saying I can't afford a more expensive dinner, but what started as a cheap 4 day getaway has morphed into the thing that ate my credit card.) 

5 minutes ago, DebAtSea said:

I've been on one cruise, but not on Royal Caribbean. I loved formal night (which will be dress your best.) But last time all we did was show up. The cruise line picked up our luggage from the airport and did all the heavy lifting. (We did a cruise tour.)

This time I'm going alone. I'm going to Disney before and after, and I'm just not sure I want to lug around a party dress. Will the Windjammer be nuts that night? What are my other choices that will not cost more than $15? (I feel weird saying I can't afford a more expensive dinner, but what started as a cheap 4 day getaway has morphed into the thing that ate my credit card.) 

The restaurants vary by ship. For example, on the Harmony you could eat at the Solarium Bistro (for free) as an alternative to the Windjammer or Main Dining room, but they want reservations for dinner to manage the crowd.  You can look at the deck plans for your ship to learn more about restaurants and locations.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/deck-plans

If you read a past cruise compass for your ship, you can find hours of operation for the restaurants.  You also can eat in the Main Dining Room without a party dress...Have a great cruise.

27 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

The restaurants vary by ship. For example, on the Harmony you could eat at the Solarium Bistro (for free) as an alternative to the Windjammer or Main Dining room, but they want reservations for dinner to manage the crowd.  You can look at the deck plans for your ship to learn more about restaurants and locations.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/deck-plans

If you read a past cruise compass for your ship, you can find hours of operation for the restaurants.  You also can eat in the Main Dining Room without a party dress...Have a great cruise.

Thank you! I'm going on the Mariner of the Seas. It should be a great vacation.  I was thinking maybe Johnny Rockets that night. 

As @ChessE4 and @JLMoran mentioned, there are many alternatives to eating in the WJ on embarkation day. A lot of people like @Mattlike to eat there first thing, because it's tradition, others because it has a great variety  of really great food. Because of this though, WJ is always the most crowded food venue on embarkation day, no matter what ship you seem to be on. I don't think it's a must to eat there first thing. You'll have enough time during your cruise to eat there. Just my opinion.

Happy Cruising!

18 hours ago, DebAtSea said:

To be honest, you don't need a "party dress" -- I can't do dresses anymore (can't wear heels/hose), so I have dressy palazzo pants & nice blouses for "formal" nights -- but if you want to wear a sundress, or slacks & a nice blouse, you won't be out of place.  I also own a few maxi length sleeveless dresses that I just throw a shrug over -- takes up very little space, and jewelry dresses it up enough for me.  Go to formal night neatly dressed -- you'll be fine!