Gratuity Envelopes?

Neesa

At the end of your sailing are you given gratuity envelopes or something of that nature? We may leave the auto-gratuity so even the "others" receive the monies (thanks so much for the previous breakdowns) but most likely will then recognize the superior service at the end in cash, should I bring individual envelopes? Thank you so much for your input.

I just grab them from the steward's cart when I'm too lazy to go to guest services. ?

Sometimes, at around Day 2, I ask the room steward about them very nonchalantly.  The subtle hint nudges them towards more exceptional service.  Not that their service is unsatisfactory to begin with. (As an aside, I've always gotten good room stewards and waiters in all my Royal cruises.)

image.thumb.png.c04f681100f2acf71310505adccfad83.png

17 hours ago, DebAtSea said:

I like to bring thank you cards and put the money in that. 

We did this on Harmony last June. My wife wrote a quick note in them for the steward, waiter and assistant waiter along with an extra gratuity over the pre-paid ones. It was way less awkward then just trying to hand someone some cash.  I also found that it was a good way to teach my daughters about gratuities as they got to hand out the cards. They even asked the waiter and assistant for a picture because they got to know them so well.

20190608_183136(0).jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi, On previous cruises we said we did not want to pay gratuities up front but preferred to have envelopes and tip whomever we wished. Can you still do this? We don't drink so why should we tip the wine waiters and bar staff? We don't use the laundry so why tip them? I would rather give that extra money to my waiters and cabin steward and those who clean my room.

3 hours ago, Mcleod said:

Hi, On previous cruises we said we did not want to pay gratuities up front but preferred to have envelopes and tip whomever we wished. Can you still do this? We don't drink so why should we tip the wine waiters and bar staff? We don't use the laundry so why tip them? I would rather give that extra money to my waiters and cabin steward and those who clean my room.

You can have the gratuities removed at Guest Services when you board.

The daily service charge does go towards your waiters and room steward as well as the behind the scenes crew that make those departments run smoothly. Drinks have a gratuity added on each purchase or when the drink package is purchased them and that's where the bar staff gets their gratuities. That isn't part of the daily service charge.

Unless you don't use sheets or towels, you do use the laundry.

When I said laundry I meant cleaning and pressing of clothes which is paid for separately anyway. I thought that on previous cruises I have seen 'bar staff.' Seriously though I feel, rightly or wrongly my money should go to whom I choose and whose services I use, not to whom I am told. You wouldn't tip the milkman if he doesn't deliver your milk. Just saying 😅

i just grabbed a bunch of those small colored envelopes on amazon.

they came in a stack of 100, i think, but i know i'll get use out of them for other places too -- when at the salon, or other appointments it is customary to leave a tip behind. this way i don't have to awkwardly wait or finagle a handoff. i can have it ready to go and discreetly leave behind with the intended recipient as i'm ready to depart.

can also write notes on them if needed and they are not too big or small (at least for us).

I picked up the habit of getting blank Thank You cards at $1.25 tree. I like being able to put a little note in with the money and letting them know what little or big thing(s) they did that made us happy. But we do also do prepaid gratuities so a small pack of 8 is more than enough for the few people who we feel go above and beyond.