Port Information

PG Cruiser

Hi @Matt!  I have a request and/or suggestion for future blogs. I think we need dedicated vlogs with information on the various ports that Royal Caribbean uses, one vlog per port if possible.  I think it's undeniable that every cruise starts with the port experience. It would be very helpful, especially for first time cruisers, to find information on nearest airports, train stations, rideshare app availability, taxis, airport transfers, baggage handling, tipping, hotels with shuttles, etc.  When I made a search in the blog, I found one for the Port Tampa quickly. Then after some more searching, I found one for Fort Lauderdale.  While "shopping" for cruises, I've found myself having to look in many places for this kind of information.

Speaking of which, (I will start a new topic if you would like), Our Adventure Of The Seas cruise next month includes a stop in Boston. That is the largest port we have ever stopped at. It is separate from the terminal port, isn't it? Also, two of my brothers are meeting us there. Where is a good meeting spot?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, packercruising said:

Speaking of which, (I will start a new topic if you would like), Our Adventure Of The Seas cruise next month includes a stop in Boston. That is the largest port we have ever stopped at. It is separate from the terminal port, isn't it? Also, two of my brothers are meeting us there. Where is a good meeting spot?

If your brothers are driving in, they should be able to pick you right up at the port.  When you exit the ship you will filter out onto a road called Black Falcon and they can pick you up on that street.  Or if you want to get away a bit from the crowd, there's the ID building (Innovation and Design Building) at the corner of Black Falcon and Design Center Place.  It's a real easy port to navigate.

2 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Hi @Matt!  I have a request and/or suggestion for future blogs. I think we need dedicated vlogs with information on the various ports that Royal Caribbean uses, one vlog per port if possible.  I think it's undeniable that every cruise starts with the port experience. It would be very helpful, especially for first time cruisers, to find information on nearest airports, train stations, rideshare app availability, taxis, airport transfers, baggage handling, tipping, hotels with shuttles, etc.  When I made a search in the blog, I found one for the Port Tampa quickly. Then after some more searching, I found one for Fort Lauderdale.  While "shopping" for cruises, I've found myself having to look in many places for this kind of information.

I like this idea! 

Image result for make it so meme

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

@Matt --- If you go down this road, I'll be more than happy to step up to the plate regarding Baltimore ....

Mark

I was gonna suggest this too ... that we can enlist other members for ports that @Matt doesn't have access to for information, walkthrough videos, tips, etc.

As I was looking at ships originating from non-US ports, I found information about airports and transfers very valuable. 

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

If your brothers are driving in, they should be able to pick you right up at the port.  When you exit the ship you will filter out onto a road called Black Falcon and they can pick you up on that street.  Or if you want to get away a bit from the crowd, there's the ID building (Innovation and Design Building) at the corner of Black Falcon and Design Center Place.  It's a real easy port to navigate.

See, this is the kind of "insider" info we need.  If we had videos of this ports in the blog section, we can just provide links to them, right @Matt?

33 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

See, this is the kind of "insider" info we need.  If we had videos of this ports in the blog section, we can just provide links to them, right @Matt?

I've got a couple of them in regards to Baltimore ..... I did a "scope" a couple of years out as we were driving north on I-95 to show the actual drivers view of getting to the port.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

One wish granted...

Woot woot!!! ... One down, 3,584 episodes to go ... ha ha

Is there a way to keep all of these Port Information videos/episodes in one place like in a playlist or something?  Maybe add another tab up top next to where the "Menus, Cruise Compass, Events" are at?

21 hours ago, packercruising said:

Thanks!

Are your brothers familiar with driving in Boston?  It's not the most friendly driving experience for someone who is not familiar with the streets and traffic flow.  Parking can be pricey to say the least. 

Depending on their level of knowledge (and patience), it may be easier for them to park outside the city and take public transportation in.  I drive to the BCEC (exposition hall in that area) quite a bit, and I pay close attention to the time of day I'm heading in to the city.

Are you meeting for the afternoon?  There are some decent places in walking distance to meet up for lunch or drinks.  Boston's Seaport district is kinda the new "in place", and 10-15 minutes walking will get you into an area where there are good choices.  

If you're not up for walking a bit, taxi or ride share would probably be your best options.  

Boston can be windy and raw if the weather isn't cooperating....just something to keep in the back of your mind.  ? 

23 hours ago, RatedPG said:

I was thinking a similar thing the last few months with our Labor Day cruise on Enchantment out of Galveston Tx. VERY  little info is available on this site. I wanted to add more content for people looking to sail out of this mediocre city. I blogged the cruise but further more I added a bunch of info about this under utilized CHEAP port to sail out of.

@Matt Is it possible to add a "TAB" to the message board that just says "PORTS". Then either sub tabs for every port or just let the locals make city posts "Galveston" "Miami" "Progreso" etc.  this will make it easier to find info on a particular port.

28 minutes ago, MotleyCruiser said:

@Matt Is it possible to add a "TAB" to the message board that just says "PORTS". Then either sub tabs for every port or just let the locals make city posts "Galveston" "Miami" "Progreso" etc.  this will make it easier to find info on a particular port.

I try to keep the navigation as simple as possible. I know it means searching to find things, but alas, most users never bother with the navigation anyway.

23 hours ago, packercruising said:

Thanks!

I would second the responses about driving in Boston. I work there and I don't recommend it.  Ride share is likely best if they don't want to do the T. The seaport is one of the best places to hang out with all the recent changes down there. Tons of restaurants and not a far walk to the T for a short ride to the Faneuil Hall area and a bit of local flavor.

21 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Thanks Ashley!

teddy- My brothers are very familiar with Boston, so no problem there. We want to see the USS Constitution. My brother has it planned out for the 6 hours we will be there.

33 minutes ago, packercruising said:

No, we are on the Snowbird cruise from Quebec City down to Ft. Lauderdale. I think it is like the one Nate is on now, except they disembark in NJ. Boston is a port we are in for the day.

Just so you know @twangster live blogged that cruise last year if you are looking for some additional insight. 

3 hours ago, packercruising said:

Thanks Ashley!

teddy- My brothers are very familiar with Boston, so no problem there. We want to see the USS Constitution. My brother has it planned out for the 6 hours we will be there.

We caught a rideshare and that's where we headed actually.  Spent some time there and then rideshared on over to the Beacon Hill area and followed the Liberty Trail for a spell until we got tired of walking and then rideshared back to the ship!

The area immediately by the port had zero congestion relative to the more touristy parts of Boston we saw and as your brothers will know if they are familiar, they should be able to easily find parking near the USS Constitution area.  

But at least you know they do allow private vehicles into the port area with no issues.  Just depends on when they arrive to grab you as to how congested the pick up can be..it's a one way in and out of the port..the road loops around to the back of the port terminal building.  That's why my suggestion was if you can hoof it up the block to the ID building that they could effectively avoid getting stuck in any traffic.  But if you wait for the initial onslaught of folks and tours leaving the port area it will calm down considerably and there will be little to no traffic. 

It's all of a 4-5 mile drive from the port to the USS Constitution, but with traffic/construction you need to assume it's going to be a 30-minute drive.