Air-to-Sea

Lovestotravel

I am SURE this is a really dumb question, but, is it possible to use airline miles with Air-to-Sea?  So, if the tickets RC purchases are from American (for example), I don't suppose I can use miles I have for reduced fares?  Obviously,  I know I can just book my own flights and access my miles.  However, if i want the Air to Sea protection of a missed departure etc., I am guessing I can't combine the two?  TIA for a really silly question! 

15 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

I am SURE this is a really dumb question, but, is it possible to use airline miles with Air-to-Sea?  So, if the tickets RC purchases are from American (for example), I don't suppose I can use miles I have for reduced fares?  Obviously,  I know I can just book my own flights and access my miles.  However, if i want the Air to Sea protection of a missed departure etc., I am guessing I can't combine the two?  TIA for a really silly question! 

Not a stupid question, but no I am not aware of any way.

12 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Not a dumb question as we all like to use our points!  You cant use the points to purchase, but you can buy, link to your account, and use points to upgrade your seat if you wanted.

I believe this may depend on the fare. Not all fares are "upgradeable" so you may want to make sure you get one. On some airlines, upgrades are limited to those with certain status, too. So it's not always as simple as "I have miles, upgrade me". And of course, most are space available and those with status may have the ability to upgrade long before those without status.

21 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

I believe this may depend on the fare. Not all fares are "upgradeable" so you may want to make sure you get one. On some airlines, upgrades are limited to those with certain status, too. So it's not always as simple as "I have miles, upgrade me". And of course, most are space available and those with status may have the ability to upgrade long before those without status.

That is a true statement.... depends on the starting point if with the airline you can upgrade or not.  Sorry should have been a little clearer on this.   All airlines have the basic seat to get on the plane that you cannot upgrade your seat later.  Make sure to ask about that when working with Air to Sea so you have a fare that you can pick your seat and upgrade.  Then you can possibly use your points to upgrade if you have enough and you book a fare that allows you to upgrade.

5 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

That is a true statement.... depends on the starting point if with the airline you can upgrade or not.  Sorry should have been a little clearer on this.   All airlines have the basic seat to get on the plane that you cannot upgrade your seat later.  Make sure to ask about that when working with Air to Sea so you have a fare that you can pick your seat and upgrade.  Then you can possibly use your points to upgrade if you have enough and you book a fare that allows you to upgrade.

It may even be trickier than that. The people manning the cruiseline airfare desks are not expert travel agents...they're basically glorified salespeople. They may have access to if a fare is upgradeable with a simple "Yes' or "No" note on that fare type. Maybe. But even if they do, they may just say "Yes" without telling, or even knowing, that while the fare is technically ungradeable, it is only upgradeable to a certain group of people. Definitely one of the risks of booking your air travel through people who aren't air travel experts.

I used the Air to Sea for a one way ticket from Raleigh/Durham to London for a transatlantic cruise.  I picked the cheapest ticket that had the best connection.  After Air to Sea sent me the Delta confirmation number, I contacted Delta and paid a little bit to change the class of ticket to one that was up-gradable.  Then I used my miles to upgrade that class of ticket to first class.  It was worth the extra charge and use of miles to fly in first class from New York to London.  I think I ended up paying a total of $650 dollars plus the miles.  At the time, that same first class ticket was selling on the Delta site for around $10,000.

48 minutes ago, davelliott said:

After Air to Sea sent me the Delta confirmation number, I contacted Delta and paid a little bit to change the class of ticket to one that was up-gradable. 

When does Air2Sea send out confirmation numbers?  After final cruise payment is made?

31 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

When does Air2Sea send out confirmation numbers?  After final cruise payment is made?

I got my confirmation email immediately with the airline confirmation number.  However, it took me about 4 months waiting for the airline to make the ticket classes available to be upgraded.  Then I had to call them to pay the difference to change classes.  But I used a paid service to monitor the ticket classes, so I wouldn't have to watch that myself.