Ovation Goes South to Hawaii Sept. 20, 2019

twangster

38 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

That’s my favorite part of football Sunday’s on Vegas trips. Wake up, get breakfast, head to the sports book to make a day of bets. Being on the east coast I normally have to wait till 1pm. 

Games start 7am this Sunday, followed by 10:25am.  Sleep in and you've missed most of it.  Might make spouses happier though.  Still lots of daylight for the honey-do list afterwards.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Engines are out of their control, Boeing doesn't make engines.  Speaking of engines, they are the most expensive component on a wide body jet.  Know what the 2nd most expensive item is?

Still waiting.....what's the 2nd most expensive item????

Just noticed...  no kettle or coffee machine in my balcony cabin like there was in May on the first Alaskan voyage after Ovation came North.

I just saw crew carrying large bags full of the small black kettles down the hall.  I wonder if they plan to put them back into cabins for the upcoming Australian cruise season.   

Last of the enrichment talks today ended with a lecture on the history of Pearl Harbor.  This series of lectures has featured Quintinn Holi, a native Hawaiian as guest speaker.

mYAz1dw.jpg

The lectures have progressed through the history of Hawaii.  The original rulers of the Kingdom of Hawaii, the US occupation, statehood and finally Pearl Harbor.

Performing live for us was Gordon Freitas, a retired Navy Chief who has written songs such as BB-39 (Battleship Arizona) and Peaceful Arizona.     

Day 6 continued...

Forgot to mention Meal with an Officer yesterday.  With over 200 participants it was a big one.  The Grande dining room was very loud with so many conversations it was hard to hear anything.  Good meal though.

Emgm2ec.jpg

Few lines at the North Star. 

2WtNCPZ.jpg

LjkfpMo.jpg

nQPwHRL.jpg

Later in the day there was a wedding party boarding North Star.  Wedding at Sea.

Day 7 - Sea Day / Cruising Napali Coast

Our progress so far...

TSarVWh.jpg

RUdf6Rx.jpg

The Captain estimates we should start seeing land sometime around 10am this morning.  The Napali coast is on the North West end of Kauai so we'll cruise the Napali coastline starting some time around noon then turn around Kauai and head East towards Lahaina, Maui for arrival tomorrow. 

Hope you got a great view of the Na Pali Coast! That was one of our favorite places to see when we honeymooned in Hawai'i. We had a slightly different perspective, though, since we sailed the coastline in a Zodiac! ?

If you ever get a chance to go back to Kaua'i, try and get a tour that takes you to the Kalalau Valley area. If you do, and the weather cooperates, you get a stunning view from up high looking downward to the ocean on that same coastline! Completely different perspective and utterly gorgeous. I shot an entire roll of film that day just getting pictures of that and Waimea Canyon to scan and stitch together into panoramas on my computer.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, heffy2 said:

I worked onboard the Pride of America at guest services for two years, the Hawaiian Islands may be my favorite itinerary of all time, even though I was working everyday. I can't wait to see your pictures.

I have PoA booked for April 2022. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nor for our roughly four hours at the Na Pali Coast.

Approaching Kauai and the first land we've seen in almost 6 days.

x2ZMWKe.jpg

wWTeCG0.jpg

74Lgy08.jpg

S93nZFc.jpg

jrl4QgQ.jpg

tb7ONf2.jpg

MyZkYwX.jpg

wN7WVUs.jpg

X0EKIdd.jpg

TVTSjNE.jpg

rd6TnN3.jpg

HrOJXkw.jpg

As noted above the Captain spun the ship in a 360° turn so that both sides we able to see the coast.

9cOc6Q2.jpg

rv6CFjU.jpg

AqUjAtD.jpg

It's hard to capture in pictures or words so I'll just dump a bunch of photos in here and try through pictures.

yBVy4gp.jpg

3zwCIC7.jpg

ROMJFPo.jpg

eCAKNl2.jpg

ua2ZpLn.jpg

PXBO5So.jpg

F1U4sfP.jpg

m4YMs2i.jpg

jOkJ1la.jpg

h2ieAVf.jpg

tu0Zmzy.jpg

236mnSR.jpg

hW8aMu9.jpg

mXy5aLh.jpg

EoHUAtB.jpg

C6xzVu4.jpg

YVFB5zx.jpg

iI5ySsr.jpg

Y4Frn4U.jpg

A22TjRv.jpg

With that it was time to sail on and away toward Maui.

A32t92l.jpg

Top tier event after we left the Na Pali coast.

Platinum 477, Emerald 315, Diamond 700, Diamond Plus 415, 40 Pinnacle.

Day 7 Night

As we make our way along the chain of Hawaiian Islands towards Maui the North Star was empty and they were begging for participants to justify the ride.  Minimum 6-7 was being requested.  So... why not?

n2xI0F9.jpg

LP8x6Aq.jpg

HFdWcY1.jpg

zx6LkWl.jpg

oXgkZvr.jpg

Later on my balcony I spotted an old friend... the Milky Way.  We've come far enough South that it's still visible.   It's hard when shooting off the side of the ship given the ship's forward motion so I had to crank up the ISO and shorten the exposure.

zwkREqU.jpg

5Pdeoi3.jpg

33 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Are they doing the upcharge NorthStar (like they did for the Alaska glaciers) when viewing the island shores ?

I’m just jumping on when I feel like it.  No upcharge North Star on this sailing.  All rides are regular North Star rides.  

23 hours ago, twangster said:

tb7ONf2.jpg

23 hours ago, twangster said:

ua2ZpLn.jpg

Almost 22 years since I've been there, and I still recognized this instantly. This is the Kalalau Valley I mentioned earlier. Those clouds hanging over it are almost always there, and it's very hard on the land tours to get a view from above. Just as stunning and beautiful all these years later!

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

I haven't forgotten about this thread.  

With three ports days in a row with long excursions each day followed by disembarking in Honolulu this morning there hasn't been time to post.  I'll finish this off from the comfort of my living room back home.

What?!  You got off already.  That was way too fast.  Have a safe flight home.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I haven't forgotten about this thread.  

With three ports days in a row with long excursions each day followed by disembarking in Honolulu this morning there hasn't been time to post.  I'll finish this off from the comfort of my living room back home.

What?! You got off already and haven't boarded another cruise?!?! I was sure you were going to surprise us all with the announcement that you were now on the transpacific to Australia!

You're falling off your "A" game, dude. ??

Hope you had a safe flight home and that all's well. Can't wait to see the remaining pics!