Southern Caribbean - best ship for it?

cjappert

We are currently booked on Anthem of the seas for a 12 night southern Caribbean. Other ships available for this are Serenade and Grandeur. Which ship is best for a long cruise like this? Our kids are 8, 3 and almost 2.

Plus if anyone has done Southern Caribbean please give me some tips/recommendations for excursions and stuff!

thanks!

My southern experience so far was on Jewel, with Adventure on tap for this Thanksgiving but in both cases I think it will be a very different experience than your plan.

Both mine involve flying to Peurto Rico and then doing a port intensive 7 nights with 5 stops. Sounds like you are coming out of New Jersey on Anthem so probably a much more sea day intensive cruise.

Based on our Jewel experience my advice would be to pace yourself, with ours its was port stops basically every day and then 1 sea day at the end. It was important to us to get off the boat at each port but definitely worth planning so that we had time to relax each day as well.

When are you going?  If before June or after August, I'd prepare for cool to cold weather the first couple of days at sea and the last couple of days at sea.  Old San Juan is great.  The beach/shopping set-up through the water taxi at St Marteen is really good.  Antigua has really cleaned up in the last 10 years.  Good beach at the Sandals.  St. Lucia has good beaches.  Barbados has good beaches on the west coast and is beautiful on the east coast.  I haven't been to St Kitts.

The one "issue" with Anthem is that you will have many more sea days on her, than a cruise leaving from somewhere more south.  Granted, that may result in less airfare money.  But some people have an aversion to a lot of sea days.