Cape liberty and NYC

PattiHere

It really depends on what you want to see in NYC.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Yotel in NYC.  Its reasonably priced, and if you get one of the king rooms (not the solo cabin, that thing is tiny!) its plenty of room to stay, enjoy NYC, and its fairly close to a lot of attractions but far enough away from things to not be noisy at night.  Its super techy with USB outlets pretty much everywhere, it has a smart TV, mood lighting around the TV.  The bathroom might be a little more "open" than some other restrooms, but I just find this place to be fun and funky and a great place to lay your head at night.

Best way in my opinion to get from Jersey into the city would be to take the train.  You can take the NJ Transit train from Newark Airport station to NYC for about 15 dollars per person.  New York Penn Station is super busy but outside there is a cab stand with proper metered cabs.  You can also call an Uber or Lyft if you so choose.  From penn station to the Yotel costs about 10 dollars.  

The concierge at the Yotel is awesome at suggesting how to get to some of your biggest attractions such as the statue of liberty, ground zero, the UN, Times Square, etc.  

We stayed at Doubletree Suites in Jersey City.  It was walking distance to the PATH which takes you directly into the city at the World Trade Center.  We took Uber/Lyft from Newark airport to the hotel and also from the hotel to the port on embarkation day.  The Doubletree had a mall as well as a grocery store all in walking distance so it was in an excellent location for everyone for our pre-cruise stay.