Royal Caribbean Makes Change After Receiving Feedback from Booked Guests !!!

Royal Caribbean has decided to discontinue their Dine Drink Discover program that was available on Oasis class cruise ships.
Due to feedback from booked guests after the announcement, Royal Caribbean has made a change.  Guests who were already booked in a neighborhood balcony stateroom will be able to keep the original package if they choose.

The cruise line sent out the following email to travel agents a few minutes ago letting them know about this change:

“This week we announced our decision to discontinue the DINE • DRINK • DISCOVER program, a collection of perks exclusive to Boardwalk Balcony and Central Park Balcony staterooms on Oasis Class ships. Along with this, we included the compensation we are offering to those impacted guests. Based on the recent sentiments and valuable feedback shared on this topic, we recognize we didn’t get this one quite right.

While some guests were pleased with the choice to convert the DINE • DRINK • DISCOVER amenities into an Onboard Credit to use at their discretion, others saw value in the tangible amenities included at the time of purchase. It is for this reason that we are now enabling impacted guests to choose the best option for their vacation experience. Choices include:

• $50 per stateroom Onboard Credit
  • Original DINE • DRINK • DISCOVER amenities determined by the category booked

This is eligible only to those guests booked before September 18th, 2019 on sailings departing on-or-after January 1st, 2020. Both you and your impacted clients will receive an email with an enclosed questionnaire allowing your client to select their compensation preference. We ask that you please encourage your clients to submit their preference by October 4th, 2019.

As always, nothing is of more value to us than our partnership with our travel partners and our guests’ experiences. We greatly appreciate you every step of the way!

25 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Once again, pressure in the court of public opinion turned this around to a much better outcome, and honestly I think this new approach of offering a choice is how they should have done it from the get-go.

It was their original plan, but the intern only typed in the information about the $50 OBC.

They could have just made the overall change effective for cruises starting in May 2021 since  those itineraries aren't even available to book yet and avoided this whole debacle. I am assuming I will have an email tonight or tomorrow showing that they are giving me an option for my BW balcony on Symphony in April 2021.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I think this new approach of offering a choice is how they should have done it from the get-go.

I completely disagree....it should have NEVER come to this. Royal should have simply honored the booking for those booked before the announcement & discontinued the perk from that point on, from further booking.

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Once again, pressure in the court of public opinion turned this around to a much better outcome, and honestly I think this new approach of offering a choice is how they should have done it from the get-go.

I am glad they are now offering a choice to those who were booked before the changed started.  I 100% agree this is how it should have been handled to start with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Veronica said:

I have not received an email, what do I do?

Hi Veronica!

Assuming you booked your cruise before the policy change, I would contact your travel agent (if applicable) or call Royal.

We too never got the e-mail last year, but the travel agency did and contacted Royal for us... we elected to keep the Central Park balcony perks for our cruise next year on Symphony.

The letter did state that if you did not respond by the deadline that it would default to a $50 OBC.

3 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

We sailed Harmony over New Years with a Central Park balcony and were never offered this perk.

They made the announcement in September. Depending on when you booked, that may have contributed: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/09/21/royal-caribbean-extends-oasis-class-neighborhood-balcony-compensation-offer

I booked in october 2019 for march 2020.  So apparently I get nothing.  AND they had the gall tot tell me that I could not possibly have seen or booked with boardwalk balcony perks after sep 18 as it was off their website!.  Well it was on their website and I could not of even think to make that up!.  I cannot be the only person that saw this!  After an hour of arguing.  They gave me a 50 on board credit.  Wow!  Rc has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.  I have cruised with 3 other lines and was so excited to try this cruise and I am already disappointed with service!