Cabin crawl and Parties for SC

Sending an SOS to @WAAAYTOOO to some serious help with questions on cabin crawl and parties in SC.  I would really like to do a cabin crawl, but I don't think one is set up.  (possibly I am not looking in the right area) . I am under the impression that I can order food and beer that will be no charge, but wine and liquor will come at a cost?  I am 71 days out so I am not sure who my genie is.  We are also celebrating my dad's birthday on the ship.  Can the genie throw a birthday party too?  HELP ME!!!

My favorite topic !!

Very often, if you want a cabin crawl, you have to be the one to set up the cabin crawl.  This has been the case for almost every one that I have done.  You still have plenty of time to do this but you will need to get started pretty soon.

I always organized my CC through the CC Roll Call (sorry for all the CC's).  I know that many people are doing this through Facebook these days but I do not have or use FB so I cannot help you there.  I can't imagine that it would be any different through FB than it would be through CC.

If you create and organize the CC yourself, you will need to start tracking who is coming and whether or not they are going to be just gawkers...I mean, viewers, if they are also going to be show-ers and a basic head count.  A simple spreadsheet has always worked for me. I will usually ask the people who want to participate if they will provide their stateroom category and, if they are willing, their stateroom number.  Some people are concerned about advertising their particular room number (which I think it paranoia, but that's just me).  The most successful CC are those that offer the opportunity to view the largest variety of cabin categories.  Things like accessible cabins, suites with no balconies (a rather new category for Royal) and the virtual balcony rooms are all ones that attract a lot of attention, not just the big suites.

It has been my experience that once people realize that someone in a SC suite is participating in the CC, the interest usually picks up.  People like to visit the high end suites.  It's just normal human nature and curiosity.  I normally do not disclose the details of the "party" but simply allude to the fact that there will be a surprise when they arrive.  That helps sell the event.  Something that I have failed to mention in any of my recent CC party descriptions is that I usually (but not always) bring a "parting gift" for those who visit during the CC.  Refrigerator magnets is something super easy to buy and give away.  It doesn't have to be fancy.

What the Genie can do:

- Order all of the party stuff - food, beer, water, anything to drink except for wine and liquor.  The food will be from 1 or perhaps 2 (at most) specialty restaurants.  Choose one and go with it.

- Coordinate with housekeeping to have all of the dishes, glasses, etc. delivered and picked up

- Both of these first 2 can be done with $-0- expense.

- Arrange for a server and/or bartender

- Order wine and liquor

- These last 2 will cost you.  If you want any of these $$ items the Genie can let you know how much it will cost.  We got 4 bottles of champagne (certainly NOT champagne....sparkling wine, at best) and the total bill was ~ $80.  It's very reasonable unless you start ordering Dom Perignon or something.  I never EVER order liquor.  That IS expensive.

Here's what the Genie can NOT do:

- Order food from lots of different specialty restaurants.  It's simply a question of logistics.  If you want your food ready and delivered at the same time, choosing 3 or 4 different venues is going to complicate that request immeasurably.  They will not do it.  Don't even ask.

- Be at your party to help entertain your guests !  No way.  The Genie is an assistant, not a manservant (no sexism or racism implied there....).  The Genie will help coordinate everything and will come by at some point to make sure everything is going smoothly, but they do not stay, and they do not participate.

I'm going to skip a lot of details as I just went through this on another thread.  If you have specific questions, I will do my best to answer.

- The Genie will handle food

- Room Service will handle dishes, glasses, silverware and napkins (but the Genie will coordinate with room service for all of this)

- Your room attendant will get you ice.  It is advisable to let your room attendant know ASAP that you are going to need an ice chest full of ice EARLY the day of the party.  You will need to allow the beer and whatever else you are serving cold, to cool down.  Nothing worse than serving your guests warm beer but that takes time.  Don't wait until the last minute on this one.

One last piece of advice.  Don't forget that there are others who are showing their rooms as well.  Try not to steal ALL of the attention.  That's why it's really so important that the other cabins go first and you are at the end.  Once people get to your room and start looking around, eating, drinking, they are pretty much done.  It's VERY hard to get that crowd moving again once the party starts.

The Genie should reach out to you at around 60 days prior to sail date.  It's generally a good idea to let them know right away that you are planning to have a party...but be sure that they understand that this is going to be a NO COST party.  I have done 4 or 5 of these and I have never had the Genie ever offer to arrange anything that would cost extra but I have read recently that some of the Genies have offered $$ services.  That's not what you want...I don't think.

59 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Be at your party to help entertain your guests !  No way.  The Genie is an assistant, not a manservant (no sexism or racism implied there....).  The Genie will help coordinate everything and will come by at some point to make sure everything is going smoothly, but they do not stay, and they do not participate.

That is the general consensus that I have heard as well...unless your Genie is Shane.  He set the bar pretty high when he stayed at @betatke1480's party, handed out pre-printed menus, and mingled and chatted with all of us.  I was so impressed.  He was there pretty much the entire time!  Such an awesome guy!

I think these cabin crawls are a good way to sell the suites and Star Class experience, so I hope Royal takes that into consideration when they allow their Genies to set up good experiences like Shane did.  That would be my approach in the "ask" but I have seen Genies be accommodating for even just large family groups with some non-SC members mixed in. Let the Genie know about the party for your dad as well and what you would want or expect.  They should arrange a personalized cake but you need to tell them how else you'd like to celebrate -- specialty dinner served in your suite?  A small gathering with all members of your sailing party?  Or if you want to be surprised let the Genie run with it completely -- but if you don't ask for something you can't really just expect it to happen.  Genies are good but they aren't mind readers (most of the time!)