Daughter bringing a friend

BigBrust

Thank you all so much for answering my previous questions.  I have another one.  We are taking my daughter and her friend for my daughter's Sweet 16 on the Anthem November 2nd.  Do I need to have a letter from her friends parents saying they are aware that she is on a cruise with us?  I remember reading somewhere that someone was given a hard time because there was no permission/letter from the other parents.  I don't want to not have one and have complications at the terminal.

Thank you again!

If you travel with someone under 18 for whom you are neither parent nor legal guardian, you must have documentation that they are permitted to travel with you. This is true for grandparents taking a trip with grandchildren but not the sandwich generation as well as for your situation.

Best to have it signed by both parents and notarized.

Yes!  We even had issues when one parent was taking children to Canada and had to have a letter signed by the other parent to acknowledge that they were aware and approved.  Also a good idea to have some sort of form for medical treatment and her insurance card. I send this with my children when they just spend the summer in a different state with Grandparents!  All of this should be notarized.  I will tell you that when we cruised with DCL that I also had to sign a waiver for my minor child to leave the ship with anyone other than the parent/guardian (even if with cruise staff). 

A notarized letter stating the ship, itinerary, dates along with permission to sign waivers for activities and give permission for medical treatment is REQUIRED.  If the child's parents are divorced, it is best that both sign although I believe only one is required. We did this in June when we took our grandson. They asked for it and made a copy at checkin.

What if I’m traveling with a minor and I’m not their parent or legal guardian?

A

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original, notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s) authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child, and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered, if needed.

This is necessary even when the adult traveling is part of the child’s extended family (i.e. aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc). To make it easy for you, we have a sample letter you can use. The letter can be downloaded here.

DOWNLOAD THE FORM

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, sherdawgg said:

Hi. I am also taking my daughter and her friend on a cruise in January. I have the notarized permission letter from the mom. However, the mom has remarried and has a different last name than the child. Is this going to cause a problem?

In my case in this scenario I bought a copy of the court order that gave the mother sole custody as well as the notarized letter.  

My advice is bring as much paperwork as you can but offer none of it unless requested.  Walk up to the check in agent, hand over passports and setsail papers but don't say anything unless they ask.  

On 9/20/2019 at 11:50 AM, BigBrust said:

Thank you all so much for answering my previous questions.  I have another one.  We are taking my daughter and her friend for my daughter's Sweet 16 on the Anthem November 2nd.  Do I need to have a letter from her friends parents saying they are aware that she is on a cruise with us?  I remember reading somewhere that someone was given a hard time because there was no permission/letter from the other parents.  I don't want to not have one and have complications at the terminal.

Thank you again!

Here is the information you will need....

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-am-traveling-with-a-minor-and-i-am-not-their-parent-legal-guardian