Cruising with mobility issues (bathrooms)

guittech

Hey Cruisers, I am like a ghost, i dissapear until the next cruise emergency comes along!  SO SORRY! I will endeavor to be a better community member.

Next cruise is in a month on Canadian Thanksgiving

Last year when we cruised, a week or so before we left, my wife was diagnosed with gall bladder issues, and as such had to have a MASSIVELY restricted diet, the guest services department was a godsend

This year, she decided it would be a good idea to rupture her Patellar AND Quad tendons in the same knee, a month before we cruise.  We don't have cancellation insurance (on multiple hotels stays, flights and the cruise) so we are going as long as the doctor okays it.  

I got ahold of the RC guest services team again, but sadly, this time they kinda just said "We have no accessible rooms, maybe try calling every few days"  Which I understand, but really?  No wait list or anything?   I am not looking for a free upgrade, but my wife will most likely spend most of her time in a wheelchair for this cruise,  Having to use crutches to go in and out of the room is fine (We are renting a collapsible wheelchair) but she is worried about using washrooms.  

Does anyone have experience with using small cruise washrooms with mobility issues?  She is tall (6 feet and very long legs) and has a full leg immobilizer.  there is good chance she will not be able to bend her knee at all. any other tall folks deal with this onboard?

Also, any helpful tips for dealing with mobility issues onboard in a chair?  I am suspecting we should change our dining from "my time" to a set time so that we have a simple accessible spot. (my experience with non set time dining seemed a little busier and more chaotic overall, but maybe that was just on the Anthem)

Thanks in advance Cruise pals!

Dave & Cara

I'm 6'3" and have mobility issues in the form of one foot being fused / having no ROM, and the leg that foot's attached to being a good inch shorter than the other thanks to the multiple fusion surgeries. Basically means I'm always taking my showers with that leg locked straight to just try and balance with the other one bent all the time. I also have to lead with the "good" leg while keeping the other one locked, both getting in and out of the shower. 

On the "starship transporter" style shower capsules, getting in and out was totally manageable since it's basically zero step-in height. Same with taking the shower, thanks to the fact the shower head can be removed and used as a hand-shower. Now, I can still move my knee in that leg and I was probably doing at least some of that while turning around and what-not, but not all that much; your wife should be ok in her brace.

If you happened to get a JS cabin with a larger stall shower and separate or no tub, those have a bit of step-in height to deal with that might be difficult with one leg in a brace, but are definitely easier to move around once inside.

1 hour ago, guittech said:

Hey Cruisers, I am like a ghost, i dissapear until the next cruise emergency comes along!  SO SORRY! I will endeavor to be a better community member.

Next cruise is in a month on Canadian Thanksgiving

Last year when we cruised, a week or so before we left, my wife was diagnosed with gall bladder issues, and as such had to have a MASSIVELY restricted diet, the guest services department was a godsend

This year, she decided it would be a good idea to rupture her Patellar AND Quad tendons in the same knee, a month before we cruise.  We don't have cancellation insurance (on multiple hotels stays, flights and the cruise) so we are going as long as the doctor okays it.  

I got ahold of the RC guest services team again, but sadly, this time they kinda just said "We have no accessible rooms, maybe try calling every few days"  Which I understand, but really?  No wait list or anything?   I am not looking for a free upgrade, but my wife will most likely spend most of her time in a wheelchair for this cruise,  Having to use crutches to go in and out of the room is fine (We are renting a collapsible wheelchair) but she is worried about using washrooms.  

Does anyone have experience with using small cruise washrooms with mobility issues?  She is tall (6 feet and very long legs) and has a full leg immobilizer.  there is good chance she will not be able to bend her knee at all. any other tall folks deal with this onboard?

Also, any helpful tips for dealing with mobility issues onboard in a chair?  I am suspecting we should change our dining from "my time" to a set time so that we have a simple accessible spot. (my experience with non set time dining seemed a little busier and more chaotic overall, but maybe that was just on the Anthem)

Thanks in advance Cruise pals!

Dave & Cara

DD is handicapped (Cerebral Palsy) & we use a wheelchair when we cruise because it is safer for her, & faster for us (she can walk, but has poor balance, so crowds are dangerous and is very slow). She is not very tall(5'1") so I can't speak to the height issue.  For safety's sake, we ask for a shower chair for the shower stall, this might help your wife so that she doesn't have to balance.  Also, while we didn't use this, there is also the option of a toilet seat riser, which is basically something that's about 6-8 inches high (I think, don't quote me on that) that sits on top of the seat & makes it easier for those who need extra leverage for sitting/standing from the toilet.  Just fill out the special needs form 

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

You can specify what things you might need.  

Also, you don't mention which ship you are on, but find out if there are any family restrooms, in case she will need assistance while you are not in your cabin -- even using the handicap stall can be a challenge, even when you are just the one assisting the person who needs it.

@guittech  you might want to also check out the Cruising with Wheels guys, Frank and Kevin...Frank is in a wheelchair and they have a youtube channel that has a slant particularly about mobility issues.... they are really funny too...    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdJZcTwRNLXmZKY-nc98rg   

It's funny how something like this can change your view of things.   I started checking if there were any "family" restrooms onboard, and I can find handicapped ones, but I don't know if they are single rooms or not. (as i may need to help her up)  I never considered this in the past, also watching a few "Cruising with wheels" videos confirmed that I should go with a set dining time and try to get a spot closer to the doors of the dining room.  Luckily she has me to push her around and move things, but what about someone with less mobility, or without a partner to muscle things around?   It has definitely opened both of us to the situation of people with mobility issues.

6 hours ago, guittech said:

It's funny how something like this can change your view of things.   I started checking if there were any "family" restrooms onboard, and I can find handicapped ones, but I don't know if they are single rooms or not. (as i may need to help her up)  I never considered this in the past, also watching a few "Cruising with wheels" videos confirmed that I should go with a set dining time and try to get a spot closer to the doors of the dining room.  Luckily she has me to push her around and move things, but what about someone with less mobility, or without a partner to muscle things around?   It has definitely opened both of us to the situation of people with mobility issues.

You will also find that most people will go out of their way to assist you (holding doors, letting you go first, etc) so just accept it with thanks, and pay it forward when you can. A few times, our last cruise, it was just the 2 of us going back to the cabin, and u also have mobility problems, and found that it was very difficult to open the cabin door enough to get her in -- it fit, but the doors are VERY heavy, the corridor is somewhat narrow, and it can be a challenge. A few times, I just asked people walking down our hallway to hold the door for me while I maneuvered her in.