Automatic Gratuity Breakdown

Neesa

@Matt & whomever else would be so kind to input please? I am interested in the automatic gratuity breakdown. I will pay 17.50 per day per person, how is that broken down? Head Server, Server, Assistant Server, Stateroom Host? I also surmise this is collected and shared with the "back of the ship" but this is a Thanksgiving (Holiday) sailing & believe cash would be a nicer option. When I dine landside even when using a credit card I always leave a cash gratuity and have been told time and time again the servers prefer this. I have no problem adding cash at the end to the automatic charge like other posters have offered, but I like to know the specifics. I appreciate your knowledge, thank you!

3 hours ago, Neesa said:

@Matt & whomever else would be so kind to input please? I am interested in the automatic gratuity breakdown. I will pay 17.50 per day per person, how is that broken down? Head Server, Server, Assistant Server, Stateroom Host? I also surmise this is collected and shared with the "back of the ship" but this is a Thanksgiving (Holiday) sailing & believe cash would be a nicer option. When I dine landside even when using a credit card I always leave a cash gratuity and have been told time and time again the servers prefer this. I have no problem adding cash at the end to the automatic charge like other posters have offered, but I like to know the specifics. I appreciate your knowledge, thank you!

I can give you an old break out which you can adjust.  Guest Services has a business card with the amounts.  At $13.50 per day non-suite (in 2018), Dining staff got $8.30 and State Room attendant got $5.20 per person.  So percentage-wise, just under 40% for the Stateroom Attendant and balance for Dining Staff.  The Waiter gets more than Assistant Waiter, but I don't have the breakdown.  Non-suite is now up to $14.50  As you know, suites are a little more, which is what I am guessing you have.

27 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Full disclosure:  I "stole" this from another site. It was posted about a year ago.

It was allegedly an excerpt from an email sent by Royal to a guest who asked about the breakdown.

1933110898_ScreenShot2019-09-20at9_45_49AM.thumb.png.c56edc9012649506d439d171af5f8bba.png

The listing of “other hotel services” is what causes me to cancel the auto gratuity. I can’t imagine who else in “hotel services” I would tip. 

Just now, TXcruzer said:

The listing of “other hotel services” is what causes me to cancel the auto gratuity. I can’t imagine who else in “hotel services” I would tip. 

These are people like the laundry room folks and the maintenance crews.  They have no chance to make any tips directly.  Whether you agree that they deserve a small sliver of the pie or not, that's who is getting the other part of this pie.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

These are people like the laundry room folks and the maintenance crews.  They have no chance to make any tips directly.  Whether you agree that they deserve a small sliver of the pie or not, that's who is getting the other part of this pie.

Then it isn’t a gratuity, it’s “salary subsidization” 

34 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Full disclosure:  I "stole" this from another site. It was posted about a year ago.

It was allegedly an excerpt from an email sent by Royal to a guest who asked about the breakdown.

1933110898_ScreenShot2019-09-20at9_45_49AM.thumb.png.c56edc9012649506d439d171af5f8bba.png

Does the beverage staff fall under "other Hotel Services," or do they only share gratuities from beverage packages?

4 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I think it's really a matter of semantics. Call it what you want, whether it's a "gratuity" or " salary subsidization",  as long as the hard working crew is compensated fairly, I'm all good with it.  I always tip above and beyond when I see fit, which is almost always. Being that everybody gets an equal share of the gratuity pie, this isn't always equitable. There are always some that should get more and others less. I want to let those, who deserve more,  know that I appreciate service above and beyond.

10 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Actually, all gratuities are for total compensation, it is just our culture to pretend to "pay for performance".  In the US employers pay less than minimum wage because state law in some places allows them to count projected tips as part of their basic pay.....So, yes, we all need to tip but we are free to choose the amount.  I've found members of this blog to be on the generous side and support whatever they choose to do.

7 minutes ago, packercruising said:

No more than tipping your waiter/waitress at a restaurant back home. 

And I generously tip my waiter/waitress and my room attendant just like I do “at home” 

I don’t tip the maintenance man nor the laundry staff “at home” and choose not to while cruising. I consider clean linen, dishes, and operational functionality to be covered in full by my cruise fare. 

16 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Just a different model for salary compensation. In a lot of European restaurants gratuity is added automatically or the service cost is just rolled into the menu cost. Of course here in the states, we leave it up to the consumer to set the appropriate rate of service compensation, though most restaurants charge at least an 18% gratuity for parties over 8. Why? To protect the servers from those that would tip $10 on a $300 check. I know, I've seen it. Which is fair? Which is right?  

2 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

And I generously tip my waiter/waitress and my room attendant just like I do “at home” 

I don’t tip the maintenance man nor the laundry staff “at home” and choose not to while cruising. I consider clean linen, dishes, and operational functionality to be covered in full by my cruise fare. 

Same reason you tip your server at a restaurant and not the cook. Although, the cook may have more of an impact on your meal than your server.  Just the way it is.

11 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

In the US employers pay less than minimum wage because state law in some places allows them to count projected tips as part of their basic pay.....

I have always hated this concept of tipping where servers are paid less than they deserve.  For me, the tip is a goodwill gesture for a job well done.  Why don't restaurants pay their waiters right?  I don't care if they add some amount to my order to be able to do that.  But to underpay the waitstaff and pass on the responsibility of "completing" their pay to customers is something I will never understand.

Just now, RatedPG said:

I have always hated this concept of tipping where servers are paid less than they deserve.  For me, the tip is a goodwill gesture for a job well done.  Why don't restaurants pay their waiters right?  I don't care if they add some amount to my order to be able to do that.  But to underpay the waitstaff and pass on the responsibility of "completing" their pay to customers is something I will never understand.

This concept has actually started with some in the industry, where it states on the menu, that prices have being increased by X% to compensate service staff. I think the general public would be skeptical as to whether the servers where receiving all that's due to them.

Being a server is not an easy job, as any of you that work with the public know. But, if that's what they choose to do as a job or career, who have to take the good with the bad. You're going to get "stiffed" some times and other times get tipped 50%. You can only hope it all averages out in the long run.

3 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

How many here wouldn't mind that the menu prices are higher knowing that their waiters are being paid properly?

I would be all for it and I'm in the industry. I'd be all for it for everything. I want to know what the final price is. What's it going to cost me? Don't give me a price and then add tax, and gratuities and this and that. 

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

That being said, I would still tip nicely for either for good service and not for bad service so...

Same here.  I don't care if I already paid more at a restaurant that is giving their waitstaff the minimum wage, I will still tip well for good service and feel good about it.

2 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I guess its a little different  here in Canada..min wage for everyone...close to $30,000 a year....so tips aren't as big a deal as someone making $3 or $5 an hr serving in the US

That being said, I would still tip nicely for either for good service and not for bad service so...

I agree. My example is really the extreme, but does happen. Even when service has been poor, I don't leave less than 15%. I also know enough to determine whether the tip deserved is service rather than food related. I've seen people not tip because they didn't like their food. The servers fault? Probably not, but they are the ones to suffer.

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

I would be all for it and I'm in the industry. I'd be all for it for everything. I want to know what the final price is. What's it going to cost me? Don't give me a price and then add tax, and gratuities and this and that. 

I loved it when I was in Madrid last Spring.  The waiters didn't expect any tips other than the loose change I got.  It was stress-free dining for me!

Just now, RatedPG said:

I loved it when I was in Madrid last Spring.  The waiters didn't expect any tips other than the loose change I got.  It was stress-free dining for me!

That will have to be something I need to get used to when we are in Italy, Montenegro and Greece next year.