Barf Bags .....

ChrisK2793

Currently on Symphony, we’ve had beautiful weather today, but the ship has been vibrating here and there ....... seems to be getting a lot more bouncy and rocky tonight and they have barf bags up all over now.  I hope we have good weather for Cococay tomorrow.

1E5D86F2-5441-4DB4-87EB-FC674B693772.jpeg

I remember seeing them put out the bags on Independence a few years back going across the Bay of Biscay.

It was a very rough crossing and the ship rocked a good bit. For me it was grand, it was late at night and I had (quite) a few drinks in me so was actually able to walk in a straight line :)

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Lots of swells from the hurricanes that have passed through and that are going to be passing through I am guessing?

FWIW, James Van Fleet commented on the effect of hurricanes which surprised me...

When asked if seas are rougher during hurricane season, James notes that there’s no need to worry: “That’s actually a myth. In fact, the high-pressure, humid temperatures associated with hurricane season settle the seas. The Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico are all much calmer in the summer than they are in the winter.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

FWIW, James Van Fleet commented on the effect of hurricanes which surprised me...

The seas near the storms are still a little bit rougher but overall seas will be calmer because the hurricanes suck up all the ocean's energy into a more concentrated area.  I've noticed a huge difference between nearly still seas during hurricane season and choppy seas in the winter.

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Van Fleet's comment is correct that the hurricane season is generally characterized by high pressure and calmer seas, but his comments don't address the effects of the storms themselves which can really churn up the seas.  The National Hurricane Center has had large swell warnings up for the Bahamas, Bermuda and parts of the southeast coast USA on a fairly regular basis during the past several weeks due to the series of storms that have track through the vicinity.  If you go here and click on the North Atlantic region, you can see the effects of the recent storm:

https://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Symphony is likely expecting to encounter swells from hurricane Jerry.

Yeah..we are getting warnings here of sea swells hitting the coast from the hurricane past and potentially the one on the way....defn having effet oo the Atlantic seaboard.

While the forecast track has the centre of Humberto continuing to move away from Bermuda -- with all of the watches and warnings discontinued -- the U.S. National Hurricane Centre (NHC) warns that a prolonged period of dangerous winds and large swells could still lead to coastal flooding and further damage leading to the end of the week.

11 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Yeah..we are getting warnings here of sea swells hitting the coast from the hurricane past and potentially the one on the way....defn having effet oo the Atlantic seaboard.

While the forecast track has the centre of Humberto continuing to move away from Bermuda -- with all of the watches and warnings discontinued -- the U.S. National Hurricane Centre (NHC) warns that a prolonged period of dangerous winds and large swells could still lead to coastal flooding and further damage leading to the end of the week.

One of the downsides of living near the coast. I think most people would trade that for the others benefits of coastal living.