Eat....Drink.....Discover..... Being discontinued

monctonguy

53 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Price is why I went CP balcony for my upcoming sailing.  It was cheaper than an inside or ocean view room with the balcony discount.  I would rather have the $50 OBC than the wine I won't drink and the free lunch as I already have the Ultimate Dining Package.

Without the perks these balconies are likely going to remain cheap alternatives to insides as they don't have the incentives to help sell them any longer.

Yes, we get the discount for balcony because we are diamond members. However, at that time of booking RCI advertise that this perks included with this type of balcony that why we choose this Boardwalk Balcony. If we were known that they will take away the perks then I will choose the ocean view Balcony. Yes, I have to pay more but it is not much more at that time I booked. Right now, if I want to change the room I will have to pay way more because the price right now is way more that when I booked it. I cannot cancel because RCI will take my non refundable deposit. Deadlock.

35 minutes ago, Susie said:

Yes, we get the discount for balcony because we are diamond members. However, at that time of booking RCI advertise that this perks included with this type of balcony that why we choose this Boardwalk Balcony. If we were known that they will take away the perks then I will choose the ocean view Balcony. Yes, I have to pay more but it is not much more at that time I booked. Right now, if I want to change the room I will have to pay way more because the price right now is way more that when I booked it. I cannot cancel because RCI will take my non refundable deposit. Deadlock.

Another way around this is to call your credit card company and see what avenue's they have.  Usually, if it's not  something you "originally" purchased, the credit card company will call the vendor  and dispute the charge since the "original" purchase was altered. I know Chase does this very well.

13 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Another way around this is to call your credit card company and see what avenue's they have.  Usually, if it's not  something you "originally" purchased, the credit card company will call the vendor  and dispute the charge since the "original" purchase was altered. I know Chase does this very well.

This is a very good point, the Credit Card company really hates when companies "steal" from their customers.  RCL will have to prove that those perks were not part of your cruise stateroom you chose which will never happen.  Likely they will not respond at all to the Credit Card inquiry which means the card company will refund you and hold funds from RCL.

I might have missed this along the way, but what was the reasoning for offering the perks in the first place? I'm assuming it was to entice people to book those cabins, but aren't those fairly desirable cabins to begin with? Sure seems to beat any inside cabin.

I totally agree with you @monctonguy. RC has the right to change whatever and whenever, but they should honor those commitments. Those cabins were purchased in good faith and should be honored as such.

1 minute ago, WannabeViking said:

Actually needing a lawyer isn’t always the case. Sometimes having the power the word on social media, and many people posting the same complaints can be enough. 

It's going to cost them more in bad pub, than to just honor the existing bookings.

I sent message to RCI Facebook and this what there reply

Me: OK I have 2 booking with RCI one with Symphony which will be in 24 days and Oasis of the Seas in August 2020. Just find down that my Oasis room perk will be removed. Why? I booked when it was included and that is one of the reason we book this room Boardwalk Balcony for the Soda package. I need your explanations. 

RCI: I'm very sorry for any disappointment this has caused, Susie. We're always re-evaluating our offerings and after reviewing feedback from our guests, we’ve made the decision to discontinue this program. Many guests weren’t even using the features, as they have other items they selected that overlapped with the few benefits. Since you booked this stateroom on Oasis before we made this announcement today, we'll be issuing you a $50.00 onboard credit as a gesture of goodwill. -Yami

Me: The soda package for 2 people is around $140 and not even include other perks we supposed to receive burgers meal for 4 at JR and rock climbing wall session. This is false advertisement. Wow $50 not even enough to pay for one Soda package.

RCI: I understand where you're coming from. Please know it wasn't our intention to make you feel this way.

Me: This room cost more than window view so I I were know that will not include perks I will just book Ocean view stateroom.

RCI: You can definitely change your stateroom. Please keep in mind, it'll be at the prevailing rate.

Me:  Funny when I booked the price of every staterooms was cheaper. If RCI can give me the price shown the date I booked then I will change. Why don't stop giving the perk today the announcement come out. At the time of booking, RCI offered the room with perks.

RCI: Unfortunately, we won't be honoring any previous rates. I'm really sorry about that.

I did not go further at that point because I really upset and might regret for what I will send.

I also sent this to them through my facebook message

I cant' find anywhere in the "Cruise Ticket Contract" that permits RCI to do this.  RCI can change the itinerary without notice but that's about it.  The Dine - Drink - Discover flyer has no expiration date and just mentions that the itinerary could change.  RCI can change my accommodations or cancel activities or confine me to a stateroom, but that's only if I am thought to be a danger, security risk or be detrimental to myself or the health, welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others.  But it still doesn't say that RCI can cancel my package that what included with my original booking. At that time of my booking in July the contract stated my stateroom includes Eat, Drink & Discover experience. The contract has been breached by RCI. I suggest RCI to contact your regal department again for this matter. 

(I actually got the quote above from CC. ) I not capable to write this kind of fancy message but I think this message might wake RCI up a little.

16050977_DINE_DRINK_DISCOVER_Trade_Flyer.pdf

I called RCCL. Their rationale is that since this was a "complimentary amenity," they can remove it with no harm.

This is logic of the worst bent, as you can call it whatever you want, but the value goes into the choice to purchase and forms a contract.

They bumped my credit from $50 to $100 and then said they would do no more. The value here is roughly $190 ($75 x 2 for beverages, and $10 x 4 for JR). I have a call with an exec scheduled (they said I'd get a call back within 24 hours) to discuss the removal of the further $90 in value.

This is a situation where those who are directly affected need to call. You need to tell them, and here are some specific words: "but not for this offer, I would have booked differently or perhaps not at all. I realize I can change my booking, but at prevailing rate, as RCCL mandates, that price is higher. I expect RCCL to honor the agreement as contracted."

When I specifically stated that RCCL is breaking its promise, the person I spoke to was at a loss for words. I can tell that their reps are taking some heat for this. Good.

6 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I would lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the "misunderstanding".

RCCL's current position is that since the package is "complimentary," removing it causes no harm.

As I'm sure you're aware, this is akin to an appliance store offering a "free extended warranty" with any purchase, and then removing that offer after purchase because, since it was "free," there's no harm in its removal. Too clever by half ?

I have a callback requested - they would not bump me up the chain. 

May I ask for the name and number of the "supervisor" with whom you spoke?

10 minutes ago, Dogberry said:

RCCL's current position is that since the package is "complimentary," removing it causes no harm.

As I'm sure you're aware, this is akin to an appliance store offering a "free extended warranty" with any purchase, and then removing that offer after purchase because, since it was "free," there's no harm in its removal. Too clever by half ?

I have a callback requested - they would not bump me up the chain. 

May I ask for the name and number of the "supervisor" with whom you spoke?

I was transferred to a Supervisor by the CSR. I did not call her directly. Inasmuch, any incentive, whether complimentary or purchased, included with any contract must be honored as it is included in the "initial" purchase. Once that contract is changed in any form without written consent by ALL parties deviates from it's original agreement rendering a breached contract by the moving party.  Hence, when I called, I knew which buttons to push and received the outcome that I wanted. I guess when they called my office, they knew I was not playing.

47 minutes ago, Susie said:

RCI: ... Many guests weren’t even using the features, as they have other items they selected that overlapped with the few benefits.

If previous guests were not using the features, that means Royal made some "savings" in the past.  All the more reason why they should honor their commitments to those who have booked with the perks in place.  How much would it cost them to use some more of that soda syrup and buns and hotdogs just to keep their target market happy?

I also am awaiting a response, even though yesterday they gave me $100 OBC after I initially complained; perhaps at my own peril I went back today and said I'm sorry, that just wasn't good enough when I take a step back and see what was removed vs. what was given. I also pointed out this was an illegal contract change, and at that point customer service actually stopped responding to me and I've yet to hear anything back at all in over 2 hours. It's gone beyond the mistreatment of the benefit into complete mistreatment by customer service as well. Now I'll be going after much more than my $90.

12 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

I'm waiting for this scam to get the media's attention!

Me too. I really hope the media pick this up and show it nation wide so people knows about this scam. 

I tell you I felt really sick in my stomach, not because I lost the benefit for what I paid for but because I expected more from the cruise company that I love and sailed with them for 19 years. It possible cost them a real $1/day pp for those Soda packages. 

A few days ago I was so excite that I will be on Symphony OTS in 24 days. Now I felt betrayal by Royal with my future cruise on Oasis. It ruin my excitement.

They made a mistake in July and they owned it.  Now this new issue is not even a mistake, it is a deliberate action on their part to take away what's on a contract they agreed to when guests made their bookings.  I so want to make a sign that says, "ROYAL, THIS ROUND'S ON YOU TOO!!!"

66268870_10115537107299241_7080513944078516224_n.thumb.jpg.05cb134be1355a1ed3901ef1e799650e.jpg

1 hour ago, Dogberry said:

Their rationale is that since this was a "complimentary amenity," they can remove it with no harm.

Their rationale is that since this was a "complimentary amenity," they can remove it with no harm.

MDR, Sorrentos, El Loco Fresh, Windjammer, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Dog House are all complimentary amenities, wonder when they start chopping these and charging?

Broadway shows, Comedy, Ice Shows, Headliner are all complimentary amenities today, will they be chopped too?

1 hour ago, marti314 said:

MDR, Sorrentos, El Loco Fresh, Windjammer, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Dog House are all complimentary amenities, wonder when they start chopping these and charging?

Broadway shows, Comedy, Ice Shows, Headliner are all complimentary amenities today, will they be chopped too?

They should actually not use the word "complimentary" for the things they offer on the cruise.  We paid for all that!  It's not very catchy but the word to use is "included". 

I took the route of trying to let my TA handle it so I don’t explode on CS rep that didn’t make this decision to drop what I have already paid for. Our TA said she was totally unaware the change had happened and thanked me for letting her know. She agrees it is not right of them to do it.

If that avenue  gets me no where, I will be calling RC and just asking straight for the supervisor.

Just called Royal Caribbean but they won’t even give me the 100 dollar credit some people have recieved as  compensation. They said they couldn’t do anything about it. They are just giving the 50 dollars . I asked to speak with a supervisor but the representative told me he will give me the same answer. So mad

7 hours ago, Susie said:

I sent message to RCI Facebook and this what there reply

Me: OK I have 2 booking with RCI one with Symphony which will be in 24 days and Oasis of the Seas in August 2020. Just find down that my Oasis room perk will be removed. Why? I booked when it was included and that is one of the reason we book this room Boardwalk Balcony for the Soda package. I need your explanations. 

RCI: I'm very sorry for any disappointment this has caused, Susie. We're always re-evaluating our offerings and after reviewing feedback from our guests, we’ve made the decision to discontinue this program. Many guests weren’t even using the features, as they have other items they selected that overlapped with the few benefits. Since you booked this stateroom on Oasis before we made this announcement today, we'll be issuing you a $50.00 onboard credit as a gesture of goodwill. -Yami

Me: The soda package for 2 people is around $140 and not even include other perks we supposed to receive burgers meal for 4 at JR and rock climbing wall session. This is false advertisement. Wow $50 not even enough to pay for one Soda package.

RCI: I understand where you're coming from. Please know it wasn't our intention to make you feel this way.

Me: This room cost more than window view so I I were know that will not include perks I will just book Ocean view stateroom.

RCI: You can definitely change your stateroom. Please keep in mind, it'll be at the prevailing rate.

Me:  Funny when I booked the price of every staterooms was cheaper. If RCI can give me the price shown the date I booked then I will change. Why don't stop giving the perk today the announcement come out. At the time of booking, RCI offered the room with perks.

RCI: Unfortunately, we won't be honoring any previous rates. I'm really sorry about that.

I did not go further at that point because I really upset and might regret for what I will send.

Alas we can commiserate... my sister spent over an hour on the phone...talked to 3 people in India which she could hardly understand...only to be told sorry contact your travel agent.  So then she had to email Michelle with MEI....and we are now in a holding pattern to hear if she had better luck.  At this point if RCCI posts any pics of Oasis on Instagram or FB, I am complaining on their feed :(

I have a boardwalk balcony booked for May 2020 on symphony... I can see their point about overlapping promos, and can even understand changing what their doing. I’m sailing just my two kids and myself and they don’t drink soda, and I got the drink package. We would have def used the Johnny rockets ... but I absolutely cannot understand how they change what people have already had has part of what they booked. I work retail and I can tell you if my company tried something like this all heck would break lose. I am going to call and complain on principle and to help in the cause ... good luck to all ... and may the force be with you ? 

7 hours ago, Newyorkjoe75 said:

I have a boardwalk balcony booked for May 2020 on symphony... I can see their point about overlapping promos, and can even understand changing what their doing. I’m sailing just my two kids and myself and they don’t drink soda, and I got the drink package. We would have def used the Johnny rockets ... but I absolutely cannot understand how they change what people have already had has part of what they booked. I work retail and I can tell you if my company tried something like this all heck would break lose. I am going to call and complain on principle and to help in the cause ... good luck to all ... and may the force be with you ? 

Perfect example !!!

Corporate decisions like these are why we left DCL! This has not even happened to me yet, I have 2 future sailings booked with RCCL and this is so disheartening. We are platinum on DCL and our last two sailings we truly felt they just stopped trying, every area was lacking and may I say boring. I communicated with my TA as well as corporate & their attitude was basically the same as you guys are experiencing here, I felt like they enjoyed with a smile our frustration with the bait & switch type tactics. We felt the monies could be better spent elsewhere but the emotions I experienced, the euphoric mindset that I loved (taking me away from the craziness of life) that was all but gone.....and they constantly smiled maybe smirked when the answer was policy, policy or just plain no. I have taken my cruise monies elsewhere (now RCCL) and I am sending crazy positive energy your way that RCCL does right by those that previously booked and reinstates the amenities. Good Luck fellow cruisers, I'm rooting for you!

Royal doesn't care about you as a customer...all they care about is $. Its become more and more obvious with them.

If ppl weren't using these perks..then they were making MORE money from the promo. They are full of BS.

This is the way most companies go once they get so big.....one customer or 10 doesn't mean anything to them anymore..too big too care.

Based on their rationale and justification, they could eliminate everything and anything they want at anytime..no more complimentary food.....it would save them money...watchout!

Good luck everyone!

I have 2 upcoming cruises. One in 22 days on Symphony and Oasis next yer in August. Oasis will the one RCI removed my perks. On Symphony, we will be in Ocean view Balcony. 

Marketing email from Royal, you know how it is. They will send many marketing emails everyday. Today I got really good price for DX + Voom for $58 pp. I actually plan to purchase this for my husband before we board but now for what happen. I will not let one penny more to RCI pocket. Everywhere we stop we just enjoy drinks there.