Eat....Drink.....Discover..... Being discontinued

monctonguy

So that's not really the bad thing...they can end any promo they want anytime. I get it.

Apparently, for those that have it booked..they are losing ALL the perks and getting a$50 OBC......are you kidding me? What a slap in the face from Royal.

I get it Royal..you aren't making enough from the package..or losing too much. But at least honor those who have booked it and many who have probably paid extra or booked those cabins to get the deal. Real cheap and low blow from Royal IMHO.

At first I agreed with your exact sentiment, so I reached out to RC support to let them know I was unhappy, and they doubled our OBC to $100 per room (we have 2 rooms booked). It helped soften the blow a little bit and I thought was a nice, courteous offer to help with the situation! I would recommend anyone else in the same situation give it a shot, can't hurt to try!

I was going to add to my original post that if I was affected by this, I defn would have been calling to voice my dissatisfaction with the policy and the compensation. $100 OBC is still probably  less than half of what the original perks are...

Shouldn't have had to call and ask/complain though....but that's the way business and society is now in general..if you don't complain or fight...you aren't even treated fairly, never mind given more.

Oh, I completely agree, what we lost is not made up for, and it was one of the reasons we booked that room type. So to not have it honored, definitely felt like an insult from them, and still does, but at least I was able to get a little something of it back. Sad that I had to, but it was better than what they could have told me I suppose! And honestly if not for this site, I wouldn't even have known it had happened. I received no communication from RCI about it at all, and it affected both reservations we had. 

It appears that this goes into effect on January 1, 2020. Luckily, I am booked in a central park balcony next month on Harmony and can still utilize these perks. It was one of the main reasons we booked this room. Originally, our cruise was booked for January, but we moved it up to October. After this cruise, I don't see any incentive for me to book a neighborhood balcony again.

We booked on Oasis Boardwalk balcony for August 2020. This is really mess up. Soda package for 2 alone is $140. Not even count on the the meal for 4 at JR and the rock climbing session. It should grandfather the one already booked before the date announcement come out. This is definitely false advertising. This is sad from loyal customer.

20 minutes ago, MelKaps said:

I don't see any incentive for me to book a neighborhood balcony again.

I agree with this sentiment. We stayed in a central park balcony on Symphony last March, and the perks were the only reason we chose the interior balcony over an ocean view. And we had to ASK for the perks - Our stateroom attendant didn't know anything about them!

We didn't like the lack of privacy (rooms directly across from you means constantly closing and opening curtains for privacy) and didn't use the balcony near as much as when we have had an ocean view balcony because, well, no ocean view. The view of central park was nice, but we spent more time physically in central park than on our balcony. 

Without the perks, I see more negatives than positives on those interior balconies. Will be interesting to see if something else to incentivize booking there is rolled out in 2020.

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Demand will drop and those cabins will become cheaper would be the only good to come of this...but time will tell.

These boardwalk/central park view staterooms are nothing but glorified interior cabins. Without the perks, they should cost just a little bit more than interior rooms.

Like @elizbit said, privacy is a major concern.  At least in an ocean view stateroom, the curtains can be left open most of the time.

The more I thought about it today, the more I can see the point of those that booked 2020 sailings and getting just $50 in lieu of the perks. Yes, $50 is better than nothing, but it would have been a better transition away from this if they just said "okay, everyone that booked as of today gets it and that's it."

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

The more I thought about it today, the more I can see the point of those that booked 2020 sailings and getting just $50 in lieu of the perks. Yes, $50 is better than nothing, but it would have been a better transition away from this if they just said "okay, everyone that booked as of today gets it and that's it."

Yes, agree 100%

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Has somebody done the math for how much the perks cost in total?

I'm sailing Harmony on Dec 29 so I guess I get the perks, barely.

I don't really care about the soda. I rarely drink soda anyway. It is pretty sad when you consider how much soda actually cost. The cup, the water, the gas and syrup cost restaurants literally pennies a serving. It is a tremendous money maker for fast food. They make it for a few pennies and sell it for dollars. Did you think "free refills" were nice? You could not drink enough to "get your monies worth." Several days of drinking soda probably cost RCCL a buck, maybe two per person. Imagine what they make ship wide with their prices.

2 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Has somebody done the math for how much the perks cost in total?

CP:  Specialty lunch for 2 at Johnny Rockets, Jamies/Giovonnis, or Sabor and a bottle of red wine.

BW:  Meal for 2 at Johnny Rockets and 2 soda packages.  

Math should be easy to compute at least for the lunches and soda package costs.

4 hours ago, Susie said:

We booked on Oasis Boardwalk balcony for August 2020. This is really mess up. Soda package for 2 alone is $140. Not even count on the the meal for 4 at JR and the rock climbing session. It should grandfather the one already booked before the date announcement come out. This is definitely false advertising. This is sad from loyal customer.

False advertising nothing new. The thing is if I go to make a new booking for Oasis Nov 2020 it still gives me the options to get these packages. And lets not talk about booking Voyager with Johnny Rockets still in the dining options even after I have seen the images of it being totally ripped out in the current so called Amplification.

And dont get me started on that Amp. 

The more I think about this the more it makes me angry. In fact I dont know how it is even legal. 

I think I will start up a new business selling apples for $500 but giving everyone who buys one a cmplimentary $1000 amazon gift card. Then the next day say sorry I have changed my policy, I will give you $1000 dollars worth of apples instead. (2)

Utter greed and contempt for what is decent.

This really hurts. We are booked on Oasis for June of 2020 in a boardwalk balcony. We choose this room in large part because it had the perks. How they can take it away AFTER we booked is incomprehensible. Those already booked should be grandfathered without question. It is absolutely false advertising. Not happy with Royal over this.

Soda package for 2 is $150 value , I’d estimate the dinner at JR to be $80 or more. To be offered just a $50 OBC is an insult. 

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

CP:  Specialty lunch for 2 at Johnny Rockets, Jamies/Giovonnis, or Sabor and a bottle of red wine.

BW:  Meal for 2 at Johnny Rockets and 2 soda packages.  

Math should be easy to compute at least for the lunches and soda package costs.

BW had 2 soda packages but meal for 4 at Johnny Rockets (which we never even used)

I cant understand how they can remove something that is included in the package you chose at the time of your purchase.   Can a pizza joint just remove some toppings as they see fit to make themselves more money?  Can a car dealership just replace the leather interior with cloth after you purchase?  

I understand in the cruise contract that ports are not guaranteed etc.....   Can they just change the MDR from included in cruise fare to 50.00 / day now since its technically "a perk" just like these were for the boardwalk balconies?

1 hour ago, marti314 said:

I cant understand how they can remove something that is included in the package you chose at the time of your purchase.   Can a pizza joint just remove some toppings as they see fit to make themselves more money?  Can a car dealership just replace the leather interior with cloth after you purchase?  

I understand in the cruise contract that ports are not guaranteed etc.....   Can they just change the MDR from included in cruise fare to 50.00 / day now since its technically "a perk" just like these were for the boardwalk balconies?

Bait and switch.

I  JUST GOT THERE EMAIL ARE THEY KIDDING I HAVE SEVEN CRUISE COMING UP WITH GRAND CHILDREN TEENS IN THERE OWN ROOM ON THE BOARDWALK PURCHASED FOR THAT PERK ITS ABOUT $200 PERK AND THEY ARE NOW GOING TO GIVE ME $50. AS A DIAMOND PLUS CUSTOMER THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE DISAPPOINTED. THEY SHOULD AT LEAST GRANDFATHER IN THOSE  WHO HAVE PURCHASED. IF FEELS ILLEGAL.    

12 hours ago, Matt said:

My initial response last night was ?‍♀️ but now I’ve slept on it, I’m annoyed.

ok I didn’t book because of the perks, but as I see it, they were included as part of the room details. And $50 isn’t near to the true value of them. 

As I’m in the EU, I’ve been trying to see if there’s something in that they needed to replace that part with equivalent or higher value but it’s tricky to navigate all the rules. (Plus I have a life....)

SOLUTION: If your original booking included said package prior to the change, RCCL must honor it since it is a contract. If RCCL does not honor it, the contract has been breached and at that point you can cancel your non-refundable booking and not be penalized. If they tell you different, they are bluffing.

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I would lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the "misunderstanding".

I don't think anyone should be subjected to this type of treatment. As a Diamond Plus or any level member, RCCL should not pull a fast one such as this and give their loyal passengers what they paid for.

Would RCCL like to be substituted for another cruise line? I don't think so!

25 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

SOLUTION: If your original booking included said package prior to the change, RCCL must honor it since it is a contract. If RCCL does not honor it, the contract has been breached and at that point you can cancel your non-refundable booking and not be penalized. If they tell you different, they are bluffing.

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I woukd lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone should be subjected to this type of treatment. As a Diamind Plus or any level member, RCCL should not pull a fast one such as this and give thier loyal passangers what they paid for.

Well done, there is no way this is legal.  Now to work on the rest of the false advertising.

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

Such as the case at bar, I have an OotS booking and threatened to cancel. The CSR stated I woukd lose my deposit. I informed her to show me where RCCL had sole discretion to change any part of the contract/booking except the itinerary. She could not. I told her to either honor it OR cancel it. She referred my issue to a Supervisor and after 20 mins back and forth with the Supervisor, she had to call me back after she speaks with her legal dept. I gave her my law firm name and office number and with the mention of legal class action for breach of contract, I received a callback and got my original booking honored with a complimentary bottle of wine for the misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone should be subjected to this type of treatment. As a Diamind Plus or any level member, RCCL should not pull a fast one such as this and give thier loyal passangers what they paid for.

Lucky you that you have a law firm to back you up. I do not have any lawyer so not sure I can do anything. I would join if someone will do a legal class action. It isn't much I lost but isn't right RCI does this. It is so wrong in every way.

I think I might stop cruising for awhile after this. I might just book land vacation instead. It takes more time and energy to prep but at least I don't need to deal with a greedy company.

3 minutes ago, Susie said:

Lucky you that you have a law firm to back you up. I do not have any lawyer so not sure I can do anything. I would join if someone will do a legal class action. It isn't much I lost but isn't right RCI does this. It is so wrong in every way.

I think I might stop cruising for awhile after this. I might just book land vacation instead. It takes more time and energy to prep but at least I don't need to deal with a greedy company.

Don't let this incident deter you from cruising. They're other cruise lines you can explore if you don't want to continue with RCCL.

I would price out what an interior room would cost now vs staying in the booked neighbourhood balcony and switch if the savings are there. 

Also, how are the prices for the neighbourhood balcony rooms Jan 2020 onwards?  I always figured the cost for those perks were built into the price.  So in theory, the prices should be dropping.

2 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

I would price out what an interior room would cost now vs staying in the booked neighbourhood balcony and switch if the savings are there. 

Also, how are the prices for the neighbourhood balcony rooms Jan 2020 onwards?  I always figured the cost for those perks were built into the price.  So in theory, the prices should be dropping.

I agree ONLY in theory but as we all know RCCL is in it for profits as any other business and as we have seen, the prices have not dropped even when they had taken away this perk.

13 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Price is why I went CP balcony for my upcoming sailing.  It was cheaper than an inside or ocean view room with the balcony discount.  I would rather have the $50 OBC than the wine I won't drink and the free lunch as I already have the Ultimate Dining Package.

Without the perks these balconies are likely going to remain cheap alternatives to insides as they don't have the incentives to help sell them any longer.

I've never been a fan of perks-based promos.  I prefer a la carte options.

Instead of:   Boardwalk/Central Park View Room + 2 drink packages + 4 meals at Johnny Rockets - $XXX

I prefer:

Boardwalk/Central Park View Room $YYY

2 drink packages - $ZZZ

Johnny Rockets meal - $WWW

They can offer bundles if they want.  But perks?  That gives the illusion that they're giving you something for free when you're actually paying for it!