Price Match Blunder!

DeanB

I listened to an old Podcast about price matching already booked cruises so I did some checking and found the cruise I've already booked for $140 cheaper than what I've booked. I called Royal Caribbean and got them to price match and after 40 minutes I was able to get the new price, but wait, there's more. 

Apparently because I was using my friends crew discount, they needed to cancel my cruise and rebook it, which was fine. There was one thing I didn't think about though. I had already booked my soda + stream package at an AWESOME price of $21AUD per day per person. But since they were canceling my booking I lost that price and had to re-purchase the soda + stream package at $33AUD per day per person... So in the end I basically lost money at this current point in time... I'll check every day for the soda + stream package to drop down in price, but until then my price match was just a price blunder!

On 9/19/2019 at 4:10 PM, twangster said:

Lesson learned. Repricing usually requires losing certain perks or benefits to take advantage of current promos.  . Particularly in your case if they have to cancel a booking and create a new one that is clue #1 you will have any cruise planner purchases cancelled. 

Next time you know the questions to ask.  

My biggest mistake was calling Royal Caribbean in the morning. I thought I'd have plenty of time but in the end I had to stay on the phone all the way to work so I didn't have enough time to figure out pricing and such!

On 9/19/2019 at 10:27 PM, RatedPG said:

How were you able to use a friend's crew discount?   I have friends working on several cruise lines.

He gave me his crew number and I had to call Royal to book the cruise. When they told me the price I mentioned I am going on the cruise to visit my friend (I think you can only use the code for the sailing your friend is on) and he proceeded to ask me for the crew number and the crew members name and voila price dropped!

For all those with the $18 drink package..... this could happen to you!

I have seen issues for name changes, dropping someone off the reservation, and adjustments to price.  And if you bought that package with an OBC then you need to settle in for your price.  It will drop off at that rate and then you have to buy - no way the savings for a new offer will offset in this case.

I was lucky to get the $18 drink package.  I did not use OBC to pay for it (because I didn't have any?).  There was a fairly significant price drop that I asked my MEI agent (Sharla) to take advantage of for me.  She explained that I could possibly lose the price on the package, but I decided that the fare savings was worth it.  Luckily, I got the price drop and kept my package!  Win/Win!  

23 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

For all those with the $18 drink package..... this could happen to you!

I have seen issues for name changes, dropping someone off the reservation, and adjustments to price.  And if you bought that package with an OBC then you need to settle in for your price.  It will drop off at that rate and then you have to buy - no way the savings for a new offer will offset in this case.

Thanks for the insight on this one @AnnetteJackson -- I am one of the beneficiary's of that epic fail.....  With that being said, I'm just going to leave my March Freedom sailing alone and count down the days.