Gifting A Cruise

PhantomWolf

I had put a deposit down for a sailing in 2020, and since then I have accepted a teaching position and it would be during the school year. 

I was wondering if you guys had any experience with gifting/transferring a sailing to someone else and if there are any suggestions of trying to do so as painlessly as possible.

My plan is to pay off the sailing and gift it to my mom for a milestone birthday.  Thinking an issue for her would be accessing the cruise planner on RC's website.

7 minutes ago, PhantomWolf said:

Thinking an issue for her would be accessing the cruise planner on RC's website.

I almost gifted my cruise on the Ovation but the call agent told me it could not be done because it was past the full payment date.  

If you can gift it to your mom, you can set up her Royal Caribbean account online yourself and handle the orders/purchases on the Cruise Planner.  When she gets on the ship, guest services can provide assistance for her.

28 minutes ago, PhantomWolf said:

I had put a deposit down for a sailing in 2020, and since then I have accepted a teaching position and it would be during the school year. 

I was wondering if you guys had any experience with gifting/transferring a sailing to someone else and if there are any suggestions of trying to do so as painlessly as possible.

My plan is to pay off the sailing and gift it to my mom for a milestone birthday.  Thinking an issue for her would be accessing the cruise planner on RC's website.

Is your mom originally one of the passengers on the sailing?  

4 minutes ago, PhantomWolf said:

No.  I am the only one listed on the itinerary.

In that case you have to remember that your deposit is tied to your name and can not be transferred. 

If you booked non-refundable then you can cancel but you will be issued a FCC for the amount of your deposit less the $100 change fee.  The FCC is tied to your name as well.

There really is no way to transfer a non-refundable booking to someone else's name as at least one of the original passengers has to remain named on the booking.

However if you booked refundable, then you are far enough out to cancel for a full refund and then you can go ahead and book and pay for a brand new cruise reservation for your mother.

35 minutes ago, PhantomWolf said:

At least 1 person from the original booking must remain on the booking.   If you booked a solo cruise, then there is no way to transfer that cruise to anyone else. Royal (and all cruise lines, I imagine) do this to preclude people from booking cruises when they are “cheap” and then selling them to others for a profit.  I realize that is not your motivation but the rule still applies.

Just now, PhantomWolf said:

Well that's all kind of unfortunate.  I'm now 0-2 this year with my Royal bookings... 

That stinks ?

In the future when you book solo you may want to consider booking a fake 2nd passenger if you're booking a cruise that has the 200% solo supplement.  That will allow you to add someone up to a few days before the sailing.  And if you end up going solo you will get refunded the port fees and taxes for the "no show".  Or make sure that you always book refundable if possible.  It may cost more, but sometimes it is less than the $100 you lose when you have to cancel a NRD.

14 hours ago, F1guynz said:

If the cabin is not a solo cabin could PhantomWolf just add is Mum as a second passenger and become a no show for the actual cruise?

She could try to do it that way but at that point it may reprice the room at the current prevailing rate which may be more than the $100 she will lose from cancelling.  Can't really hurt anything to try and see what happens!