miami - fort lauderdale

J_Keeble

I have a Western Caribbean cruise booked for October 8th on Oasis of the Seas, I am from England so will have flights etc.

I was wondering is it best to pre book transfers with RCCL or just pay for a taxi myself? I will be staying in Miami 3 night prior to the cruise. how far is Miami from the port ?

Bit of a Noob question I know but I'm sure you guys can help me out.

@ J_Keeble- I've lived in south Florida my entire life specifically Fort Lauderdale. It all boils down to what you are looking to do? Lifestyle? If your looking to party all night long and ok with paying tourist prices @ $20.00USD per drink then Miami (south beach) is your place. If you are traveling with a family or just looking to relax I highly suggest you stay on Fort Lauderdale Beach and maybe take a day or night trip to Miami Beach. Both cities are close enough together that it's neither here nor there as far as where you decide to stay. I can tell you this though, the traffic in Miami is HORRIBLE and nearly everyone speaks Spanish. Simply put, Fort Lauderdale is Miami minus the traffic and language barrier.

Ok your young @ looking for a good time. South Beach might be right for you and your partner. If you do decide to stay in Fort Lauderdale check out the W Fort Lauderdale beach, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach or the Atlantic Hotel. I believe you will like these hotels and they are right on the beach and appx 10 minutes from the cruise port (shuttle service available). By the way your gonna love Oasis of the seas it's simply amazing!

Miami is roughly 25 miles South of the Port Everglades. You could either take a cab $30-$40, uber or pre-arranged transportation. The better question is why Miami? Fort Lauderdale has great beaches, excellent dining and has a lot less traffic and confusion.

I got to agree with Tony on this.  Miami is way over rated

This has been super helpful to me - we're sailing out of Miami in Sept but are flying in to and staying in Fort Lauderdale the night before. Definitely looking for something quieter as opposed to Miami, and I know that area a bit better as far as restaurants. Good to know that a taxi is still a viable option, and that transportation options are readily available, as I was a little nervous. 

both airports have a transfer company called Go-Green and they have really cheap rates

and can transfer you to both ports.   Agree with others if you like the Night Life then

South Beach is good - or if you want both stay in North Miami Beach, a little quieter

and an easy cab ride to South Beach.

Ft Lauderdale I think has better beaches and still bars and places to eat

and Las Olas is a fun street but its different.  I even like the Hollywood

beach areas too - Like others have said for 3 days you are 20 min apart between

the cities so getting back and forth are easy