Dining Pet Peeve

PG Cruiser

I almost always cruise alone and I have developed this pet peeve when eating at the Windjammer and other similar places.  When I leave the table to get some water or get something from the buffet or for whatever reason, I often go back to an empty table - eager dining crew have cleared it out.  I'm planning to make some card signs saying "I'll be back, I'm not done yet".  What so you think?

Any other solutions you can suggest?  I know in formal dining, there are things you can do with the silverware to let the waitstaff know what you want.  How about at the Windjammer?

7 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

I almost always cruise alone and I have developed this pet peeve when eating at the Windjammer and other similar places.  When I leave the table to get some water or get something from the buffet or for whatever reason, I often go back to an empty table - eager dining crew have cleared it out.  I'm planning to make some card signs saying "I'll be back, I'm not done yet".  What so you think?

Any other solutions you can suggest?  I know in formal dining, there are things you can do with the flatware to let the waitstaff know what you want.  What about at the Windjammer?

Bring a book or magazine..or borrow one from the library on board.  Typically if you leave some kind of personal effect they may take away the dirty plate and silverware, but you will still come back to your seat remaining reserved with your item.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Bring a book or magazine..or borrow one from the library on board.  Typically if you leave some kind of personal effect they may take away the dirty plate and silverware, but you will still come back to your seat remaining reserved with your item.

I don't like carrying stuff.  I don't even take my drink package souvenir cup with me. That's how lazy I am. LOL  

But your suggestion has given me an idea.  I can grab a Cruise Compass from Guest Services and leave it on the table.  But that would only be a partial solution because part of the pet peeve is the waitstaff taking away my plate when I'm not done with my food yet.   One time I got some soup and bread.  I only left the table to grab a soup spoon.  When I went back, my food was gone.  (Another pet peeve of mine is forgetting to grab those soup spoons, but that is entirely my fault)

Yeah..I am not sure...I can see during the breakfast madness why it happens....but to be honest during suppertime I don't think I have ever had a meal in the WJ that was full and wait staff anxious to clear tables....but sure it happens more often than we know.

Only thing is to bring a personal effect or two to leave on the table....you don't like to carry stuff(and neither do I)..but it maybe worth it to avoid the aggravation.

1 hour ago, RatedPG said:

Now that is where my problem lies.  I like tables that are out of the way, like the ones on the open deck or what looks like the back room away from the buffet.

There are quite a few blog folks on your Odyssey cruise, so perhaps you won't have to dine alone and you will have someone there to protect your food from the waitstaff!

3 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Any other solutions you can suggest?  I know in formal dining, there are things you can do with the silverware to let the waitstaff know what you want.  How about at the Windjammer?

Reminds me of a story from my wife's childhood. Here family was out to dinner and her little brother finished her soup, because he thought she was done, when she only left the table to use the restroom!

2 minutes ago, marti314 said:

How great would it be for RCL or any buffet honestly to invest in 10 cent discs for each table like Brazilian Steakhouses use.  Yes there would still be some tables that do not use them and so the cleaning staff would have to make a best judgement but these could help tremendously.

image.png.81e4d06fdcabc7373e0699076d33447b.png

I would rather have the guests use what they have on them rather than something that's on the table at all times.  There is a greater probability that guests will not flip them to indicate that they are done and that will leave many unoccupied tables unavailable for other guests.

Just now, RatedPG said:

I would rather have the guests use what they have on them rather than something that's on the table at all times.  There is a greater probability that guests will not flip them to indicate that they are done and that will leave many unoccupied tables unavailable for other guests.

And thats different from today?  Isn't improving this by even 25% better than nothing?  I am like the original poster, i carry NOTHING with me and my GF and I always have to take turns going up to get food / drinks for this specific reason.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, RatedPG said:

I know in formal dining, there are things you can do with the silverware to let the waitstaff know what you want.  How about at the Windjammer?

Utensils parallel on your plate means you're finished & crossed like an X means you are still working on it, but severs don't serving your dish to the left and remove from the right doesn't even happen anymore on ships... so I doubt that would work for you.

flag the table with a book or grab one of the crew or a neighboring table and give them a head's up first before getting up.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I thought they served from the right and cleared from the left !

I've been eating for 66 years and I've never seen ANY of this before.  Very interesting !

Maybe the "signals" were last used on the Titanic ... and they sank with it ... ha ha

1 hour ago, F1guynz said:

I suggest taking a large orange cone and placing it on it the table. ??

These are used to ward off people for just about anything nowadays.

I was going to use some old evidence markers and  outline tape,  but this is more low key (and can be used as a beer bong if need be).  Plus, they're only $1.00 at Dollar Tree for the collapsible cones.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, RatedPG said:

I have the same issue when I sail, I normally get up and work out and grab a "pre breakfast" prior to the wife waking up, so I am there alone and have the same thing happen.  I also hate it when its not the waiter that moves your plate but someone else that comes in with family and takes your table while you are gone.   Like others have suggested I have resorted to leaving a personal item right there by my plate and that seems to suffice.  I have not had that problem since! 

12 hours ago, bhageerah said:

I have the same issue when I sail, I normally get up and work out and grab a "pre breakfast" prior to the wife waking up, so I am there alone and have the same thing happen.  I also hate it when its not the waiter that moves your plate but someone else that comes in with family and takes your table while you are gone.   Like others have suggested I have resorted to leaving a personal item right there by my plate and that seems to suffice.  I have not had that problem since! 

When a group "takes over" a table that I was using by myself, I just pull up a chair, sit down, and start eating.

"Oh, sorry. Didn't notice that you had joined me."

6 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Well I’ve seen it all now, he we sit waiting to be seated for our dining experience at Wonderland and notice the attire of several patrons that are in workout clothing to swim wear attire.

Same way I felt seeing someone in Coastal Kitchen in fuzzy pajama bottoms, slippers and a wife beater! Something I wouldn’t be seen at Walmart in much less in a nice restaurant!