Beach Bed on Chill Island

NancyL2648

We were on the Harmony for the extended cruise over Labor Day and we did a Day Bed on Chill Island and it was wonderful.  They do have waiters that walk around taking drink orders throughout the day.  It does make it very nice to not have to get up and down for cocktails all day long, but the swim up bar is very close as well as the Snack Shack and other necessities.  just for what it is worth, the day beds were great, that part of Chill Island is just that, CHILL.  Super quiet when we were there and the water was fantastic.  Hope you enjoy it if you do wind up getting it.

P.S. The price is for up to 4 people, so keep that in mind.  They do give you wristbands when you get there so it is limited to just those 4 people.

20190826_094540.jpg

The beds were pre-assigned.  When we got to our stateroom there was instructions and an assigned bed.  There is a map with it to show which beds are where.  Be sure to take the tram once you get off the pier, it will take you around to the check in concierge for the day beds.

8 hours ago, Brenna said:

@dahdoul44 thank you!!! I ordered a beach bed for our upcoming cruise but couldn't find much about their current conditions! so glad to see it looks like each bed also gets some chairs to lay out in the sun! 10 days until we are relaxing at Cococay 

You will love it.  The water was really nice when we were there, it was really hot so just being able to walk down the sand into the water was a plus.  Each Day Bed gets 2 lounges along with the bed so it is perfect for four people to "Chill".  Remember it includes 4 wristbands, so if it is just two of you, make some friends on the ship and invite them to hang with you.

I get the 4 wristbands for hanging out, but do kids count?

Is this scenario possible & how do we best allocate the wristbands:

I am disabled and will be the primary user of the beach bed.

My husband will be wandering around and he’ll be snorkelling and joining the kids at the pool, and popping in at random looking for shade.

My son and DIL will be snorkelling a bit with their two boys, but mostly they’ll be camped at the pool. The two young grandkids (5 & 8) will be wanting to spend their time snorkelling with their parents, playing at Splashaway and in the pool. However, the youngest will likely end up hanging around a bit with grandma after lunch.

My adult niece will be hanging out with me and her book for some of the time.

We can easily manage not being more than 4 present at any one time, and likely 1-3 most of the day.

Can anyone come & go in the Chill Island beach bed area, as this will be meet-up, drop-your-stuff, and say-hi-to-grandma central for the family?

Added Q: how far from the snorkelling area are the Chill Island beach beds?

This would be for an early Dec beach day, with only Mariner docked. Thanks!

I believe the way they work children is the same as when you book a cabin.  If you had to pay for the child to sail, than yes, they count. If you are talking about the 5 and 8 yo than yes, they count, just like a bungalow or cabana.

The wristbands are not going to be transferrable.  They basically waterproof paper band with a glue type adhesive.  You will not be able to take it off and switch it to one person from another.

They will only give you 4 wristbands and that is it.  If I read tour post correctly, you actually would have 7 people total in your party.  There will be a concierge and they WILL STOP the 3 without wristbands from entering.    It is understandable why they do this, you maybe honest and just a 5 min. drop off, pop in and leave, but others may not be that honest.  All of the sudden where they had an 80 person max  (let's say 20 beds X 4), now bc they allow everyone to pop in, they could have 150 passengers in that area at any given time.  

The last time we did the beds (prior to Perfect Day) they did it the same way they did with us this time when we rented a cabana.

•  They give you the directions to the concierge.  The principal passenger checks in and tells the concierge the other passengers that are allowed a wristlet.  You give their name and cabin number.  When that person shows up they tell them your name and they check them in and make sure they are on your list.
  •  I know one time when I passed the cabana concierge there were 3 people saying that they just wanted to pop in to say hello to a specific person in a cabana.  They replied NO.  The concierge did say if you want I will walk over to their cabana and ask them to come over to the desk to say hello to you, but we can't allow you in.  My guess is that this will be true for you too.  

When you ask about the snorkeling area are you asking where you get the gear, or where they actually swim to for snorkeling.  The snorkeling area is out there regardless whether you are in a lounger or the beds, basically that is due to how the beach area is designed.  If you have seen any pictures where you see the lifeguard platforms, it is still past that area.    

My suggestion is that you discuss with your family another meeting point.  For example, you stated they will be camping out by the pool.  The pool area is close to the grill for food.  So, although you have mobility issues, you might want to use that area as a staging area for you to pop over to see them.   The bathrooms are right next to Oasis lagoon, you can see the entrance to the pool area from the bathrooms, maybe a 2 min more walk to the lagoon pool.  Thus, if they get loungers closer to the entrance to the pool, by chill grill than it might be more doable for you.  

I am not sure what your mobility issues are, nor am I asking, but they do have beach wheelchairs, just realize somebody has to push.  I am not sure how you go about reserving one.  They are not like the ones on the ship, they have the big tires and are not electric.  They also have the trams and they run all day long, @ every 10 mins.  There are benches to sit on while you wait for the tram.  

Finally the only thing I can say from our last cruise where we did the cabana, the one thing I noticed was that by 3:00 the concierge attendants were non-existent.  All aboard for us was 5:15 (set sail was 6).  We left by 4:00 and passed the beach beds while riding the tram.  I would say 50%+ of the beach beds were already closed up (they cover the beds up for weather protection).  For our cabanas out of 20, maybe 4 still had people.   At every tram stop you saw the same thing, everything was emptying out really fast.  I think the main reasons why were simple:

1.  If you have early dining than you  are going to start packing up @ 3:30 so you can get back to the ship, change, take a shower and be ready for dinner
  2.  We docked early.  Our original debarkation time was 9.  They docked at 7:30, all of the crew was off the ship by 8.  They let us off by 8:30.  For most people 7 hrs was enough of sun and sand, so they started hauling out by 3:30  (we too were the only ship that day, Adventure of the Seas)

@GrandmaAirplane

One last thing.  My hubby and I have done Coco Cay in early November.  It might have been the 2x we did it, but it was chilly in the a.m. when we got to the beach.  Maybe it is our age (early 50s), but we wore light weight cotton sweaters in the a.m.  I think we went into the water @10 bc we needed the air temp to rise, but even still when I did the walk into the ocean, he heard me say loudly "OH that is EXPLETIVE cold!    My hubby had no issue at all, but he is what I call a beach baby.  I was fine by 11 bc the air temp was now higher than the water temp.

FWIW I am a sissy when it comes to water temps.  I like bath water temps, which is why I love the Solarium pools!

Thank you very much Pima1988 - that was very informative.

I’ll have to think hard about this one... especially given the weather and how little the others would be using the area that I intend to camp in. I need to seriously weigh the possibility of having to pay for two beach beds (and having one stay practically empty most of the time.)

Loungers are impossible for me to spend more than 20 minutes in one, and I will want to be part of my family’s day. A cabana doesn’t seem like the right option either, as the couch doesn’t look very comfortable for a lie-down.

If I were to book two Chill Island beach beds, how can I be sure that they be assigned next to each other?

Thanks again.

53 minutes ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

A cabana doesn’t seem like the right option either, as the couch doesn’t look very comfortable for a lie-down.

I will say that my husband slept on the sofa in our cabana,  it is fine to lie down on and take a nap.  It is deeper than you may think.  Hubby is 5'11 210 lbs.    They are firm, and plush.  I honestly can't remember if the back cushions were attached or not.  I just recall him sleeping on it, and I lifted his feet up so I could sit down, placed his feet on my lap while he was laying down.  My brother in law also slept on it during the day.  However, I will also say, this close to your sailing they maybe all sold out.   The bungalows also have a sofa, same style.  Bungalows only have 6 people, so you are still short 1 person since you have 7.

•  Your other problem would be if your hubby wants shade to lay down in and you need the sofa.  Unlike the beach bed, the sofa does not take 2.  He would be left to sitting in 1 of the 2 chairs.
1 hour ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

If I were to book two Chill Island beach beds, how can I be sure that they be assigned next to each other?

I cannot answer that question.  My suggestion would be to call RCCL directly and explain your situation.  

•  I know with our cabanas, which were pre-assigned like the beach beds, they assign by booking date/time.  IOWS, if you book 2 at the same time, they should be next to each other.  However, if you now add another bed, it may not be next to yours bc you booked yours way before you booked the 2nd one.  That being said, you are talking about a 30 second walk between the two beds.

10 hours ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

Thank you very much Pima1988 - that was very informative.

I’ll have to think hard about this one... especially given the weather and how little the others would be using the area that I intend to camp in. I need to seriously weigh the possibility of having to pay for two beach beds (and having one stay practically empty most of the time.)

Loungers are impossible for me to spend more than 20 minutes in one, and I will want to be part of my family’s day. A cabana doesn’t seem like the right option either, as the couch doesn’t look very comfortable for a lie-down.

Thanks again.

I'm talking out loud here but maybe it's possible for you to reach out to your Roll Call group to see if anyone (a party of 2) wants to share the cost of a Cabana with you so you can get their wristbands?  Based on the conversation, you only needed the wristbands for access so that your family can join you at your cabana. Plus you said there would only be 1-3 of you there at a time.  Offer them $10-$25 per wristband or whatever you think is fair.  They've already paid anyway so it's just money back for them.  You'll save them money and you wouldn't need to pay for a wasted cabana.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if south beach is offering beach beds now that the Coco Beach club has opened? Last night we went to book one for September 2020 and it showed as available in the planner but after booking the email confirmation stated location as "breezy bay" At chill island - NOT south beach. Calling RCI didn't help because the person had no clue if they were available on south beach and said it was a website glitch. We cancelled because if it's not south beach, we aren't interested.

As a related question, the map looks like the new Coco Beach Club has lots of beach beds but do we know if these are shaded? The map image suggests not...

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the advantage of the beach bed vs trying to get an umbrella and chairs? Is it the convenience of having a guaranteed spot? 

I’ll be at CocoCay in June and have water park passes. I’m considering the beach bed to enjoy after we visit the water park.  Would this be better than trying to find an umbrella? Would all the umbrellas run out?

14 hours ago, spursfreak21 said:

What’s the advantage of the beach bed vs trying to get an umbrella and chairs? Is it the convenience of having a guaranteed spot?

I think it's about having somewhere to lay out that's more comfortable, along with the amenities that a beach beg provides.

14 hours ago, spursfreak21 said:

Would all the umbrellas run out?

Absolutely not. There are SO many umbrellas.

• 1 year later...

As long as we've revived this thread... any snorkelers here?  Wondering if a Chill Island Cabana or a Chill Island Beach Bed is the better option for hubby to snorkel right from the beach?  I know there are other differences but that's the one question I can't seem to find an answer to.

1 hour ago, fa-li said:

As long as we've revived this thread... any snorkelers here?  Wondering if a Chill Island Cabana or a Chill Island Beach Bed is the better option for hubby to snorkel right from the beach?  I know there are other differences but that's the one question I can't seem to find an answer to.

The area in orange offshore on the left side of this cabana map is where the snorkel area is.  Both the Chill Island Day Beds and Cabanas are convenient to the snorkel area.

Chill Island Day Beds are to the lower right of the snorkel area, Chill Islands Cabanas to the upper right of the snorkel area.

1035522766_PDCCCabanaMapcopy.thumb.jpg.fb34af71c3e6e619b32a2bbf13b105dc.jpg

19 hours ago, JennieUnderwood said:

What is everyone's thoughts on best Beach Bed location? Currently have South Beach booked .... but not sure I think how far away from things it is. Ideally I'd like a great beach spot with no one or at least not a lot of people in front us and close-ish to amenities ?

Breezy Bay is closer to the action but busier.

South Beach has always been off the beaten path at CocoCay and remains so.  There are amenities there like bars but a longer walk to the Oasis lagoon pool.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:19 AM, Matt said:

Yes.

If you have a drink package, no additional cost. Otherwise, you pay for the drinks same as on the ship.

Just to clarify, the beach beds will have a waiter to bring drinks that we order?  I did not see that listed when we reserved one for an upcoming sailing.  We have DBP already.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, Pima1988 said:

I believe the way they work children is the same as when you book a cabin.  If you had to pay for the child to sail, than yes, they count. If you are talking about the 5 and 8 yo than yes, they count, just like a bungalow or cabana.

The wristbands are not going to be transferrable.  They basically waterproof paper band with a glue type adhesive.  You will not be able to take it off and switch it to one person from another.

They will only give you 4 wristbands and that is it.  If I read tour post correctly, you actually would have 7 people total in your party.  There will be a concierge and they WILL STOP the 3 without wristbands from entering.    It is understandable why they do this, you maybe honest and just a 5 min. drop off, pop in and leave, but others may not be that honest.  All of the sudden where they had an 80 person max  (let's say 20 beds X 4), now bc they allow everyone to pop in, they could have 150 passengers in that area at any given time.  

The last time we did the beds (prior to Perfect Day) they did it the same way they did with us this time when we rented a cabana.

•  They give you the directions to the concierge.  The principal passenger checks in and tells the concierge the other passengers that are allowed a wristlet.  You give their name and cabin number.  When that person shows up they tell them your name and they check them in and make sure they are on your list.
  •  I know one time when I passed the cabana concierge there were 3 people saying that they just wanted to pop in to say hello to a specific person in a cabana.  They replied NO.  The concierge did say if you want I will walk over to their cabana and ask them to come over to the desk to say hello to you, but we can't allow you in.  My guess is that this will be true for you too.  

When you ask about the snorkeling area are you asking where you get the gear, or where they actually swim to for snorkeling.  The snorkeling area is out there regardless whether you are in a lounger or the beds, basically that is due to how the beach area is designed.  If you have seen any pictures where you see the lifeguard platforms, it is still past that area.    

My suggestion is that you discuss with your family another meeting point.  For example, you stated they will be camping out by the pool.  The pool area is close to the grill for food.  So, although you have mobility issues, you might want to use that area as a staging area for you to pop over to see them.   The bathrooms are right next to Oasis lagoon, you can see the entrance to the pool area from the bathrooms, maybe a 2 min more walk to the lagoon pool.  Thus, if they get loungers closer to the entrance to the pool, by chill grill than it might be more doable for you.  

I am not sure what your mobility issues are, nor am I asking, but they do have beach wheelchairs, just realize somebody has to push.  I am not sure how you go about reserving one.  They are not like the ones on the ship, they have the big tires and are not electric.  They also have the trams and they run all day long, @ every 10 mins.  There are benches to sit on while you wait for the tram.  

Finally the only thing I can say from our last cruise where we did the cabana, the one thing I noticed was that by 3:00 the concierge attendants were non-existent.  All aboard for us was 5:15 (set sail was 6).  We left by 4:00 and passed the beach beds while riding the tram.  I would say 50%+ of the beach beds were already closed up (they cover the beds up for weather protection).  For our cabanas out of 20, maybe 4 still had people.   At every tram stop you saw the same thing, everything was emptying out really fast.  I think the main reasons why were simple:

1.  If you have early dining than you  are going to start packing up @ 3:30 so you can get back to the ship, change, take a shower and be ready for dinner
  2.  We docked early.  Our original debarkation time was 9.  They docked at 7:30, all of the crew was off the ship by 8.  They let us off by 8:30.  For most people 7 hrs was enough of sun and sand, so they started hauling out by 3:30  (we too were the only ship that day, Adventure of the Seas)

I am going on B2B cruises in December.  Each week goes to Coco Cay.  One week the ship departs at 3pm and the other 5pm.   I booked Cabana Beach Club for the day

we leave at 5pm.  Otherwise everyone has to leave by 2pm.     Times make a big difference.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2020 at 11:26 AM, Peachykeen said:

Does anyone know if south beach is offering beach beds now that the Coco Beach club has opened? Last night we went to book one for September 2020 and it showed as available in the planner but after booking the email confirmation stated location as "breezy bay" At chill island - NOT south beach. Calling RCI didn't help because the person had no clue if they were available on south beach and said it was a website glitch. We cancelled because if it's not south beach, we aren't interested.

As a related question, the map looks like the new Coco Beach Club has lots of beach beds but do we know if these are shaded? The map image suggests not...

I know this is an older posts but as cruising resumes, I am trying to decide on a beach bed for Chill Island or South Beach. Leaning towards South Beach.  Your posts seemed to indicate that you were only interested in South Beach. I'd love to hear your insights.