Labadee Zipline

Apatt08

Hey friends!! If my 9 yr old son chickens out and decides he doesn't want to do the zipline in Labadee, can I get my money back or is it a loss?  He says he wants to do it but I had a hard time getting him to go on roller coasters this summer at a small amusement park!  I am worried he will chicken out! 

I do not know the answer to your question about refunds but I hope your son gets to do the Labadee Zipline.  There is a practice run on a much smaller zipline before doing the real thing.  I have an extreme fear of heights but I was able to do it.

Let me mention however that he might need someone he knows to do it with him.  A 9-yr old might not be comfortable riding on a truck in the company of strangers.  It's a bumpy ride going up that hill.

EDIT:  I don't do roller coasters either but for some reason, ever since I did the zipline on Labadee, ziplining has become my thing.

I would ask about getting a refund in advance.  I would doubt if he takes the truck ride to the top he would get a full refund.  I think there must be a cost to that ride.  To be sure, call RCCL to ask them.  Keep in mind that if you book the excursion through the cruise planner that there is no cost to cancel it for whatever reason.

For me (a bit scared of heights) the worst part of the experience is waiting to go while standing on the edge of the platform.  It is high up!  I had no problem on the practice run, that was easy for me.  But the zip-line itself is real fun once you get going.  I say if you get a chance, it is worth doing at least once.  I know, it is not cheap.  You will probably get your best price booking in advance through the cruise planner.  Keep checking prices and if it goes down, just cancel and rebook to get the better price.

29 minutes ago, Apatt08 said:

thanks!  The lowest price I am seeing right now is 93.99, which I am not sure if that is really a sale or not!  Not sailing until January so I'll keep on eye on it!  We are all going to try it (family of 4) so we'll see! 

We did it twice, if memory serves me correctly, there are enough lines that you should all be able to go together; that might take the edge off for him.

The views alone are worth the money :).

538328_10150946702869842_1080065818_n.jpg

3 hours ago, YOLO said:

For me (a bit scared of heights) the worst part of the experience is waiting to go while standing on the edge of the platform.  It is high up!  I had no problem on the practice run, that was easy for me.  But the zip-line itself is real fun once you get going.  I say if you get a chance, it is worth doing at least once.  I know, it is not cheap.  You will probably get your best price booking in advance through the cruise planner.  Keep checking prices and if it goes down, just cancel and rebook to get the better price.

Same thing happened to me.  I could not look down while on the platform, but as soon as the operators let go of me, it was so awesome.  There was a sense of calm and tranquility that I could not describe.  Like I said,  the Labadee zipline experience got me into ziplining.

19 hours ago, YOLO said:

My first experience with zip lining was a tree top adventure in Jamaica.  I'm petrified of heights, but decided I had to challenge myself.  We booked the excursion far ahead of time and I had plenty of time to think about it.  I may have backed out, but my 25 yr old daughter (at the time) kept telling me that I would never go through with it.  My pride was at stake.

It turned out to be a frightening but amazing excursion.  We were brought up to the mountains and start a progression of 6 runs with hiking and climbing in-between.  The 1st run was only about 75 ft but each one progressed in length and height.  The last couple were past the point of return.  The only way back was to finish the excursion.  The final run was over 1200 ft long and 200 ft up over a canyon.  We couldn't see the end of the run which went back into the jungle.  While I was gliding along, I actually opened my eyes and took it all in.  Quite amazing.  Unfortunately, for the young lady coming a few people behind me, she screamed and cried the entire way and was in such a panic, she stopped herself about 100 ft short of the platform.  A guide had to hook up and go out to pull her in.

We've zip lined 2 more times since, but none have matched that first experience.

A couple of years ago, I took a video of my ride down the zipline using my digital camera and a wrist strap.  Perhaps, it does depend on weather conditions.   Another time, when I didn't have my camera, it was so windy that they were only letting people under 200 lbs. go down the zipline.  You should certainly ask about cameras when you check-in for the zipline on Labadee.

1 hour ago, gtgtgt said:

A couple of years ago, I took a video of my ride down the zipline using my digital camera and a wrist strap.  Perhaps, it does depend on weather conditions.   Another time, when I didn't have my camera, it was so windy that they were only letting people under 200 lbs. go down the zipline.  You should certainly ask about cameras when you check-in for the zipline on Labadee.

Their promo videos and photos show people with GoPros going down the zipline.  We made that argument with the operators but it didn't work.  

2 hours ago, gtgtgt said:

Yikes... That wouldn't be good. I hope they refund the money for the people who couldn't go down bc of the weight restriction. I have a head strap, wrist strap and chest strap so it would be essentially hands free for me... I'll definitely ask when I get there. Are the people operators RC employees or other?

On 9/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Are the people operators RC employees or other?

47 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I'm not sure whether they are contractors or employees.  But it seemed like they were not on the ship with us. I think they're based in Labadee.

All of the folks you see in Labadee are employees of Royal. They're a mix of full-time staff who live in Haiti and travel to Labadee each morning, and staff from the ship who you may or may not have seen and may not recognize -- entertainment staff, belowdecks crew, galley crew, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, Apatt08 said:

thanks!  The lowest price I am seeing right now is 93.99, which I am not sure if that is really a sale or not!  Not sailing until January so I'll keep on eye on it!  We are all going to try it (family of 4) so we'll see! 

We didn't book ours in advance and it was $105 per person when we were there a few weeks ago. I would say the $10 ish isn't worth booking it in advanced if you want him to try the zipline on the boat first. Not too much of a price difference. I believe my "tickets" delivered to my stateroom on the first day for my other excursions stated on them we had to give 48 hours notice for a full refund. 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, PG Cruiser said:

It all boils down to what the operators will say.  

Why did the weather affect your ability to take a picture or not......what am I missing?

I want it captured on video or pic..if not, I don't want to do it.....and I would want a refund.

24 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Why did the weather affect your ability to take a picture or not......what am I missing?

I want it captured on video or pic..if not, I don't want to do it.....and I would want a refund.

For the head and chest-mounted cameras they said that those can fly off in very windy weather.  For handhelds, they said they wanted us to have both our hands holding on to the handlebars.

Hurricane force winds??!..I don't know what kind straps you had but if my camera blows off..I think I have bigger worries about my own safety to be honest......

I will have to look into this..almost $300 Cad for the 2 of us to have a cpl seconds of fun..I want to record it to be able to look back and enjoy it..if not, I am not giving Royal my $300.......

I hope they let ppl know before they take them up..and I better look into the cancellation stipulations. Might not have been a god idea to pre-pay/book this.

The requirement to use both hands to hold the bar while going down is apparently variable based on how windy it is that day. If the wind isn't bad they're more OK with people going down with only one hand hanging on, or even no hands like you see in some of the promotional photos on the Cruise Planner. Long as you have a chest or head mount you'll most likely be OK.

There's actually a YouTube video out there of a young woman doing the zip line with her GoPro on a head mount, and almost as soon as they all started she reaches up and takes the camera off the head mount and holds it one hand while pointing it at herself, then back at the landscape; before she hits the ends she puts the camera back on the head mount so she can hold on with both hands for the sudden stop.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, Apatt08 said:

Hey friends!! If my 9 yr old son chickens out and decides he doesn't want to do the zipline in Labadee, can I get my money back or is it a loss?  He says he wants to do it but I had a hard time getting him to go on roller coasters this summer at a small amusement park!  I am worried he will chicken out! 

So, how did it go??