Chef's Table ??

MiamiLady305

I have not yet sailed on Symphony but I feel certain that they will offer Chef's Table.

Once your sailing begins offering food packages in the Cruise Planner, you will find the Chef's Table option in the Dining section. 

Back when I first did the Chef's Table, they only offered it once during a sailing.  I believe that nowadays they offer multiple chances to book the Chef's Table.

1 minute ago, MotleyCruiser said:

I'd love to try the Chef's table...I'm just too picky of an eater and it would be a waste for me to join them ? #ISuck

I dunno... for about the same price, maybe a bit more, you could go to Vintages and just get a glass of everything they serve at a typical CT. You get to enjoy one of the best parts, that way! ?

26 minutes ago, MotleyCruiser said:

I'd love to try the Chef's table...I'm just too picky of an eater and it would be a waste for me to join them ? #ISuck

I'm actually a pretty picky eater, too.  If not picky, a bit pedestrian, perhaps.  I really enjoyed the Chef's Table both times that I did it.  I found the company to be a more enjoyable part of the meal than the food, itself.  I am also not a wine drinker, but found that I enjoyed the wine (perhaps the effects ?).  I would recommend for everyone to do it once...

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm actually a pretty picky eater, too.  If not picky, a bit pedestrian, perhaps.  I really enjoyed the Chef's Table both times that I did it.  I found the company to be a more enjoyable part of the meal than the food, itself.  I am also not a wine drinker, but found that I enjoyed the wine (perhaps the effects ?).  I would recommend for everyone to do it once...

I second this. Not about the food part as much as the company and the wine. I had such a great group of people. 

1 hour ago, Fairlynew said:

What is reasonable price for Chef’s Table?   I’ve been watching and it hasn’t dropped below $94.99 for my March sailing on Oasis.  That seems high.   On other sailings I’ve seen for about $10 less.  

I think they may have raised the price for late 2019 and 2020 sailings. I’ve seen the same price as you for my Anthem sailing, after paying $10 less to do it on Freedom last year and seeing the same lower price on Anthem last year.

• 9 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have not yet sailed on Symphony but I feel certain that they will offer Chef's Table.

Once your sailing begins offering food packages in the Cruise Planner, you will find the Chef's Table option in the Dining section. 

Back when I first did the Chef's Table, they only offered it once during a sailing.  I believe that nowadays they offer multiple chances to book the Chef's Table.

When we sailed Symphony in the summer of '18, we asked about the chef's table.  At that time (and we haven't sailed her since then), they made a decision not to offer a chef's table because of the large number of dining venues on the ship.  Do not know if that's changed, but we really enjoy them.  First one we did was on Oasis and it was a great experience.

It has not returned to Symphony.  I have a sailing in May 2021 and my TA said Symphony never has and most likely never will have the Chef's table.

I am probably like @WAAAYTOOO not too picky, but I am not adventurous as my husband.  Let's put it this way...snails....I'll pass on it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  Same with sushi!  Now if you offered me any Indian dish, including goat and I am good to go!  

The 1st time we did the Chef's table and I looked at the menu I swore I was only going to like maybe 3 items.  I decided I would at least take 1 bite.  To my surprise I enjoyed every single item they served.  After that we have always done it on any ship that offers this option.

To me I think they try to push the envelope just a tad.  For example, the soup was a smoke tomato bisque with parmesan croutons.  The scallops were served as shaved carpaccio with some type of vinegarette.    The fish was branzino with parsnip puree.  The steak course was a filet with asparagus (can't recall how it was created).   As you can see it is not too far out there, just enough to make you feel like you are getting a meal that can't be found anywhere else on the ship.

The Chef's that come out to meet you are typically the Executive from 1 of the Specialty restaurants.  They are usually the highest end restaurant.  IE.  On Adventure Chops is their highest end, so that was our chef.  On Anthem,, we had the Wonderland chef since they classify that as the highest end.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Chef's Table.  I think the combination of the pairings, the food and the company is just unbeatable.  The first time I did it the chef was so animated and passionate about what he made you couldn't help but like it.

The food is great and the wine pairings are fun.  I think if you DON'T have the drink package its a real steal  For basically little more than you would pay for the wine you get a great specialty restaurant meal.  

The problem I have with it now is that menu now seems to be static.  I'm not sure what ship @Pima1988 was on but the last two times I was on Anthem it was the same as was mentioned above.  I asked about it and they said they wanted to standardize it across the fleet which I get but I'd rather a chef get creative with something, maybe add in a unique dish from where they're from and make it a truly unique experience rather than something that's standard across the fleet.

19 hours ago, Drewww said:

I'm not sure what ship @Pima1988 was on but the last two times I was on Anthem it was the same as was mentioned above.  I asked about it and they said they wanted to standardize it across the fleet which I get

This is what I don't get. It's called Chef's Table, and it's supposed to allow a chef to get creative and put his personal spin on things. If it's standardized fleet-wide, then it's nothing more than a glorified specialty dining option that happens to include a decent selection of wine in the charge.

I really hope they roll back that decision, especially as they're having to make all these adjustments around getting sailings going again. By making the Chef's Table a personal thing again for each ship's chef, it improves the draw and gives the people sailing a reason to want to book it on every ship.

This is, of course, assuming that Chef's Table isn't done away with for a time -- hard to social distance when you're at a big round table with a bunch of strangers and getting animated as the wine flows. ? 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:26 PM, JLMoran said:

This is what I don't get. It's called Chef's Table, and it's supposed to allow a chef to get creative and put his personal spin on things. If it's standardized fleet-wide, then it's nothing more than a glorified specialty dining option that happens to include a decent selection of wine in the charge.

I really hope they roll back that decision, especially as they're having to make all these adjustments around getting sailings going again. By making the Chef's Table a personal thing again for each ship's chef, it improves the draw and gives the people sailing a reason to want to book it on every ship.

This is, of course, assuming that Chef's Table isn't done away with for a time -- hard to social distance when you're at a big round table with a bunch of strangers and getting animated as the wine flows. ? 

I understand that they need to make sure it meets a certain level which is why they want to standardize it but I agree with you that it should be something unique 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:26 AM, JLMoran said:

Bingo!   Totally agree!  Used to showcase the chef and his team's artistic license.