Onboard Credit Matching?

S.Marie

Hi All! Have you had any success with any TA when it comes to onboard credit matching? Say for example, you got a good rate with onboard credit so you move forward with booking the cruise with that TA. Then you find the same rate but better onboard credit offers for the same type of room. What would you do? Do you go back to the TA you booked with to ask if they can match that onboard credit offer? Or do you cancel with the TA and then rebook with the other TA? The deposit is refundable by the way. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Generally speaking TAs wont match other TAs offers. Unless your cruise fare will rival that of a new car, TAs make very little commission on individual bookings. 

That being said, if Royal Caribbean offers OBC and you book and then there's a new sale later on that offers more OBC, you might be able to reprice your cruise fare at that point to take advantage of it. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Generally speaking TAs wont match other TAs offers. Unless your cruise fare will rival that of a new car, TAs make very little commission on individual bookings. 

That being said, if Royal Caribbean offers OBC and you book and then there's a new sale later on that offers more OBC, you might be able to reprice your cruise fare at that point to take advantage of it. 

Thanks, Matt! Is it frowned upon to cancel with one TA to go with another? I have a number of cruises lined up but want to make sure I’m getting the best deal.

2 hours ago, S.Marie said:

Is it frowned upon to cancel with one TA to go with another?

You can certainly book one sailing with one agency, and another sailing with a different agency.

Moving a booking from one agent to another is a bit of a faux pas.

Looking at this another way, I have basically "interviewed" by phone my Travel Agents. In this age of the internet I always did things myself and felt very comfortable with it. Then I heard someone on the Disney blog speaking to "always using a TA" and the reasons why. I spoke to numerous ones over the phone and have cultivated an amazing relationship with my DCL TA  over the years, so many previous cruises. I always felt comfortable knowing she was on my side keeping my family and our reservation at the best price possible, I sailed with DCL 10 X and actually felt a loss when I realized she ONLY booked Disney properties/cruises/vacations. I found this blog because of Scott Sanders at the DCL blog (he gave me the info and website & spoke highly of Matt) and once again "interviewed" for the position. Sharla of MEI was my cruise professional, when I speak to her or email her I feel like I am her top priority. My comfort in knowing I am receiving the best deal (while really nice, OBC is not the be all end all) lies solely in the fact of my relationship with her. I trust her with my family's vacation and believe finding a TA that you can TRUST is priceless!

3 hours ago, Neesa said:

Looking at this another way, I have basically "interviewed" by phone my Travel Agents. In this age of the internet I always did things myself and felt very comfortable with it. Then I heard someone on the Disney blog speaking to "always using a TA" and the reasons why. I spoke to numerous ones over the phone and have cultivated an amazing relationship with my DCL TA  over the years, so many previous cruises. I always felt comfortable knowing she was on my side keeping my family and our reservation at the best price possible, I sailed with DCL 10 X and actually felt a loss when I realized she ONLY booked Disney properties/cruises/vacations. I found this blog because of Scott Sanders at the DCL blog (he gave me the info and website & spoke highly of Matt) and once again "interviewed" for the position. Sharla of MEI was my cruise professional, when I speak to her or email her I feel like I am her top priority. My comfort in knowing I am receiving the best deal (while really nice, OBC is not the be all end all) lies solely in the fact of my relationship with her. I trust her with my family's vacation and believe finding a TA that you can TRUST is priceless!

That was such a wonderful post, @Neesa! I have used 3 different TAs in the past but didn’t find one that I love just yet. Hoping that I establish great relationships with the ones I am using for my future cruises ?